Oil Light Flicker during D <--> R gear change - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Oil Light Flicker during D <--> R gear change

Okay Mazda geniuses,
This little niggle popped up today and then disappeared.
The Car: 2004 M6 Wagon 3.0, 167,000mi, ATX (JATCO 5spd). Oil: Castrol High Mileage syn/blend 5W20 (changed every 3000, currently with 1200mi), car will consume about 1 1/8-1 1/4 qt every change, same for 3yrs) No issues other than lower control arm bushing wear. pre-cats replaced at 126,000mi along with, PVC, COP's and Plugs.
Scenario: Making a 3-point turn on a slight slope I noticed a faint momentary flicker of the oil light when switching from R to D. I moved to park on flat ground and tried it again. D to R saw a faint momentary flicker of the oil light. I happened when I moved D -> R and R -> D. A momentary flicker (not enough to fully illuminate the light then gone. Checking the oil show a full pan with good color and smell.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for reading. Happy Holidays

Edit, this popped up again in Oct 2018 (180,000mi) and then again in Feb 2019 (both times at hot idle)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Groans: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Start with the oil pressure switch, that is usually the suspect on older car. If that doesn't help, then i'm afraid the news is not very good. You either have sludge or an oil pump that is on its way out.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I would try hooking up an analog oil pressure Guage and verify the actual oil pressure reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I would try hooking up an analog oil pressure Guage and verify the actual oil pressure reading.
This is the only way to truly know what is going on in terms of pressure.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Oil Filter Sandwich Plate with OEM Pressure Sender

Hello again. I forgot I had posted this issue until I was searching for a solution to my next step.

The oil light started flickering at idle again and I have decided to move forward in trying to diagnose/remedy it.

I cannot take my OEM oil pressure switch (OPS) out for mechanical pressure testing because the previous owner stripped it in place. It does not leak and I am not touching it again. I do however want to verify the oil pressure is adequate, and if so, extinguish my epileptic oil pressure light at the same time.

I have purchased an oil pressure sandwich plate (M22 - 1.5) from GlowShift. There are 4 ports (3/8"-24) on the plate and I would like to put a new OEM sender switch (and possibly temperature and pressure gauges) which is a M14 x 1.5 pitch)

The symptom has been presenting itself sporadically(3x) for over 2 years so it is not likely moving very fast but I will still verify actual pressure using one of the plate ports before investing in a gauge set.

I need to put a (Male) M14 x 1.5 (OPS) into a (Female) 3/8"-24 (sandwich plate). An adapter for this does not exist.
My options as I see them are:
1. Try tapping a [3/8"-24 to 9/16"-18] to a [3/8"-24 to M14 x 1.5). Not sure if I can go 9/16-18 to M14x1.5 but something like that.
2. Try finding a compatible sender that will fit the sandwich plate and send appropriate voltage to keep light off (voltage unknown).
3. Run a mechanical gauge and cut the LED off the speedometer instrument board.

What I want is the OEM sender communicating with the light as it is supposed to and possibly running gauges as well.

Could I use the oil pressure sender supplied with a gauge to communicate with my OEM oil light?

Any thoughts/suggestions people may have are welcome.

-

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Garage
@DrFeelGood I donít think that the aftermarket sender would work with the OEM system my reasoning here is that the OE switch is, I believe, basically an on/off switch set at specific pressure by the factory, while the aftermarket one is designed to report the exact pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
@DrFeelGood I donít think that the aftermarket sender would work with the OEM system my reasoning here is that the OE switch is, I believe, basically an on/off switch set at specific pressure by the factory, while the aftermarket one is designed to report the exact pressure.
That is my suspicion as well.
Back to our previously specified dilemma..

-

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
That is my suspicion as well.
Back to our previously specified dilemma..

Just a thought, but I wonder if you could possibly find a pressure switch from another vehicle with the thread size you need, or at least one that you could find an adapter for. Theoretically if itís just an on/off switch I would think another one could work if its is designed at a relatively similar pressure.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
Just a thought, but I wonder if you could possibly find a pressure switch from another vehicle with the thread size you need, or at least one that you could find an adapter for. Theoretically if itís just an on/off switch I would think another one could work if its is designed at a relatively similar pressure.
This would be great but where to start? It seems like a daunting task to try and find service manual values for any sender that I may suspect fit and how do I begin finding the thread dimensions without having the part?

-

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
This would be great but where to start? It seems like a daunting task to try and find service manual values for any sender that I may suspect fit and how do I begin finding the thread dimensions without having the part?

Iím having the same thought, Iím tying to come up with an easy solution, but Iím quickly running out of ideas. Short of taking the sandwich plate to a scrapyard and spending hours pulling random senders I canít think of anything else. Its probably a long shot, but maybe try to look up senders from some common vehicles and see if any would work? Iím not really seeing an easy solution here unfortunately. It always is a bummer when people damage things that are so difficult to repair (such as your stripped sender).

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page