Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - How to do tranny fluid drain & fill on a 2012 mazda6 when there's no dipstick?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
pa2ad0x
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone thank you so much for all of the detailed responses. It seems that a majority of you are in favor of getting your own tranny fluid and changing it yourself using the drain&fill method!

I will take your recommendation and try to find the longer dipstick and tube part from older year models (I'm assuming from any 2nd gen Mazda6 from '09-11 will install ok on my 2012 without need for modification)? And which parts websites do you recommend ordering the parts from? Any part #'s in specific you can give me? I tried searching for the name of the 5-speed transmission used in my '12 mazda6 with the 2.5 I4 but no luck - anyone know what transmission we use? Is it the same as the V6 (AW6A-EL)?

Also, what are your opinions on changing the transmission filter? I heard in 2nd gen models it is just a screen built into the transmission and cannot be changed out? Or can it? And if so is it recommended to change out the transmission filter on '10-12 models?

UPDATE: So I found the parts on jimellismazdaparts.com (link http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/sh...category=20243

Parts are listed under 2010 Transmission Parts as "Tube, Oil Level" and "Gauge, Oil Level" which I assume are the dipstick and tube for the transmission. Funny thing is if you look for these parts on the 2011-2012 year models they don't exist lol. I guess Mazda really doesn't want us doing our own transmission fluid maintenance.

Btw what is verdict on changing the transmission filter. I think I see it listed as "Strainer, Oil" on the list of transmission parts going for about $80. Is it worth it to change it??

Last edited by pa2ad0x; 01-06-2014 at 08:48 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome