post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fan control module

I think mine is going bad on my '06 mazda 6 (3.0). How expensive are they and how hard to replace? I've heard there has been a recall on these parts. Will mazda still honor a recall, even if the car was bought used years after the recall bulletin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Rockauto, $54. Mazda, 2006, 6, 3.0L 6, Cooling System, Cooling Fan Control Module
I bought mine from ebay for like $40 because at the time Rockauto did not have the part.
Then google "mazda 6 cooling fan control module" and you'll find instructions on how to replace it. It's not rocket science. The biggest pita is working in such tight space, but all you need is a small wrench to loosen/tighten bolts.
ps. Yes there was a recall/TSB back in the day. It'll be faster and less frustrating to just do it yourself.

2006 6s 5-dr gray, AEM SRI- Magnaflow exhaust- Kazera KZ-D 18x7.5- Bilstein shocks/HR springs- AWR endlinks- Stoptech rotors, Hawk brake pads- Neo chrome vanadium lug nuts- AGM battery- Blue: calipers; interior LED lights; footwell lighting; LED ribbon trunk lights; instrument cluster gauge- Stubby antenna- Titanium Burl wood panels- NGX Platinum plugs- Tein hood damper- Greddy air diversion plate

Last edited by ydrone; 12-04-2015 at 02:36 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 764 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,817 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydrone View Post
Yes there was a recall/TSB back in the day. It'll be faster and less frustrating to just do it yourself.
Just to add to this - Only cars that qualify for the recall had to have been produced (if I remember correctly) Jan 2005 to Dec 2006 and depending on your dealership they require the car be under 100k miles.

But if you're in that category, might as well have the dealer do it if they're willing. The first place I went to thought I was crazy, the 2nd place thought I was making it up, but after doing research found I was correct and my car qualified.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is there a way to verify that the FCM needs to be replaced? (I.e., that it is not something else causing the radiator fan to run almost as soon as the car turns on until up to 10 seconds after it's turned off, regardless of temperature?)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Just to add to this - Only cars that qualify for the recall had to have been produced (if I remember correctly) Jan 2005 to Dec 2006 and depending on your dealership they require the car be under 100k miles.

But if you're in that category, might as well have the dealer do it if they're willing. The first place I went to thought I was crazy, the 2nd place thought I was making it up, but after doing research found I was correct and my car qualified.

My dealer replaced mine under the recall and my car is an 04 and had over 240K KM on it when I brought it in for the airbag recall. In fact, I had no idea it even had a recall and they brought it to my attention.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
A recall is a recall, regardless of miles. To the OP: Message me the last eight of your VIN and I'll let you know if your car is due recall parts.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I work at a Mazda dealer

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbooksta View Post
Is there a way to verify that the FCM needs to be replaced? (I.e., that it is not something else causing the radiator fan to run almost as soon as the car turns on until up to 10 seconds after it's turned off, regardless of temperature?)
Why would the radiator run on a cold engine? That right there is an immediate sign that the module needs to be replaced. When you hear it constantly running and at random times it can rarely be anything else.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:49 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
It costs $30 US, spring for a new one and no more worries. I did mine several years ago and it still fine.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Why would the radiator run on a cold engine? That right there is an immediate sign that the module needs to be replaced. When you hear it constantly running and at random times it can rarely be anything else.
Good point. I have seen a few mentions of old fans drawing excessive current causing similar problems, including at the beginning of this video on replacing the FCM.

Are there any specs on the current limits I should find on "healthy" fans?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbooksta View Post
Good point. I have seen a few mentions of old fans drawing excessive current causing similar problems, including at the beginning of this video on replacing the FCM.

Are there any specs on the current limits I should find on "healthy" fans?
Not sure. It's easy to tell if the fan isn't operating properly or not though. It should just turn on from time to time to cool down the engine. When you have the heater cranked, It shouldn't really come on at all. You'll obviously hear it pretty often when it is hot outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page