Opionons wanted: Synthetic Oil Life - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opionons wanted: Synthetic Oil Life

Hello everyone. I had a full synthetic Amsoil put into my motor some time back. It is rated to last 20,000 mi but I have always been a little hesitate to go that length of time for the oil to be changed (filter is to be changed out at 10,000). So, I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this? I'm not too informed when it comes to oil life. I have had the same oil in my car since 118,000 and am at 126,000 right now. My gut is telling me that I might be pushing my luck with this oil and run the risk of sludge build up. So, thoughts everyone? Should I get changed ASAP or wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do 20,000 with any type of oil. I change mine at 5000K regardless of whether I use synthetic or the shop uses a blend. It comes out way to dark for me to even think about keeping it in there for 4x that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
I change it every 5000 miles. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Drizzoh Send a message via MSN to Drizzoh Send a message via Yahoo to Drizzoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do 20,000 with any type of oil. I change mine at 5000K regardless of whether I use synthetic or the shop uses a blend. It comes out way to dark for me to even think about keeping it in there for 4x that.
This. Hell no would I keep any oil for 20k miles, that's like 2 years of driving for me. I don't even let my coolant get that old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baam5774 View Post
I change it every 5000 miles. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic.
This as well. Nice oil in our motors, cheap and readily available at most Walmarts for ~$23/5q jug (the v6 takes 5.5q). I run it with K&N Filters.

Andrew |

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Yeah, I didn't mention it earlier, but I use Mobil1 if I do it myself, and if I'm having a shop do it, I try and find one that uses the Mobil blend (Clean 5000, I think).

I admit to using cheap filters, though.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
The only way I'd run an extended oil-change interval (OCI) of any significant length would be if I had a used-oil oil analysis (UOA) to back it up. Every single car is different and you can't just say "Oh it's a synthetic. It can go for 10k miles." even if the bottle says so. OCI's change over time as driving conditions change and mechanical issues arise, so it's usually a good idea to gets UOAs performed regularly to make sure your engine is happy with your fluid/filter/OCI combination. Blackstone Labs will test your sample and interpret your results for ~$20.

If all of that sounds like a waste of time and money to you then do what the other guys recommended: Mobil1 oil and a quality filter (e.g. Mobil1, K&N, Motorcraft/OEM) and change every 5k miles. Wally World usually carries a 5.5qt bottle for less than $30 and Amazon usually has good prices on filters.

Don't forget that filter quality is JUST as important as oil quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to xtmesisx For This Useful Post:
drifter420 (07-08-2013)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
normally you change your oil because it is dirty, it doesn't really break down. the better the filter, the longer you can go but def. not 20k. The only reason I use synthetic is because it maintains its viscosity under diff. conditions but I still wont go over 5k. the NAPA Nascar filters very fine particles and its cheaper than the NAPA Gold.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Guys, thank you. From the get go, my gut was telling me not to keep it in there for 20K. So, I am going to get it changed today as well (in addition to getting my tire patched; stupid nail and getting my batter replaced). Gotta love owning cars. haha

Honestly, I have just not had the time to get my oil changed out. I have had a lot of circumstances arise recently. That's the only reason why I pushed my oil the way that I did. Would you all recommend Vavoline's full synthetic?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 PM

I say go with Mobil1 if you can, but if Valvoline is what you can get, that should be fine. Really almost any oil (of the proper weight) is fine as long as you maintain the car properly. Check it every once in a while, and change it at 5000 (or earlier if it starts getting dirty faster).

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
MOST synthetic oil will do for 5K OCI. So I get whichever is on sale. ( which usually is Penzoil Platinum in my area )
I always use Carquest Blue oil filter on all my vehicles.
My Bro's VW Tiguon is 10K oil change interval.

Just cause the oil can do 20K doesn't mean it will last 20K to our engine. Each engine,enviroment, and driving style beats the oil differently. If the manufacturer book on the car doesn't say some ridicolous high number. 5K OCI with synthetic will be more then enough.

@xtmesisx best said it.. If you want to ensure you can go longer OCI then that. Then get an UOA ( Used Oil Analysis ). Then there's numbers to back it up if extending is usable in your application.

06 Mazda 6 Wagon V6 / ATX 6 Speed with 6's in plates covered in Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page