3.7L engine failure-looking for owners who lost engines - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
BTW the SkyActiv engines have an EXTERNAL water pump driven by a "stretchy belt" (no tensioner required) so WHEN the seal fails it leaks coolant but doesn't blow up the engine, provided you don't let it overheat. It also looks like it's reasonably easy to change the pump as well.

I STRONGLY dislike any engine design that has anything other than oil-lubricated parts driven by a timing chain. Timing chains have no service interval BUT that doesn't mean they never fail -- they do, it's just that in nearly every case they announce it well in advance with a nice amount of noise so even modest attention to how your car sounds and is running will disclose the problem in plenty of time to fix it. By contrast timing BELTS have a nasty habit of breaking without any warning whatsoever, and if it's an interference engine (most are these days) you just bought at least a cylinder head rework and quite possibly pistons and/or rods too.
Timing chains are generally more noisy but the biggest benefit is that they make noise when they are failing.

Generally speaking, changing your oil on time is one way to help keep your timing chain healthy. Engines full of sludge will strain the chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine went out last month just like yours at 126K, I had to beg for $1000 on trade in for a KIA.

"My beloved 2009 6GT bit the bullet last Saturday at 126k, no warnings, no lights and the coolant system was service June 2017 at 107K by Mazda. All the coolant was pushed into the oil and the head gasket blew. This engine got religious OCI of 4k with quality oils. I would say if you are over 100K get it all done or trade it in ASAP.

I begged for $1000 on trade in"

Last edited by JeepRubicon2k3; 09-28-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I agree it's an uphill battle, but send me a PM if you want to continue looking into this. I had a water pump failure on a 2013 Taurus with the 3.5 with 135k on it. Full service records (including coolant flush around 100k). Repair was $2000 but the engine appeared to be ok afterwards. But knowing the engine had overheated and oil/coolant mixed befcause of the failure, I went ahead and sold it to buy my Mazda6.

2018 Mazda6 GTR - 2016 Ford Mustang - 1988 F-150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I do have maintenance records, no offense taken. And I also understand that nothing lasts forever. A car with 140k miles is on the back end of its lifespan. For sure. Although we have a Subaru Forester running nicely at 165k miles and I am sure there are plenty of auto models that get 200 and 300k miles.

But that's not the issue. The failure of a $200 part should not take out the engine. It's a design issue. And it can affect resale for a vehicle if the engine is likely to fail at a certain point. There are thousands of Ford owners who have the same issue on their vehicles.

A class action suit has been filed against Ford for the Duratec engine failures. I spoke to the lawfirm that filed and they are willing to amend the complaint and add Mazda. But I need to find more owners who had the engine failure. The courts agree with the majority of you, that past 100k a car is bound to have defects and that's just tough luck for the owner, so owners with under 100K miles are needed. So if you or anyone you know had this issue, contact me or go direct to the lawfirm. Their name is Kessler Topaz Meltzer and Check, out of Pennsylvania. I spoke to a guy named Jim Maro.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
A hobby chasing class action lawsuits is a waste of time. You are already out of the lawsuit via the miles on your engine. Why do feel so duty bound to chasing something that will never benefit you in any way?

If a settlement ever comes and I do mean IF, it might be enough to buy dinner one night, maybe.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM97027 View Post
The failure of a $200 part should not take out the engine. It's a design issue. And it can affect resale for a vehicle if the engine is likely to fail at a certain point. There are thousands of Ford owners who have the same issue on their vehicles.
My Dodge was killed by a $35 timing belt. A $6 wrist pin failure will lead to catastrophic motor detonation.I would argue price is irrelevant. I would love to say that 100,000mi is a reasonable distance to expect out of a machine like an automobile but I realize they are "durable goods" and only expected to last 3 years. For me that means 15,000mi and anything after that is gravy. Yes, that notion is not grounded in reality but this is the world we live in.

I empathize with your situation. I am frequently forgoing music on my ride home so I can listen to the motor and transmission (not to mention bearings everywhere). I own a 2004 V6 ATX, and if you would like to talk about design flaws (present in any engineering endeavor) I can converse for a while. Ever own an Italian car? I had a $25 part on my Mazda 6 cause over $2000 damage in parts alone and that was at 126,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM97027 View Post
A class action suit has been filed against Ford for the Duratec engine failures. I spoke to the lawfirm that filed and they are willing to amend the complaint and add Mazda. But I need to find more owners who had the engine failure. The courts agree with the majority of you, that past 100k a car is bound to have defects and that's just tough luck for the owner, so owners with under 100K miles are needed. So if you or anyone you know had this issue, contact me or go direct to the lawfirm. Their name is Kessler Topaz Meltzer and Check, out of Pennsylvania. I spoke to a guy named Jim Maro.

I wish you the best of fortune. Perhaps my cynicism for corporations "coming through" in any capacity for the regular Joe is dominating my response. I did get $4.13 from one of those lawsuits once so maybe it is not technically worthless.

I wish there were more like you among us.

Godspeed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
The one thing I will never understand is why most people simply dispose of a car that needs a new engine and rush out and replace it. If you have the disposable income then it is not so much of a big deal, but ditching a paid off car for a new fresh loan to me is insane. In my mind, replacing that engine is FAR cheaper than another car.

I know I am of a very small minority, but if I cannot buy a car for the cash I have saved then I cannot buy a car. I don't even like the idea I have a mortgage, but we do concentrate on paying it down.

Simply put, if you can afford to buy a new car with no loan then it could be a viable choice, but if you have to get a loan it is FAR more financially prudent to take out a much smaller personal loan and fix the car you have.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page