Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - How to do tranny fluid drain & fill on a 2012 mazda6 when there's no dipstick?
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Final Impact

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
The DIY FLUSH at home is bad idea.
DIY drain and refill at home is OK.
Gripe w/paid Flush, is the workmanship and standards.

DIY FLUSH:
I've read where many member disconnect an ATX coolant line with the engine running and just let it pump out fluid till it stops. The issue here is there is NOTHING going back in to cool and lubricate. The return line on an ATX trasn is there to supply vital organs the lubricant they need to operate. Its not full line pressure but it is required. This is like pulling an artery from your chest and letting you bleed out. Not good. Fluids must be going back in to the return line!

DIY Drain:
At home you CAN dump the fluid via the plug. And you can refill. The issue here the verifying its full. An ATX must be checked while running, warm, in park. The mini dipstick is NOT friendly for this. Being low a pint is not good but would likely be OK. Being low a full qt is another issue.
It has a plug and filler. Its tedious but it can be done.

An option is this:
Look into buying the dip-stick and tube from the early models. Its a good chance they bolt up and if the fluid level comes out correct, your set. Mine has the AW6A-EL for the V6. They carried it into the later years. It most likely fits right on the trans using the same bolts & orings.

Gripe w/paid Flush:
Some shops mix the fluids on the fly from base stock adding the **required** additives and hopefully the correct amount. I personally don't trust them. But that's just me.
IMO - if they won't or can't explain their process in detail about what they intend to do, walk away. Ask probing questions. Its OK to do this!

Lastly; the issues with any flush/fill is this: if the trans fluid is varnished, the loss of that varnish can cause an aged transmission to fail and no longer operate as it did. Varnish is a film. It fills voids and gaps. ATF if extremely high in detergent and fresh ATF dissolves varnish. In short if your fluid is yellow, you could be in trouble with a fluid replacement where letting it go it may in fact go a whole nother year before death overcomes it.

JMO - use it as you wish...

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >119,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Final Impact For This Useful Post:
richard p (03-28-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome