LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oil Catch Can for 2.5t

I suppose this should be on the radar/wish list of any Mazda6 Signature owner. The 2.5t is a Direct Injection engine, and therefore will need a catch-can on the PCV line to keep the valves from crudding up with baked-on engine oil. Has anybody researched this or perhaps found a solution for the CX-9 that should fit on the Mazda6 as well?

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-14-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groans: 0
In our local group, someone's installing this Oil Catch Can. A reliable friend of mine assured me that this is a good modification.

"For DI & turbo, it'll be beneficial. TitoMar will soon have an OVT 1."

"Oh, u need not worry w warranty...its a bolt on reversible mod. OCC will delay carbon build up(happy)"

Once I have time, I'll have this installed.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
In our local group, someone's installing this Oil Catch Can. A reliable friend of mine assured me that this is a good modification.

"For DI & turbo, it'll be beneficial. TitoMar will soon have an OVT 1."

"Oh, u need not worry w warranty...its a bolt on reversible mod. OCC will delay carbon build up(happy)"

Once I have time, I'll have this installed.
These are a HUGE plus for these engines. Not only will it not affect warranty, but they are CARB legal (without CARB certification) in the state of California. There are some smog stations that may attempt to fail you on the visual inspection due to their own ignorance & paranoia (that they could be setting themselves up for getting busted); the simple fact is they are LEGAL in California on today's modern vehicles. I don't have it on this computer handy but on another one that is offline at the moment. but I do have an official pdf from the State of California specifically speaking to this component and this part of the emissions system. Not only that, but MFG such as Ford performance offer them for sale (Mustang, etc) and they are 50 state legal. FYI for those so considering this IMO, essential piece of hardware for DI engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone View Post
These are a HUGE plus for these engines. Not only will it not affect warranty, but they are CARB legal (without CARB certification) in the state of California. There are some smog stations that may attempt to fail you on the visual inspection due to their own ignorance & paranoia (that they could be setting themselves up for getting busted); the simple fact is they are LEGAL in California on today's modern vehicles. I don't have it on this computer handy but on another one that is offline at the moment. but I do have an official pdf from the State of California specifically speaking to this component and this part of the emissions system. Not only that, but MFG such as Ford performance offer them for sale (Mustang, etc) and they are 50 state legal. FYI for those so considering this IMO, essential piece of hardware for DI engines.
This is very assuring! I truly trust my friend with his recommendation but this being legal in California is a big plus. I've heard that California has stringent rules when it comes to the environment.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
i thought that mazda designed an amazing engine with the high compression low octane sky active stuff. you mean to tell me in all their wisdom they completely ignored the oil and carbon control issue identified a decade ago and owners need to start adding those stupid little cans to these cars now too?
Tosko likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
i thought that mazda designed an amazing engine with the high compression low octane sky active stuff. you mean to tell me in all their wisdom they completely ignored the oil and carbon control issue identified a decade ago and owners need to start adding those stupid little cans to these cars now too?
Mazda isn't the only one. Fortunately and to their credit, Ford has at least presented an aftermarket solution. Cummins, to their credit, has included an oil separator for a few years now on their diesels. The DI system is just that way as far as some way to capture that oil.. Lexus, IIRC, has created a system that is both DI and Port injected to mitigate the oil build up.
RobertD likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Thanked 1,152 Times in 841 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Subscribed. I'm interested to see if someone will or has done this, and consider making a DIY thread so others can benefit from it...
Tosko likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Subscribed. I'm interested to see if someone will or has done this, and consider making a DIY thread so others can benefit from it...
I want a clean looking, OEM installation. It's not yet a priority for now, I've got a tight budget.

I'll post pictures and if possible, a step-by-step one.
Tosko likes this.

Last edited by Archerfish; 12-15-2018 at 08:50 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Excellent idea! We have not YET acquired our new Maz6 Signature, but when we do, it will be one of, if not the first, addition to the car. For me, the less oil carbon-ing up the valves from the moment we get it from the dealership, the better. YMMV. IMO it's a necessary part of preventative maintenance/protocol for these DI engines.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
I want a clean looking, OEM installation. It's not yet a priority for now, I've got a tight budget.

Plus one on the OEM looking install.

I'll post pictures and if possible, a step-by-step one.
That would be super. thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page