Mazda 6 Forums banner

Rear driver side rim seized to hub - tried a bunch of stuff, need advice

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bluriest 
#1 ·
2007 6i sport with the 17s

Went to rotate my tires, first time since I had new tires put on back in the spring. The other 3 came off reasonably easy but the driver rear is seized up good. It's like the god damn thing is epoxied on there. I've tried the following, all on jack stands unless otherwise noted:

1) Shaking with my hands back and forth while rotating the wheel
2) Kicking at 90 degree angles
3) Flat on my back kicking old timer style until i though the jacks stands were going to give out
4) Spraying WD-40 liberally into the lugs and the hub where it meets the rim, letting sit overnight and trying 1-3 again
5) Getting a pry bar between the wheel well and tire and prying back
6) Hitting around the rim and tire with a rubber mallet
7) Hitting the rim with an 8lbs sledge with a 2x6 across the bottom of the tire until the 2x6 split
8) 6 and 7 with my wife standing on the brake pedal
9) Putting the lugs loose and dropping down to the ground
10) With the lugs a couple threads loose rolling 4-5 feet and slamming on the breaks, reverse slam on the breaks, repeat 3-4 times.
11) taking the broken piece of 2x6 from under the car braced against the inside of the rim and banging with a hammer

All unsuccessful. I am officially out of friggin ideas. My next stop is the mechanic. Any other ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Theres another penetrating oil called Moovit that may be worth a shot, penetrates a little better than WD-40 or try some other penetrating oils.

#6 ·
Glad to see you got it off.

My buddy got a flat in a baaaaaaad part of town (actually, it was a nice neighborhood, but he was stranded in his girlfriend's driveway that he JUST broke up with who had called a tow truck) and we couldn't get the wheel off his Crown Vic.

All we had were the tire changing tools from both our cars, no rust-b-gone or mallets etc. So I remembered a trick I saw a truck do at Walmart to solve the same prob. All he did was almost put the nuts back on all the way, about a millimeter between the rim and the nut. Dropped his tuck back down and did a quick figure-8. Jacked it up and the wheel came off right away.

Wouldn't work with a total flat, you'd eff up the rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.