Advice - pre-cat replacement - Catalytic Converter - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gutted both pre-cats this past weekend. The car drives 100% better. It doesn't feel like a pig down low any more. I no longer get any random misfires. I did have an issue with one of my COP units which I had to track down last night. The cat must have fried one of the COP units. I swapped it out for another and it's been perfect since.

My only issue now is the CEL for the missing precats. I was hoping the spark plug fouler trick would work but it already popped a check engine light so I'll look into something else. I know some recommended the O2 Simulators. I'd rather build my own since I have electronic experience. I'll search around.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for hi-jacking this thread.
korol likes this.

Visit:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 3L swaps for your Contour/Cougar/Mazda 6 or for general repair work at low rates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackcoog For This Useful Post:
korol (02-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 AM
e4w

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to e4w
Re: Advice - pre-cat replacement - Catalytic Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcoog View Post
I gutted both pre-cats this past weekend. The car drives 100% better. It doesn't feel like a pig down low any more. I no longer get any random misfires. I did have an issue with one of my COP units which I had to track down last night. The cat must have fried one of the COP units. I swapped it out for another and it's been perfect since.

My only issue now is the CEL for the missing precats. I was hoping the spark plug fouler trick would work but it already popped a check engine light so I'll look into something else. I know some recommended the O2 Simulators. I'd rather build my own since I have electronic experience. I'll search around.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for hi-jacking this thread.
Glad you got it right... I think someone else tried the spark plug no foul on the O2 trick with the same results. I can't wait to ditch my precats. When you build your own O2 sim, please share!

[B][SIZE=2]2004 6s MTX/sport clutch/air box mod/de badged/ TB Coolant by-pass /6000K HID/AWR 88D Rear mount/AWR 88D upper trans mount/exh mod

my 6

185.66hp/ 170tq 11/2011

213kmi (Sept 4, 2016) update

Last edited by e4w; 03-06-2013 at 12:25 PM.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM

After looking around at foulers online I think I know the issue. The foulers I bought are too short. I'm going to buy another set for $3 and stack/extend them to see if the signal drops enough to eliminate the light. When I install the O2 into the ones I have the sensor end is almost flush with the end of the fouler and the common foulers everyone has good luck with appear to be at least twice as long. Hopefully there is enough room (I think there is). I'll try it tonight and report back.

It will look like this when finished with two foulers stacked on each post cat O2 sensor:

Vs. this picture showing only one which does not work

Search O2 foulers and look through Google images you'll see what I mean. Most double stack them. You can buy foulers that are longer so you don't have to stack them. I'd bet that's why some have had luck and some haven't. Those that have the CEL still probably used foulers that are too short. The fouler pulls the sensor out of the stream reducing flow making the ECU think the precats are still in place. There has to be a decent drop in flow but the sensor still has to function.

Keep in mind you do need to drill the foulers out so the sensor fits inside of it. The foulers aren't made for O2 sensors it just happens to work.

Visit:
for 3L swaps for your Contour/Cougar/Mazda 6 or for general repair work at low rates.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 03-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.
korol (02-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nautilus Performance Group (NPG) | Performance Automotive Parts | Turbo Kits | Supercharger Kits | Duratec Engine Blocks

My cats also disintegrated about a year ago. Link above, are actually made by someone else (the best ones recommended on this forum but cant remeber who) and re-badged for a cheaper price. With no cat I did get a CEL of cat below threshold temp about once a month so I added their metal performance cat. Total price for headers, and cats was about $750 shipped. Adds some more horsepower and sounds really nice without being loud. Take your old cats to some one that buys them for recycling. I got $350 back for mine.
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Forgot to mention that with the performance metal cat I havent had a CEL in a year.
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Precats usually get about $10-15 each at the recycling centers around here. Main cats will get you a bit more.
korol likes this.

Visit:

korol (02-01-2017)
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM

No check engine lights now for about 50 miles. Stacking those foulers did the trick.

I did have another issue pop up. The gas gauge apparently doesn't go below 1/4 of a tank so I ran out of gas and had to push the car off the road. I pulled the pump last night and cleaned the sender contacts with ISO. The gauge immediately started working and dropped to E.

No problems left. Woohoo!

Visit:

post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM
e4w

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to e4w
Re: Advice - pre-cat replacement - Catalytic Converter

Quote:
No check engine lights now for about 50 miles. Stacking those foulers did the trick.

I did have another issue pop up. The gas gauge apparently doesn't go below 1/4 of a tank so I ran out of gas and had to push the car off the road. I pulled the pump last night and cleaned the sender contacts with ISO. The gauge immediately started working and dropped to E.

No problems left. Woohoo!
Nice!!! Did you use your scanner to make sure everything is "complete"?

[B][SIZE=2]2004 6s MTX/sport clutch/air box mod/de badged/ TB Coolant by-pass /6000K HID/AWR 88D Rear mount/AWR 88D upper trans mount/exh mod

my 6

185.66hp/ 170tq 11/2011

213kmi (Sept 4, 2016) update
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Quote:
After looking around at foulers online I think I know the issue. The foulers I bought are too short. I'm going to buy another set for $3 and stack/extend them to see if the signal drops enough to eliminate the light. When I install the O2 into the ones I have the sensor end is almost flush with the end of the fouler and the common foulers everyone has good luck with appear to be at least twice as long. Hopefully there is enough room (I think there is). I'll try it tonight and report back.

It will look like this when finished with two foulers stacked on each post cat O2 sensor:

Keep in mind you do need to drill the foulers out so the sensor fits inside of it. The foulers aren't made for O2 sensors it just happens to work.
Are you just trying to lean things out?
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigQwerty View Post
Forgot to mention that with the performance metal cat I havent had a CEL in a year.
You replaced both main cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page