Help! Codes P2227 and P1487! - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
@b1lk1 I'll check into it. I haven't touched the air box at all so I suspect that if this is the issue, the sensor had failed. Do you know how to test the sensor/motor?

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:55 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
P1487 has NOTHING to do with the EGR valve. You are using generic codes definitions. For us, this code is for the variable intake air valve (not sure if this is exactly right) that is attached to teh side of the factory airbox. If you have a CAI, you need to remove this valve (has a green plug) from the airbox, plug in the sensor and just put it off to the side somewhere.
@waughoo
P1487 is EGR Boost Sensor Solenoid Valve Circuit Malfunction

@b1lk1 The VAD (Variable Air Duct) is code P1410. I have had that code and also had the solenoid unplugged. Later it failed and I pluged the vacuum line with a screw and eliminated it that way.
Kalalicious likes this.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
b1lk1 (01-09-2019)
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
@b1lk1 I'll check into it. I haven't touched the air box at all so I suspect that if this is the issue, the sensor had failed. Do you know how to test the sensor/motor?

The solenoid opens and closes the "extra air flapper" when you are open throttle. The green plug in the upp right of the picture is difficult to click into place and will give a P1410 MIL when unplugged or faulty.
My diaphragm was immobile and could not be opened by have or with the solenoid so I disconnected the terminal end of the vacuum line and put a bolt into it to plug.
I then removed the four screws to allow removal of the air flap door to permit maximum air to flow into the intake at all times. It did make my intake noise noticeably louder, especially on WOT, (I kinda like it)

It is also possible to disable the system by turning the VAD check valve pictured below (white/green) but I was unable to dislodge mine without destroying the hose and I had no spare handy.
bluedevil6 likes this.

Mozz-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Huh, I was wondering what that green/white thing was, but not enough to bother looking it up anywhere. Thanks for saving me the time!

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
@DrFeelGood thanks for the info. Any chance you found part numbers for the boost sensor solenoid and the baro sensor?

Alex
---}
{---

, and
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
@DrFeelGood thanks for the info. Any chance you found part numbers for the boost sensor solenoid and the baro sensor?
I think these are the two sensors you are looking for. Cross check to verify. They may be salvage yard grabs.

EDIT:
Check this link for updated stock numbers.

Baro sensor: KL47, E1T10372, A 4526
EGR Boost sensor solenoid: K5T49096, BP4Y, 4427
waughoo likes this.

Mozz-D
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 PM

Garage
Thanks Doc. I bench tested the solenoid valve and it worked correctly out of the car. I was a bit too lazy to perform the factory test for the baro sensor, so I just decided to buy one. The one you have listed above is almost correct, but I was able to find the right one after a bit of searching with the part number on the one in the car. I'll report back after I've tried it out.

Alex
---}
{---

, and
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM

Garage
So in my obsession with a solution to this issue, I came across this post in another forum. It appears to be a non vehicle specific repair forum meant to help troubleshoot error codes and scan data from the OBD scanner. They are for the exact same two codes as this thread. The interesting thing I spotted was that the guy bench tested the solenoid and it did everything it was supposed to do, but it was still throwing the code. Eventually, he replaced the solenoid with a new one and the code cleared. It makes me curious if there's a resistance value in the solenoid that the computer wants to see. Regardless, I plan to change both the solenoid and the baro sensor (parts ordered) and will replace them when the new ones arrive. I'll report back.

https://www.scannerdanner.com/forum/...and-p2227.html

Alex
---}
{---

, and
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
Okay... I finally decided to just replace the barometric pressure sensor and the EGR boost sensor solenoid. These are the two "gizmos" on the firewall above the EGR valve at the intake (see pictures). The part numbers I could find off the parts I removed are as follows...

Baro sensor: KL47, E1T10372, A 4526
EGR Boost sensor solenoid: K5T49096, BP4Y, 4427

Both of these parts are made by Mitsubishi. Using one of the two links provided by @DrFeelGood above, I was able to buy the EGR boost sensor solenoid. The one the Doc listed for the baro sensor is actually a MAP sensor that goes in the air intake and is not the correct part for this application. It is likely the same gizmo inside the plastic, but the wrong orifice for the baro sensor needed for the EGR system. I found my Baro sensor on EBAY listed as an OEM part. I had thought I was getting another Mitsubishi part as that's what they had pictured, but it turned out to be manufactured by FAE. I was a little disappointed with that fact, but I will live with it as it is still a new part rather than used.

Wide angle shot of the parts on the fire wall for situational awareness

Close up shot with the Baro on the left and the Boost sensor solenoid on the right

After replacing these two parts and then driving to the parts store to have them clear the codes (I still don't have a code reader), I have now driven 100 miles and the check engine light has stayed off. The interesting thing is that the boost sensor solenoid checked out fine out of the car. It held vacuum as explained earlier in this thread and changed correctly when 12v was applied to the contacts. I didn't test the Baro sensor, as I was just a bit tired of the problem. So I'll never really know what was wrong, but it appears that the issue was with these two sensors on the firewall.

As I stated in an earlier post here, I did see some improvement (check engine light stayed off for a while) with cleaning the EGR probe tube, that did not keep the light off. I feel like it did need to be cleaned though, so I'd likely suggest that as part of this repair that the EGR tube should be cleaned and then those two sensors replaced on the fire wall. I'll be going in tomorrow to get my emissions test as I need to renew my tabs. I'll report back if it stayed off long enough to get to the testing station and if I indeed passed. I'm feeling pretty confident now that I've logged 100 miles though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_145502[1] - posting size.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	226174   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_145524[1] - posting size.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	226176  
DrFeelGood likes this.

Alex
---}
{---

, and

Last edited by waughoo; 01-27-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to hear itís fixed @waughoo I now also know what those sensors are for lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waughoo likes this.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

The Following User Says Thank You to bluedevil6 For This Useful Post:
waughoo (01-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page