Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum (https://forum.mazda6club.com/)
-   3.7L V6 (https://forum.mazda6club.com/394-3-7l-v6/)
-   -   Oil in the intake (https://forum.mazda6club.com/3-7l-v6/436904-oil-intake.html)

Flyinace1 09-19-2018 09:33 PM

Oil in the intake

I pulled the intake manifold to do my spark plugs and discovered oil in the intake. What would cause this? And how hard is it to fix?

idrive 09-19-2018 10:57 PM

Need a little more info.

Year
Miles
Running a standard OEM air filter?
Engine bay clean, not smoking/burning oil?
Engine use much oil in between oil changes?

Flyinace1 09-20-2018 12:05 AM

2009 mazda6 s. 180,000ish miles, all stock. I didn't have oil issues until recently. No drips. Oil light will blink on every now and then so briefly it's hard to notice.

Iamadoorknob 09-20-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyinace1 (Post 5020822)
2009 mazda6 s. 180,000ish miles, all stock. I didn't have oil issues until recently. No drips. Oil light will blink on every now and then so briefly it's hard to notice.

Have you ever replaced the PCV valve? If the spring on it is wearing out, that could be letting too much oil from the crankcase into the intake. That would be my first step, since it's such a cheap part. I know all PCV systems have the potential to let some amount of oil into the intake, but anything else would be beyond my limited expertise.

idrive 09-20-2018 01:11 AM

^^ Year and mileage this (PCV) is the best place to start .

I would assume if you see the oil light blink you're checking the oil level?

Flyinace1 09-20-2018 08:24 AM

Yes, I check the oil regularly. I'll check the pcv valve. I've never changed it.

Get Inline 09-20-2018 10:41 AM

Does the oil light start blinking when you are idling or driving? When was the last time you changed your oil? level is good? oil is clean?

To check your PCV valve, with your engine running take off your oil filler cap and put a plastic bag over the opening. If you feel suction trying to pull the bag into the crankcase, your PCV is good. no air suction = faulty PCV.

Have you checked for oil leaks?

Flyinace1 10-02-2018 09:11 AM

So, I replaced the pcv valve. It seemed that was bad and it was only a $5 part.
When I changed my spark plugs, I found a thick, kind of sticky oily like substance on the threads and in the wells of all 6 plugs. It didn't seem like fresh oil though. Anyways, I fear I may have a leaky gasket. I'll pull the easier 3 plugs after a little driving and see if anymore has accumulated. If so, how hard is it to change the valve gasket?

Iamadoorknob 10-02-2018 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyinace1 (Post 5022478)
So, I replaced the pcv valve. It seemed that was bad and it was only a $5 part.
When I changed my spark plugs, I found a thick, kind of sticky oily like substance on the threads and in the wells of all 6 plugs. It didn't seem like fresh oil though. Anyways, I fear I may have a leaky gasket. I'll pull the easier 3 plugs after a little driving and see if anymore has accumulated. If so, how hard is it to change the valve gasket?

You lost me with that last question, why would you suspect the valve gasket? Is this some other unrelated thing that you didn't mention before?

Flyinace1 10-02-2018 05:05 PM

Is it not the valve gasket that would need replacing if there is oil on the spark plugs?