White smoke from engine on startup - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
White smoke from engine on startup

This weekend I took my IM (Intake manifold) off, to make my life easier for replacing my pcv. Which, the dealership ordered the wrong one, and are trying to ship in the old hose, rather than the new reinforced one, but that's another story.

While everything was off, I decided to clean up my IM and make the front valve cover a little more presentable. I had covered everything up, and I used just a wee bit of degreaser and a scrubby brush.

That was yesterday morning. This morning I put everything back together, and decided to start it up. Car cranks over, starts right up. I get out to double check everything, and the engine is smoking a fair bit from the front. Smells of burning oil. Shit.

It's kind of hard to determine where exactly it's coming from, but it appears that the smoke is coming from the top of the exhaust manifold near the O2 sensor at the front. Hard to really see. I didn't mess with anything around there. I don't know why it's like that.

Any ideas as to what would be causing this?

On a side note; the gasket on the right side coming from the valve cover has been a bit shot for a bit now, just because I haven't had the money to really fix it.. has anyone replaced that gasket themselves? I'd love to, but am not sure if it's too big of a feat for me.
I'd love to do it myself, but not really sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
if there's oil getting on the front manifold, my guess is its probably the valve cover gasket I did mine back in December and wrote up a little DIY I'll link below

https://forum.mazda6club.com/engine-...placement.html

there are some pics in this post of my valve cover leak
https://forum.mazda6club.com/picture...ml#post5030054

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

Last edited by bluedevil6; 03-21-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
if there's oil getting on the front manifold, my guess is its probably the valve cover gasket I did mine back in December and wrote up a little DIY I'll link below

https://forum.mazda6club.com/engine-...placement.html

there are some pics in this post of my valve cover leak
https://forum.mazda6club.com/picture...ml#post5030054

Both links are amazing. Thank you so much. Did you pick all the seals from your local dealership?

Also, mind me asking about how much it costed you for both banks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCarFast View Post
Both links are amazing. Thank you so much. Did you pick all the seals from your local dealership?

Also, mind me asking about how much it costed you for both banks?
I ordered the valve cover gaskets from RockAuto (I went with Fel-Pro) and the OCV seals, if you decide to replace those which I would strongly suggest while youre already in there, from Twisted Tuning

Valve Cover gaskets $28+ shipping https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+gasket,10710
OCV seals IIRC $28 after shipping https://twistedtuning.com/collection...zda-6s-3-0l-v6

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
I ordered the valve cover gaskets from RockAuto (I went with Fel-Pro) and the OCV seals, if you decide to replace those which I would strongly suggest while youre already in there, from Twisted Tuning

Valve Cover gaskets $28+ shipping

OCV seals IIRC $28 after shipping

Do you personally recommend Fel-Pro?

Fel-Pro seems like a great buy for me with shipping, but I'll have to source out another place to buy ocv seals.. $20 for the seals, and $20.20 for shipping lol. I'm glad shipping for the Fel-Pro is only $14 though &#x1f642;

Thanks again! You've been a great help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Garage
White smoke from engine on startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCarFast View Post
Do you personally recommend Fel-Pro?

Fel-Pro seems like a great buy for me with shipping, but I'll have to source out another place to buy ocv seals.. $20 for the seals, and $20.20 for shipping lol. I'm glad shipping for the Fel-Pro is only $14 though

Thanks again! You've been a great help.

No problem, I’m usually out for the best deal, but for some things like gaskets I like to go with “name brands” rather than the cheaper alternatives.

A lot of people just use sealant if the ocv seals start leaking if you needed to you could probably get away with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page