2nd Gen 3.7 waterpumps - longevity? - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1200 View Post
@dmperfection101

Kind of curious, your water pump failed a few weeks after buying the car but you were also inquiring about it 10 days before you reported that it failed... did the seller tell you it was bad?
No, no indication or hestiation when I looked the seller dead straight in the eyes and asked if there were any known issues.

I did all my homework on the car. CarFax, called the dealers that the car had been serviced at and obtained service records that showed all repairs and frequent oil changes, etc. I test drove the car and all. On paper, this was a very well maintained car. Later, when I had the failed water pump replaced, I had pictures taken of all the insides and went to the shop to inspect; all internals were prestine like it really had been taken care of. The shop couldn't give me a specific cause for the failure other than, "water pumps fail and aren't intended to be a lifelong part."

The shop also added to my earlier, what the fuck was Mazda/Ford thinking when they buried the waterpump in a place that requires the entire engine to be pulled to replace the damn thing.

My initial inquiries were based on my research in buying a 3.7l and several horror stories posted on the web by others. This duratec design was shared with Mazda, Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury (Milan, I believe). But the failures I was reading about were within initial 36k miles or just past that mark. The disposition of those cases varied between whole engines replaced under warranty or someone shelling out $8k for a new engine.

It's a fully loaded 6s GT. I fell in love and took the gamble. Water pump failed, it was fixed with no detrimental damage, and to date it's running fantastic. One year later, I still love the car and don't regret it. With new waterpump and timing chain that was replaced at once, I figure I'm good for a while, and it cost me less than a third of a new 6.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Appreciate the info.

I just found odd that it failed 10 days after you inquired about its reliability... what a coincidence !
I was looking for common issues on the Gen II - V6 (here's why) and came across your thread. After seeing what happened to you, I won't ask anything if I do buy it

How much was it for parts and labor?

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1200 View Post
Appreciate the info.

I just found odd that it failed 10 days after you inquired about its reliability... what a coincidence !
I was looking for common issues on the Gen II - V6 (here's why) and came across your thread. After seeing what happened to you, I won't ask anything if I do buy it

How much was it for parts and labor?
I read your post and responses; I didn't know that only about 10 percent of the 6 model were sold as V6.

I've been wondering why my V6 is only the third I've seen on the road in the last year. I've seen a half dozen non-V6. But by far, I've seen way more 1st gen 6 and 3rd Gen.

Also, when you visit all the 2nd Gen 6 forums, all you hear are crickets.

The cost to replace the Water pump? Well, this is where most would cringe and walk away. Labor alone, will run between $2,500 and $3,300. The entire engine assembly has to come out to allow space to gain access to pump that is driven by timing chain. Parts, roughly $300 to $500. You want to do timing chain and guides while in there. I went shopping around to dealer, then local reputable shops and drove down to talk to them. I believe what I paid was fair and reasonable. It hurt my wallet, but in the end I was happy.

The golden rule of buying used is that you take on the risk. And even when you do your homework, risk isn't completely averted. So, use that as your leverage to negotiate the lowest price and save yourself some money that you may need later for repairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This just happened to me, water pump-failure at 225 000km or (139k miles for my american friends) took the engine with it. Decided to go install a used one for 2400$ engine+install (or so i thought) since the car is still beautiful. The shop never did change it i'm about 99% sure of it as it failed about 12hours later.

I'm going into legal proceedings against the shop but before i submit everything to court and before going to the dealership to have them confirm that its indeed the original engine, id like to know: do our engines have a serial number that matches the one of the car? i was not able to find conclusive info about that. any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBreeze87 View Post
This just happened to me, water pump-failure at 225 000km or (139k miles for my american friends) took the engine with it. Decided to go install a used one for 2400$ engine+install (or so i thought) since the car is still beautiful. The shop never did change it i'm about 99% sure of it as it failed about 12hours later.

I'm going into legal proceedings against the shop but before i submit everything to court and before going to the dealership to have them confirm that its indeed the original engine, id like to know: do our engines have a serial number that matches the one of the car? i was not able to find conclusive info about that. any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
I'm only aware of an engine number, not necessarily serial.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My beloved 2009 6GT bit the bullet last Saturday at 126k, no warnings, no lights and the coolant system was service June 2017 at 107K by Mazda. All the coolant was pushed into the oil and the head gasket blew. This engine got religious OCI of 4k with quality oils. I would say if you are over 100K get it all done or trade it in ASAP.

I begged for $1000 on trade in

Last edited by JeepRubicon2k3; 08-16-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page