Excessive rust on front hub of Mazda 6 2012 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excessive rust on front hub of Mazda 6 2012

I took my car in for a front brake job at 75K miles. The mechanic told me the rotors are not coming off. There is huge amount of rust at the front end hub, knuckle and bearing and they need to be replaced for $1700. What is going on with the excessive rust? Is Mazda going to issue a recall? The car is only 6.5 years old. This is my third Mazda. I never had a problem like this on my 99 Millenia, or the 04 Mazda 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Smells fishy

Maybe I'm a cynic (OK, definitely then) but I suspect your mechanic has a boat payment due. I would certainly take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milleniacm View Post
I took my car in for a front brake job at 75K miles. The mechanic told me the rotors are not coming off. There is huge amount of rust at the front end hub, knuckle and bearing and they need to be replaced for $1700. What is going on with the excessive rust? Is Mazda going to issue a recall? The car is only 6.5 years old. This is my third Mazda. I never had a problem like this on my 99 Millenia, or the 04 Mazda 6.
It sounds very suspicious to me. I would look for a second opinion. It's seems highly unlikely that a car of that age and mileage should develop such issues. Those are wheels and there has to be some dirt and rust, but so much that it warrants a repair of that magnitude, I doubt it. Mechanics are not the most wholesome people there are anyway. I think that of course they can remove the rotors, but they just want to make it a USD 1700 job. If they can't take them off of the car, find someone who can.

If the bearings are not making noise when turned by hand, they should not be touched. That's my position on that matter and it has worked for me for decades and number of cars so far.

Some WD40 and a steel brush will reveal the truth. Go over the rust and see if it's only superficial or it goes deep. If there are no substantial pieces of metal missing and if there are no unwanted sounds or movements, then everything is fine. USD 1700 will buy you a lot of fuel, new wheels or even a nice handgun.

Seriously, I've noticed that mechanics quite often choose to add extra work and parts when it comes to brakes and suspension, probably because people are most worried about those parts failing. But don't forget that the manufacturers really don't want exactly those parts failing, so they mostly do a great job there. Don't let anyone scare you into handing out loads of money without a good reason. Check everything they say in any way you can.

Good luck.
Kalalicious likes this.

2008 Mazda 6 2.5 (125 kW), GTA Euro spec, bone stock.
_______

2003 Mazda 6 2.0 CD (100 kW Diesel), GT Sport Euro spec, bone stock. - sold
_______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with everyone above, get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kalalicious and hurddawg like this.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- ->
<-
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yep.

Even when I lived in the rust-and-salted-road belt (I don't any more) I never saw that happen on any of my vehicles or any of my friends, and some of THEM ran the brakes to "grind metal" on a regular basis.

I call BS and this guy is trying to hose you out of well north of a thousand bucks.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milleniacm View Post
I took my car in for a front brake job at 75K miles. The mechanic told me the rotors are not coming off. There is huge amount of rust at the front end hub, knuckle and bearing and they need to be replaced for $1700.
The cynic in me wants to quote the great philosopher Apollo of Caprica and just say Feldercarb.
I will just concur with the rest and recommend getting a second opinion.

Honestly, how much of an inspection can be done on the hubs & bearings if you can't get the rotor off?
What I can believe is that the screws holding the rotor onto the hub may be corroded and rusted and couldn't be removed with a giant philips screwdriver.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Oh man, go somewhere else, sounds like a load of bull, never came across anything about rotors not being able to come off even with rusted screws, any seasoned knowledable mechanic knows what to do, this guys sounds like he just want take you for a ride financially.

Last edited by MadStyle; 01-07-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Myche View Post
What I can believe is that the screws holding the rotor onto the hub may be corroded and rusted and couldn't be removed with a giant philips screwdriver.
I agree with everyone above as well - get a second opinion elsewhere.

For the point quoted above, the guy ought to get an impact screw driver and a small sledge hammer if he's having that many problems. Something like this would likely work 90% of the time:

There are of course many other models out there as well. My Craftsman has been with me for 20 years now.

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Meh. If the screws are corroded in place (not uncommon; idjits don't put a bit of brake caliper grease on the threads before installing them, which you should, and if you do they won't rust into the hub) then you get your drill out and drill the head off the screw.

JUST THE HEAD! That leaves plenty to grab with a vice-grip and remove it once the rotor is off.

Push comes to shove if you break THAT (the stub) off in the hub getting it out leave it alone. That screw is just there to keep the rotor in place until you bolt the wheel on; in other words, its for CONVENIENCE. It's not required and having it not there will do no harm.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
I agree with everyone else that the mechanic may well be full of it. Try a different one.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |

Mods: NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page