Precat failure need advice - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Calvin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Precat failure need advice

Hi all,

I read a lot on the forums but don't post much. I do the basics on my cars, brakes, oil changes, general maintenance, but don't have the knowledge or skills to go too deep. So her's my story. I've owned a 2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon since 2004. With 180,000+ on the clock, it has been one of the best cars I've ever owned and other than some coil pack issues and pre-cat replacement (due to cracking not failure) I've not any major issue. It is getting rusty (I live in northwest PA) and I have been so happy that I set my sights on buying a lower mileage cleaner 6 wagon. I thought I found it in Chicago. I bought a 2004 with 95,000 miles. The body and on a brief city test drive it seemed OK. About 200 miles from home I threw a CEL Also, on the highway it seemed to lack power and the mileage stunk (<20 mpg) I have a cheap scanner, which read the code as P0421. I was hoping it was an O2 sensor, but I knew it was not. A local muffler shop changed out both pre-cats with ones I bought on line. The told me the bank 1 cat was completely empty and it had puked the guts into the rear cat. They told me the rear cat is just a back up but legally could not hollow it out. I friend of mine helped pull the cat and clean (hollow) it out. The car runs well, no codes, much better power. All this to ask if I should hollow out the second cat on bank 2 to match the flow on bank 1? The muffle shop said its clean.

Now that I actually posted I will ask another question. Should I change plugs and coil packs as a PM, even with no apparent issues?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:16 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
If it were my car, and it was running good, I'd just leave it as is. Especially if you put it back together already...if you had it apart still then I might've done it.

If the coil packs haven't been replaced, I'd probably replace them. I found the Mustang coils from Accel to be the best deal, I found a set of 8 for under $120 shipped. Catch is you have do some slight modding to complete the install.

Happy New Year!

- 2007 Mazda 6s Sport Wagon Sport VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS Nightfall Gray 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt
- 2000 Infiniti G20 2.0L, auto

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s (GD)

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
@Calvin I know the exhaust is routed different on an 04 than my 07 but if the other cat is fairly easy to get to and hollow out I would think it would probably be a good idea to do it. As for the coils I would probably replace those for exactly the reason you said, “preventative maintenance “ here’s why I say this, I replaced the plugs in my car at 149k when I bought it at 155k I started having a bad misfire when I pulled the plugs in the process of confirming my diagnosis I found that 2 of the bank 2 plugs looked new even though I had not felt any issues they clearly had not been working very well if at all for 5000 miles and I never felt a thing I bought my coils on eBay and they have been good now for over 10k and counting I think they cost like $30 for all 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

Last edited by bluedevil6; 01-01-2019 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluedevil6 For This Useful Post:
Calvin (01-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You confirmed what I was thinking. I am not looking forward to either, but I think I can manage. Thanks again
bluedevil6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page