post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Codes/Gas cap questions

Quick questions

I went to my mechanic this morning and did a quick drain and refill on the atx and changed some power steering fluid while I was at it.

After that we pulled my codes to see if I had anything different this time.

I still have the po455 and the other code I had for a minor vac leak went away mysteriously. Had those codes for about two years lol

But I have some new codes-
po441
po171
po174

Car runs fine so I'm not really worried about it but I would like to make them disappear. Didn't see any vacuum leaks for the po171 and 174. It was reset so maybe it will just go away. I do have the Injen SP cai and egr optimization, I just dont see any bad hoses or hear any sucking air from vacuum leaks.

Now for the po441 and 455, I finally decided to buy a Mazda gas cap. The original one broke, Ive been using a Stant one but the cel never went away so Ill just try a Mazda gas cap.

My question- I have an 04. Was there a redesign later and/or the 06-08 gas cap fit? On the parts site Im looking at, the 08 gas cap is $1 more than the 04 cap. Should I go with the 08 cap for the 3.0l for my 04?

Also on the parts diagram, #9 is the gas cap, what are #10 and #12 ?? Seal and filler pipe dust shield? What are those? Whenever I fill up I just see what I believe to be #11 .

2004 Mazda 6 | Cheap FUEL SYSTEM|FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda6 Sport GT,Onyx Black
Mods: Injen SP6072P CAI, 3.7l TB, 3/4" IM spacer, Mazdaspeed 3.0L v6 cat back, EGR Optimization/Re-Route, Transmission Cooler + Inline filter, TB coolant bypass/T replacements, 35 watt 5K HID Low Beams and Fogs

2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe,Obsidian Black, MTX
Mods: Complete Aero Body, Midnight Grill, Lip Spoiler, Tanabe Springs, RJM Clutch Pedal, Stillen Gen3 CAI

Last edited by Riki desu; 10-13-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some insight from: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/...ml#post3488251

P0171 Fuel trim system (RH) too lean ON 2 Fuel (See DTC P0171, P0174 [AJ]
P0172 Fuel trim system (RH) too rich ON 2 Fuel (See DTC P0172, P0175 [AJ]
P0174 Fuel trim system (LH) too lean ON 2 Fuel (See DTC P0171, P0174 [AJ]
P0175 Fuel trim system (LH) too rich ON 2 Fuel (See DTC P0172, P0175 [AJ]

P0441 EVAP control system incorrect purge flow ON 2 Evaporative (See DTC P0441 [AJ]
P0442 EVAP control system leak detected (small leak) ON 2 Evaporative (See DTC P0442 [AJ]
P0443 EVAP control system purge control valve circuit malfunction ON 2 CCM (See DTC P0443 [AJ]
- N/A
P0446 Change over valve (EVAP leak detection pump) stuck close ON 2 Evaporative (DTC P0446)

P0455 Evaporative emission control system leak detected
(large leak)

Replace the fill cap. Call Mazda ask them if the parts interchange. IDK!

Physically place your hand on every hose on the engine and inspect them for disconnect or cracks. If not cracked, likely your intake causing the 17X

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >119,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Final Impact For This Useful Post:
Riki desu (10-14-2013)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
Some insight from: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/...ml#post3488251

Replace the fill cap. Call Mazda ask them if the parts interchange. IDK!

Physically place your hand on every hose on the engine and inspect them for disconnect or cracks. If not cracked, likely your intake causing the 17X
Ok. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of a cap redesign. I saw it mentioned somewhere but no detailed info about it. Last time I asked the parts guys at Mazda they had no idea so I will ask if they are interchangeable and order it.

I got the SP intake because it has a smaller diameter around the maf sensor so it shouldnt cause a cel. I have not seen a case where it caused a cel but the RD does since its 3" the whole way. Ill check the tubes again and if I dot see anything then I will try a smoke test if I dont find anything.

Mods: Injen SP6072P CAI, 3.7l TB, 3/4" IM spacer, Mazdaspeed 3.0L v6 cat back, EGR Optimization/Re-Route, Transmission Cooler + Inline filter, TB coolant bypass/T replacements, 35 watt 5K HID Low Beams and Fogs

Mods: Complete Aero Body, Midnight Grill, Lip Spoiler, Tanabe Springs, RJM Clutch Pedal, Stillen Gen3 CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

@Final Impact

For this valve that is capped off when adding an aftermarket intake, it meets a three-way plastic connector so is it ok to just remove the length of tube to the connector and cap at the connector? Also the line coming off the 3 way connector goes underneath the tb then into the intake manifold. Do I need to get this line at the dealer or can i just get some tubing with a 45 connector to replace it? (There are some cracks in the line but no obvious cuts or holes)

Then, what is this thing? There are also some cracks in both vacuum lines. The line going back to the firewall looks like I have to remove the intake manifold to find. And i also need to replace the line going to the intake manifold.

Other then those lines, I could not find any large leaks.(i dont even know if the lines i found are leaking yet). I will try to stop by the dealership today to order a new gas cap.

Thanks for the help

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
for the first pic. yes you can remove the rest of the line. You can even remove the 3 way splitter and have the fuel pressure regulator go straight into it.

the 2nd picture is you air actuator valve. it controls the in/out of your charcoal canister.

The 171 and 174 codes relate to your injen intake.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
Riki desu (10-14-2013)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper66 View Post
for the first pic. yes you can remove the rest of the line. You can even remove the 3 way splitter and have the fuel pressure regulator go straight into it.

the 2nd picture is you air actuator valve. it controls the in/out of your charcoal canister.

The 171 and 174 codes relate to your injen intake.
Thanks for the response flipper. You dont seem to be on the forum as much these days

This morning while I was poking and proding around all the vac lines I could find, I also cleaned off the maf and reinstalled the hydroshield cover over the intake filter. Let it idle for a bit and turned it off. After about an hour I took it for a drive and noticed on start up the cel was off. I guess something was loose or possibly small enough that the engine heat caused it to temporarily close up. Possibly the maf was dirty too.

I also noticed it was idling around 800rpms instead of the normal 700-750 but that could also be my imagination.

I will update if the codes return.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM
banana boat.

I'm still around. long story, but a little burned out on the mazda world. Something that went on with one of the other boards. Really soured my feelings on mazda people so I'm slowing trying to get back into the swing of things.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm still around. long story, but a little burned out on the mazda world. Something that went on with one of the other boards. Really soured my feelings on mazda people so I'm slowing trying to get back into the swing of things.
Sorry to hear that. I'm not a Mazda fanboy or anything like that I just happen to have this car so I want to take care of it. I see how a lot of people can get though so I try to steer clear of things like that. I am biased to Japanese products though

We need you around

Needless to say, after posting, the cel came back after about 25 miles. The po445 and po441 codes disappeared though, leaving just the po171 and 174. I can live with those though if its just the intake. Ill have to keep an eye out for a used cpe mafci though. One of the reasons i got this sp intake was so it wouldnt throw a code like the straight 3" rd injen intake.

Ill look into replacing the vac lines i mentioned though. Do you know what sizes they are flipper? I remember you replaced all of yours I think and you had a pic with sizes for the ones off the im. I just dont know if those lines were listed.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 03:12 PM
banana boat.

PCV 5/8th

Fuel pressure regulator 1/4"

brake booster 1/2"

air actuator to manifold 3/8th on Manifold side, 1/4" on actuator side.

air actuator to charcoal canister 1/4"

Front crank case breather I know too, but depends on year for what size it is.... shouldn't matter though in what you need to get accomplished.

I have replaced them enough times to know that all by heart.

No bias here, in the last 3 weeks, I have put a 582 in a 55 PU and a 2.3L in a mazda6 and in the mean time have ordered parts waiting to be installed on the wife's 240sx (and some still on a boat from J-land). I love cars, don't really have a care who makes it so long as I can tinker and enjoy.....

The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
Riki desu (10-14-2013)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
PCV 5/8th

Fuel pressure regulator 1/4"

brake booster 1/2"

air actuator to manifold 3/8th on Manifold side, 1/4" on actuator side.

air actuator to charcoal canister 1/4"

Front crank case breather I know too, but depends on year for what size it is.... shouldn't matter though in what you need to get accomplished.

I have replaced them enough times to know that all by heart.
Any specific hose material you would recommend? Just go to parts store? Silicone?

I kinda like the rubber hose that came with my injen for the front crank case breather I believe. They just dont have the right sizes
Injen Online: Hoses

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page