Mazda 6 Forums banner

CEL Light Came On This Morning

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  07Mazda6i 
#1 ·
Ok so I have an 07 Mazda 6i with 43,000 miles on it. Got in my car this morning turned it on and there it was staring me in the face the CEL. I drove to work and the car seemed to ride as normal. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I know it can be 10,000 things but maybe I'll get lucky. Any ideas? Thanks!

#2 ·
1. Check the gas cap. Make sure it's as tight as it can get.
2. Go to a local auto parts store (Autozone, Advanced Auto, NAPA, etc.) and borrow a scanner that is CAN-compatible. Follow the instructions, and it should give you a code that's causing the CEL. Check back when you have the code.

#3 ·
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Jul 28 2009, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1586356
1. Check the gas cap. Make sure it's as tight as it can get.
2. Go to a local auto parts store (Autozone, Advanced Auto, NAPA, etc.) and borrow a scanner that is CAN-compatible. Follow the instructions, and it should give you a code that's causing the CEL. Check back when you have the code.[/b]
When I go to AutoZone what do you mean by borrow a scanner? They will let me borrow it or I'll have to pay them to run the scan? Thanks for reply.

#4 ·
QUOTE (07Mazda6i @ Jul 28 2009, 10:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1586357
When I go to AutoZone what do you mean by borrow a scanner? They will let me borrow it or I'll have to pay them to run the scan? Thanks for reply.[/b]
You may have to give them your license to hold while you have the scanner, but they usually don't charge for the <5 minutes you'll be using it.

#8 ·
QUOTE (07Mazda6i @ Jul 28 2009, 10:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1586371
Alright awesome thanks for the quick reply it's much appreciated. I'm at work until 4 PM EST so I'll be back a bit later with the CEL code. I'm assuming the scanner has a screen built onto it to read the code out to you once it has finished the scan?[/b]
See post 6. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.