My OV Tune review thread--2018 Mazda 6 GT 2.5 Turbo - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up My OV Tune review thread--2018 Mazda 6 GT 2.5 Turbo

I thought I would start a separate thread to chronicle the process and review the tune. I have just received my software license key, so I will be getting the needed vehicle information, doing a stock ECU file dump to send to OV, and start datalogging, etc. Once I receive my first tune, I will be back with a review. I hope to have the vehicle information and stock ECU dump to OV by mid-week next week. I will get as much to them as I can on Monday.
idrive, bacevedo and jim94610 like this.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus tuning, Corksport intake, Corksport Boost Tube, Pedal Commander, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating, Dawn Enterprises trunk lip/spoiler. Coming soon: Corksport turbo inlet pipe, Progress rear sway-bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exciting news, can't wait to see the results! What kind of gains are you expecting from the tune?
TORQUERULES likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Nice! Thanks for the keeping us in the loop. I'll be eagerly waiting for your updates.
TORQUERULES likes this.

2018 Mazda6 GTR White Pearl

ENKEI Tuning Series TD5 Pearl Black | CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact Sport | CorkSport Boost Tube | Tanabe Strut Tower Brace | Tinted Windows | OEM Splash Guards | Door Sill Trim Plates | Husky Liners Floor Mats

Ready to Install: Ultra Racing Rear Anti-Sway Bar

Thinking About: CorkSport Intercooler Upgrade | CorkSport Intercooler Piping Upgrade | Aftermarket Exhaust | Free-flow Cat | ECU Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Subbed! I have the CorkSport Intake for my CX-9 as well, just haven't installed it yet. I plan to do some of the same mods as you, like the intercooler and intercooler piping upgrade (if they release it for the CX-9).

Regarding the Pedal Commander, will you be using it with the tune, or will you be removing it? From what I understand, they can adjust throttle response just like the Pedal Commander can, but you would lose the ability to switch throttle response behaviour on the fly.
TORQUERULES likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
For those of you that aren't aware there is a huge OVT thread resource at the stickies here: https://forum.mazda6club.com/434-2-5l-i-4/
TORQUERULES likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

You can use the Pedal Commander with the tune, you just need to disable it during datalogging. I ordered the throttle calibration enhancement, but according to OV they have not broken into those files on the ECU yet. When they are available I will get an update. When that happens, I will probably take off the Pedal Commander (IF the throttle calibration is up to my expectations, which it should be from previous experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
Subbed! I have the CorkSport Intake for my CX-9 as well, just haven't installed it yet. I plan to do some of the same mods as you, like the intercooler and intercooler piping upgrade (if they release it for the CX-9).

Regarding the Pedal Commander, will you be using it with the tune, or will you be removing it? From what I understand, they can adjust throttle response just like the Pedal Commander can, but you would lose the ability to switch throttle response behaviour on the fly.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus tuning, Corksport intake, Corksport Boost Tube, Pedal Commander, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating, Dawn Enterprises trunk lip/spoiler. Coming soon: Corksport turbo inlet pipe, Progress rear sway-bar.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

I got my Device and VIN keys today so I will be able to send them my 1:1 ECU dump as well as my first datalog. I am going to try to do that this evening.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFish View Post
Exciting news, can't wait to see the results! What kind of gains are you expecting from the tune?

Right now they are concentrating on figuring out all of the files as well as concentrating on reliability as well as power which is fine with me. 30+whp and wtq is where they are falling currently, but I believe they have mostly been working with CX-9s, so the 6 may do a little better. They really want to get around 45-50whp and wtq as that would be a nice number that would be feasible without hurting reliability.

Remember, this is on a fully stock engine. It would be possible to gain even more peak torque, but with stock component reliability still a relative unknown, it would be better to just concentrate with total power under the curve.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post
Right now they are concentrating on figuring out all of the files as well as concentrating on reliability as well as power which is fine with me. 30+whp and wtq is where they are falling currently, but I believe they have mostly been working with CX-9s, so the 6 may do a little better. They really want to get around 45-50whp and wtq as that would be a nice number that would be feasible without hurting reliability.

Remember, this is on a fully stock engine. It would be possible to gain even more peak torque, but with stock component reliability still a relative unknown, it would be better to just concentrate with total power under the curve.
I only got 20+ as it won't be reliable if they push it at 40+ HP. Unless I'll remove the DPF and replace the exhaust manifold with at least 3 inches, but I'm not willing to do it at the moment.

I haven't checked with them to see if there is any future update with the tune since a year have passed.

What I have is the 2.2 L diesel variant.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Sent my ECU dump and first datalog yesterday evening. I forgot how doggy the throttle felt without the Pedal Commander turned on! Glad to have that over and be able to turn it back on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page