Pricing out Fusion motor swap, couple of questions... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pricing out Fusion motor swap, couple of questions...

OK, I'm pricing out putting in a Fusion motor. I found an 09 with 70k on it for about $600.

I need help finding out the most affordable headers I can get. I found some OBX ones on Ebay for about 400. I can't seem to find any threads on headers, like a buyers guide or anything. Any suggestions? Will the cheapy ebay ones do fine? Is there a more affordable option?

Next I hear that people are finding all 6 coil packs for like $50 somewhere. I have yet to find any such deal. I paid $75 for one at NAPA.

Any other things I should absolutely replace? I mean if I find anything that is obviously broke I will replace it. But I'm mostly concerned about the motor melting down again like has happened to so many victims with the Duratec VVT. I'm pretty positive I went through the same scenario as everyone else. Bad coil packs, mix igniting in the precats, blah blah blah.

The cars body and interior are still in good shape. If I can do a motor swap for about a grand I would like to go that route instead of buying a different car.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by skimsmilk; 12-17-2018 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 0
I think the OBX headers may be all you can find these days. They will definitely be the least expensive you'll find, short of a used set. I bought a 6 pack box of Spectra Premium coils on rockauto for about $60 this year, so far so good but its only been a few thousand miles.

Gaskets. Replace gaskets. Even if you think you can get by without doing it, it'll be easiest while the engine is out. Replace the PCV valve, and the coolant tee and elbow as well that feed coolant through the throttle body.

2004 Mazda 6 V6/MTX, Steel Gray
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can try nautilusperformance through google for headers. Everyone bypasses the coolant t because they did away with it in later years. From what I have read, OBX is not our friend. Use the search feature and you will find multiple failures of those obx systems. I personally gutted my pre and post cats because i was being a cheap ass, smells bad and cant wait to get real headers and a proper cat Are you planning on doing all of the work yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yes, nautilus perfermance still offers the modified MSDS headers. I bought my set in Dec, but it may take them a while to ship it though.
@bluedevil6 found coilpacks on ebay for really cheap, might want to check there. I used Accel mustang coils, but they are not 100% plug and play, although pretty close.

I recommend replacing the gaskets while the engine is out, you'll be hours ahead

- 2007 Mazda6 Sport Wagon VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS Nightfall Gray 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt
- 2000 Infiniti G20 2.0L, auto

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Garage
I donít think this is the same seller as the one I used (odds are theyíre prob same coils just a different warehouse) but still really cheap
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123635778369

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Garage
Pricing out Fusion motor swap, couple of questions...

A lot of them will say not compatible when you enter your carís info so be sure to check the listed part numbers @hurddawg what did you have to modify on the mustang coils Iíve been tossing around the idea of swapping mine, because Iíve been seeing a lot of mustang at the scrapyard lately?

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

Last edited by bluedevil6; 02-09-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The ones I used didn't have the bolt down tab on them. There is another version which has the tie down, but the polarity of the plug is opposite what we have (although they plug in). So 2 choices, each has an advantage/disadvantage. I chose the "4v" version as I didn't want to swap the coil polarity on the harness. People that used the "4v" bent some brackets up for the coils to hold them down. The other thing you need to do with the mustang coils is swap the spark plug/coil boot to the mazda ones. I linked the thread I was looking at for ya if you want a bit more detail.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6...e-3-0-ltr.html

The thread doesn't mention years but the 4.6L or 5.4L engines.

- 2007 Mazda6 Sport Wagon VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS Nightfall Gray 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt
- 2000 Infiniti G20 2.0L, auto

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
I don’t think this is the same seller as the one I used (odds are they’re prob same coils just a different warehouse) but still really cheap
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123635778369

6 coils for $25.99

I paid more than that for ONE Denso (OEM)...

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

.MSP brakes &
slotted rotors
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I paid $75 for one Denso coil at Autozone.

2006 Mazda6, 3.0L v6, six speed auto (all stock, and loving it.)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
6 coils for $25.99

I paid more than that for ONE Denso (OEM)...

Oh I know I always check the price of OE first and decide wether itís worth the difference (if there is one) for aftermarket. In this case I decided to take the risk Iíve had them in for at least 8k at this point with no problems. Theyíre all over eBay generic sets ranging from 25 to around $55.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page