Help! Codes P2227 and P1487! - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
Was thinking - unplug it from the car. The sensor has two leads, connect those meter leads to the sensor and set it too Ohms. Likely 0 - 500 or so and apply vacuum. Its looking for pressure drop to tell the ECM the EGR valves commanded action actually took place.

So does it still have both codes and how far have you driven it? What are you using for a code reader and what does said reader display for "Readiness"

The only thing I have up and running is a phone app Torque Pro.
Sorry, I'm still not sure what you mean with the 2 leads. You're not talking about the pins for the connector are you? If so there are 3 of them.

The last code was a P1487 only, I cleared it today and I'll be putting about 100 miles on the car today and tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky and the light won't come back on.

When I had emissions tested last week I had 3 unready conditions, and I'm only allowed to have 1 unready condition and no CEL in order to pass.

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I PASSED MY EMISSIONS TEST TODAY!!!!

Hopefully, this means my long war the EGR system is over!

A THOUSAND thanks go to Final Impact! I really appreciate your help and I couldn't have troubleshot this thing without you. If you are ever in Atlanta, I owe you dinner.

For future reference, I think it was a blockage in the EGR gas tube that goes into the intake. The CEL did come back on after I fixed it, but it seems to be staying off now.

-Kurt
Kalalicious likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to krtismo For This Useful Post:
Final Impact (12-31-2013)
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Excellent news and you are a great example for others about how this can work! Stories like this are great to see! Glad this worked out and all is Well.

Not sure if you're a smart phone user but for $25 bucks you can grab some good data from the car when all is well and use it to help you later when things aren't being so nice! Fleebay Elm 327 ?? and Android App called Torque Pro can glean some good info.

Thanks for the kind Words Kurt!
Happy New Year and heres to 2014!
Kalalicious likes this.

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >119,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Final Impact For This Useful Post:
krtismo (12-31-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not to revive this old thread, but I have a 04 6s, (120,xxx miles, bone stock) and have been battling the 2227 and 1487 codes, and the surging rpms at idle for about 3,000 miles. I was reluctant to go throwing costly parts at it, so I started by cleaning the egr valve body and the "Intake probe" (which was caked full) codes came back about 100 miles later, so I started unplugging connectors related to that area and bench testing solenoids and mechanical parts (boost sensor, baro sensor, the 6 prong egr main harness) and have found that all three were building up corrosion and quite dirty, so I used some emery paper and cleaned the contacts on male and female side of each plug, and used some silicone connector grease on them to ensure stable connection, I'm at about 100 miles and the codes have yet to return! I'll keep my findings posted! Thanks for everyone's input on this matter that lead me to my discovery! (
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Garage
So, I've been using this thread to troubleshoot my P1487 code. I've removed the EGR and found it to be plugged at the tip. I cleaned it and put about 25 miles on it and the code came back. Without interference from me, the DTC will go away (idiot light on the dash), when I drive solid freeway at full speed for about 20 miles. However, once I start driving on the street again, it will reset again illuminating the light after about 5 or so miles. I'm thinking that it's likely the boost sensor solenoid at this point, but might still be the baro sensor. I've looked on Jim Ellis Mazda parts and can't find these two parts (the ones on the firewall). Does anyone have part numbers for these two parts (baro sensor and boost sensor solenoid)? Neither of them shows up on the Rock Auto page either. Thanks for your help.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:20 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
So, I've been using this thread to troubleshoot my P1487 code. I've removed the EGR and found it to be plugged at the tip. I cleaned it and put about 25 miles on it and the code came back. Without interference from me, the DTC will go away (idiot light on the dash), when I drive solid freeway at full speed for about 20 miles. However, once I start driving on the street again, it will reset again illuminating the light after about 5 or so miles. I'm thinking that it's likely the boost sensor solenoid at this point, but might still be the baro sensor. I've looked on Jim Ellis Mazda parts and can't find these two parts (the ones on the firewall). Does anyone have part numbers for these two parts (baro sensor and boost sensor solenoid)? Neither of them shows up on the Rock Auto page either. Thanks for your help.

Hey @waughoo, are they circled in the picture below?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake plumbing egr solenoid.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	225984  

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
P1487 has NOTHING to do with the EGR valve. You are using generic codes definitions. For us, this code is for the variable intake air valve (not sure if this is exactly right) that is attached to teh side of the factory airbox. If you have a CAI, you need to remove this valve (has a green plug) from the airbox, plug in the sensor and just put it off to the side somewhere.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post

Hey @waughoo, are they circled in the picture below?
Yes... those are the ones @DrFeelGood

Alex
---}
{---

, and
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
P1487 has NOTHING to do with the EGR valve. You are using generic codes definitions. For us, this code is for the variable intake air valve (not sure if this is exactly right) that is attached to teh side of the factory airbox. If you have a CAI, you need to remove this valve (has a green plug) from the airbox, plug in the sensor and just put it off to the side somewhere.
@b1lk1 I am running full stock set up for the intake/air box. What is Mazda's code say for that?

Alex
---}
{---

, and
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Look on the side of the airbox and make sure that sensor is plugged in and working. I had a P1487 code on my car as it came with a CAI and they did not include that sensor. WHen I added just the sensor it eliminated that code.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page