Keys to a high mileage engine - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keys to a high mileage engine

Here are some things that I have done to have a 190K+ mileage V6 engine. I have not babied my engine at all except the first few thousand miles since new and do drive quite aggressively. After reading so many horror stories, I decided to give some advice to all those that have this engine.

1. If new (probably does not apply any more), vary engine RPM for the first 500 or so miles. This will help break the engine in.

2. I have used Mazda filters and went to Mazda dealerships for oil changes for first 15K miles oil (free oil changes came with the car). After that, I have been using Pureone oil filters with either Amsoil 5W20 or Mobil 1 5W20 fully synthetic every 5K miles.

3. Replace my PCV valve every 20K or every year. They are not that expensive. I also replaced the PCV hose at around 150K. It is a revised design. I seems thicker and sturdier compared to the old one. I noticed that the old one would get compressed as if someone were squeezing it at idle (highest engine vacuum). Don't know if this leads to oil being sucked into the engine as well since the hose has a smaller opening now causing increased pressure in the hose.

4. Check your oil regularly (every few days, week, or gas fill up). Also check it on a level surface. Your readings will vary if you're on a hill or sloped street.

5. Get those flashing check engine lights taken care of quickly. That usually means you have an engine misfire. This will cause unburnt gas to enter the cats and cause the internals to melt, then eventually breaking down and getting sucked into your engine. I did get the misfire CEL at around 105K and did not drive it at all. Had it towed to the dealership where they raped me for changing all the spark plugs and coils. I was gonna do it myself, but too cold out.

6. If you get the precat check engine light, you need to replace the cats ASAP! Try not to drive the vehicle. Either replace with OEM cats or MSDS or CPE headers. I currently have MSDS headers with a high flow cat using stock cat back and have had them since 123K miles. I believe there is a federal warranty that requires the dealership to replace them even after the standard warranty is overdue.

7. Fix any oil leaks (oil pan gasket, front crankshaft seal, rear main seal)

8. Replace your spark plugs and coils. I replace my spark plugs with stock ones every 60K miles. I currently have NGk iridiums though.

9. For those with the top end ticking noise, I have had that since day 1.

10. I have used Techron , Seafoam and BG 44k fuel additives once in a blue moon.

11. I always if possible fill up at a major chain gas station....except BP
(don't ask)

12. I always warm up my engine when starting from cold. I wait at least until the temp gauge starts moving and/ or around 1K rpms. Some others wait a bit longer. I keep the rpms below 2K while driving till the engine warms up fully.

My current oil consumption is 1-1.5 quarts every 5K miles. If I missed something, please add on.

2003 Mazda 6s- Konis all around, Progress Rear Sway, Hid in Lows, Brembo blanks w/ Hawk Ceramics, PIAA 1000XT's, 225/45/17 Dunlop Signatures, Continental Extreme Contitacts, MSDS headers w/Magnaflow spun metallic cat w/stock exhaust, Street Unit Wishbone Mount, AWR Tranny Mount, K & N airbox filter
The Following User Says Thank You to chilimax21 For This Useful Post:
aztrojans12 (01-04-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
there is no code for Pre-cat failure.

if a "O2 sensor with no reading" or w/e the code is comes up........ you are already up shit creek.

CATs are warrantied federally for 80k or 8 years

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flipper66; 01-04-2011 at 08:44 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info.

My 6 is the first car I've owned from the era of multiple/close-coupled catalytic converters. It looks like keeping unlit fuel and oil out of the cat baffling is critical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Chilimax for the tips. I just changed my PCV (without removing the manifold) and also replaced the hose. I paid $1 and bought 5/8" vacuum hose from Checker and cut to fit. I know some people have had problems with the hose collapsing, so I am going to keep an eye on the hose to see how it holds up. I did put a clamp around the middle of the hose for a little extra support. I paid $10 for the PCV shipped from Rock Auto. I last changed the PCV 30,000 miles ago, and noticed the older PCV didn't rattle near as much as the new one when shook, so I could tell it was slowly getting sludged up. I think alot of people change the spark plugs but ignore the coils, and the coils seem to be a real weak point. I think it's key to replace all of the coils if somebody wants to hit high mileage on their 6. They will eventually all go bad, and you may drive around for awhile with a coil not working at 100%, but not get a CEL from it and not notice the slight misfire. This will eventually destroy the precats, so don't risk it and just replace all of the coils. I paid around $200 for 6 Standard Motor Products coils from Rock Auto, and have had them installed for around 20,000 miles with 0 issues. I just passed 106,000 miles and still going strong with original clutch and pre-cats. I change my oil every 3k on the dot (overkill I know), and check my oil levels probably 2 or 3 times a week. My 6 doesn't burn a lick of oil, but I do have a slow but steady leak at the front of the engine (don't know if it's the timing cover, cam seal, or what?).

2004 Mazda 6s MTX

Last edited by aztrojans12; 01-04-2011 at 09:48 AM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
e4w

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to e4w
check your axle boot on the passenger side, closest to your motor, your clamp may be losing tension, like mine and slinging grease on your motor. i degreased my motor and found out this problem.

i would add upstream O2 sensors to that list above as preventive maintenance, to protect the precats too!

[B][SIZE=2]2004 6s MTX/sport clutch/air box mod/de badged/ TB Coolant by-pass /6000K HID/AWR 88D Rear mount/AWR 88D upper trans mount/exh mod

my 6

185.66hp/ 170tq 11/2011

213kmi (Sept 4, 2016) update

Last edited by e4w; 01-04-2011 at 10:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to e4w For This Useful Post:
aztrojans12 (01-04-2011)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM

I will double check the axle boot clamp, but it's quite a bit of sludge on the engine, so I don't know if there is enough grease in the boot to cause it or not? But I will take a look and see. It is weird though because I have noticed this for awhile, and don't ever see my oil levels drop at all. Thanks for the tip I will check and see.

2004 Mazda 6s MTX
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 66
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MonoxideChild
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrojans12 View Post
I just changed my PCV (without removing the manifold) and also replaced the hose.
there's no reason to remove the manifold on the v6 to remove the PCV valve. you only have to do that on the 2.3 because the PCV is located behind the intake manifold.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
e4w

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to e4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoxideChild View Post
there's no reason to remove the manifold on the v6 to remove the PCV valve. you only have to do that on the 2.3 because the PCV is located behind the intake manifold.
you dont have to remove the intake, true on the V6, but if you have BIG hands, its a tight squeeze with the needle nose pliers in hand to twist the PCV out.

[B][SIZE=2]2004 6s MTX/sport clutch/air box mod/de badged/ TB Coolant by-pass /6000K HID/AWR 88D Rear mount/AWR 88D upper trans mount/exh mod

my 6

185.66hp/ 170tq 11/2011

213kmi (Sept 4, 2016) update
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
Replacing coils for the sake of replacing is silly.

so are alot of the other ideas here.

I just replaced my first PCV at 125k, and still have 3-6 OEM coils from 7 YEARS ago. I removed the cats at 119k and they were still brand spankin new inside.

no discussion of the reliability of the ATX or Plenum gaskets which if anything is the most fail prone things you will have to deal with.....

I'm also amazed at what people pay for parts and then on top of that pay to have them installed. Yall need to start shopping around a bit.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Because you haven't had problems with the coils doesn't mean that logic applies across the board to every Mazda 6. I am just saying that if you want to be proactive rather than reactive, and increase the probability of the Mazda 6 reaching 200,000 miles +, it's better to error on the safe side and eliminate some of the 6 "killers". And seeing that many people have had issues with the coils, that only points to a higher probability of experiencing issues. I don't mind spending a little extra $ as I go along to help reduce my chance of ruining the engine, and being stuck with a loan on a car that isn't worth squat. Just my preference and what level of risk I am willing to take on.

2004 Mazda 6s MTX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page