HELP!!! Messed Up Pretty Good... 3 Codes - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
HELP!!! Messed Up Pretty Good... 3 Codes

Some back story:
I changed my oil and when I went to start the car all I heard was oil spitting out and my oil light went on. I shut the engine off at the instant the oil was coming out (about 3-6 seconds the car was on). Lifted the car up again and found all my oil on the floor of the shop. Turned out that the old oil filter gasket was stuck and I did not see it before putting on the new filter. Two gaskets do not seal properly.

Any way I cleaned everything up, drained everything again and put fresh oil in again. Started the car up and it started fine. Just a whole bunch of oil smoke coming from the engine bay (assuming it is residual on hot components when oil sprayed every where)

I was able to drive my car home from my shop (approx 23 miles) with no drive ability issues. I got home, let the car run for a bit to try to burn off more of the residual and then shut it off for the night.

The next morning on my way to work I started my car up fine and went on my way. Still some oil smell but no smoke. I got about 3 miles from my house when I hit a stop light and while waiting I felt my engine sputter a bit, and my idle started to fluctuate. You can hear it clearly since my exhaust is pretty open. Once all that happened my CEL came on so I turned it around and went straight back home (another 3 miles) to switch cars.

I took this opportunity to buy myself a OBD-II scanner just because I've always wanted one. I scanned my car (which sat all day about 8 hours) and came up with these three codes first in this order;

P0011- Camshaft Position Acuator Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction
P0016- Cam/Crankshaft Position Correlation A, Bank 1
P0011- (same code as the first one)

Next step I took was to check my spark plugs. Pulled out all 6 and 4/6 of them had oil on them. I installed brand new plugs just for good measure not expecting it to fix the problem. After that I ran the car for codes again and came up with these 3 in this order;

P0011- Camshaft Position Acuator Bank 1 Circuit Malfucntion
P0011- (Pending Code, aka continuous monitor codes or maturing codes)
P0403- EGR Flow Circuit Malfunction

Has anyone ever had this problem or has seen this? Any input is welcome. Sorry for the long write-up. From the way the codes are coming up I'm assuming it is a timing related problem (EGR code has me stumped). I'm just totally lost as to how I can correct this or if I should just have one of the technicians at my work look at it.

Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Mazda 6S GT ---SOLD
Corksport LED Fog,Interior Kit, Stubby Antenna, K&N Drop In, Muffler/Resonator/Cat Delete, Airbox Mod, GTA Car Kit
2012 Mazdaspeed3 w/ Tech Package- Purple Drank Tuned BNR S3 15% in tank Methanol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Find the camshaft positioning connections and see if you have oil contamination on the connections; if so clean 'em up and see if the problem goes away.

The EGR code may be a consequence of the other two; if the ECU is confused as to where the cam timing is then it also doesn't have an accurate read on EGR flow.

I would clean the engine bay well using a non-corrosive detergent, rinse it off and see what you get. This sounds like an electrical problem; on a first start after an oil change it takes a few seconds to build pressure in the oil system, so assuming your original report is correct of only a few seconds at idle running with the double gasket the odds of having done actual damage to the valve train, while possible, are low.

Last edited by tickerguy; 04-27-2014 at 05:36 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

@tickerguy thanks! do you think it is safe for me to drive the car 23 some miles to get it to work so I can get it on a lift?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 Mazda 6S GT ---SOLD
Corksport LED Fog,Interior Kit, Stubby Antenna, K&N Drop In, Muffler/Resonator/Cat Delete, Airbox Mod, GTA Car Kit
2012 Mazdaspeed3 w/ Tech Package- Purple Drank Tuned BNR S3 15% in tank Methanol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
How badly is it missing?

The risk with a bad miss is that you can trash the cat (overheating), and that's expensive.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:01 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
I would try not to drive it there. Towing would be best to ensure nothing more serious goes wrong. Is the oil level still full?

Did the car still have its usual power? Did the VVT still seem to be kicking in?

You may get lucky & just have oil in the sensor connection for bank 1. The sensor, or worse, the OCV may have pooped out. Unfortunately, its the rear bank so getting to the sensor & OCV arent easy.

I dont think its an electrical issue as i left the front VVT sensor unplugged after cleaning under the hood & my code description was different.

As for the EGR code, it could be pure coincidence. Id be taking that off & cleaning it out as well as verifying its operating.

Hopefully its something simple though.

---
---
---
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
In all honesty driving wouldn't be a problem so long as the cel isn't continuously blinking. The cam position sensor circuit is the only thing I would find bothersome. I would test the sensor and check the wiring as there is a slim but possible chance you could have burned up a wire. I wouldn't worry about the spilling oil on start up as the few seconds is akin to the same start up that happens with either a cold start or freshly filled system.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

EGR code turned out to be me forgetting to plug it back in, Cam and crank codes couldn't be resolved. I found oil on the sensors. With my limited knowledge I had nothing else to do but to drop it off at a Mazda Service shop

2006 Mazda 6S GT ---SOLD
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well at least the EGR was simple lol. Hopefully it isnt something serious, or expensive.

---
---
---
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Possible valve cover gasket leak, both front and rear. anyone know if its a weekend type of job or should I pony up dollars for a stealership to do it?

2006 Mazda 6S GT ---SOLD
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cam and crank codes have me puzzled. The valve cover gaskets are a pita on the rear bank, but can be done on a weekend. Here is a link on when I replaced mine. http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/...ml#post3801961

I also recommend getting a repair manual if you don't already have one.

Last edited by cofe; 04-29-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page