post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 GTR Oil Change

Good Afternoon board.. quick question so far my current mileage is 7,500 and have no complaints.. around 3,500 miles I had a early oil change done at my local Mazda dealer where the car was purchased. They put regular 5W30 engine oil (non-synthetic). However, after about a month I read my owners manual it clearly states since my vehicle is a turbo application..the vehicle needs 5W30 synthetic engine oil. As a result, I immediately took the car to a different local dealer and this time they used 5W30 synthetic oil.

Prior to getting my second oil change done using 5W30 Synthetic.. I called the Mazda customer center hotline and told them regarding the first oil change not being synthetic. They told me not to worry and the Turbo Skyactive can use either 5W30 Non-Synthetic or 5W30 Synthetic for "optimal performance"...

- 2016 Mazda 6 GT (sold)

- 2018 Mazda 6 GT Reserve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Very unlikely you did any real harm -- but the stealer did it, so keep the documentation just in case.

And run synthetic in the future. The turbo in particular will thank you for that.
Mad Myche likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Bizarre how SO MANY dealers are ignoring the oil requirements...

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: Matte black painted OEM wheels | Painted calipers (red) | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Very unlikely you did any real harm -- but the stealer did it, so keep the documentation just in case.

And run synthetic in the future. The turbo in particular will thank you for that.
Yes I did and contacted Mazda customer service hotline to let them know.. after checking the Mobile1 oil finder the most basic "viscosity" my car uses is indeed 5W30 and above to the Synthetic level.

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sele...WSkgKEdBUyk%3d

- 2016 Mazda 6 GT (sold)

- 2018 Mazda 6 GT Reserve
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Synthetic or non synthetic shouldn't make a difference in keeping the enging healthy. The only difference would be the intervals for oil changes. With Synthetic you can go longer between oil changes.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Synthetic or non synthetic shouldn't make a difference in keeping the enging healthy. The only difference would be the intervals for oil changes. With Synthetic you can go longer between oil changes.

I disagree. Synthetics have far better tolerances to heat as such anything with a turbo should be running synthetic. You will coke up a turbo in no time on regular dino oil. Not saying it won't work, just shouldn't do it.
1BlinkGone likes this.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I disagree. Synthetics have far better tolerances to heat as such anything with a turbo should be running synthetic. You will coke up a turbo in no time on regular dino oil. Not saying it won't work, just shouldn't do it.
And I disagree. You are just blowing unnecessary money when putting in synthetic, unless you are racing the car, or like I said, you prefer to keep your oil longer. As per the OP the manufacturer's customer service department said it's ok to put in regular oil, then just use regular oil, because it was designed for it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Today, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
And I disagree. You are just blowing unnecessary money when putting in synthetic, unless you are racing the car, or like I said, you prefer to keep your oil longer. As per the OP the manufacturer's customer service department said it's ok to put in regular oil, then just use regular oil, because it was designed for it.
Respectfully, I cannot disagree more. Case in point, the VW B5 era Passat 1.8 turbo history. Problems with oil sludging, cooked turbos, etc...Part of VW's solution was to mandate Synthetic Blend if not Full Synthetic, 502.00 VW spec. They would prefer you using Full Synthetic. And yes i have one of these exact cars. Did I run dino oil in it? YES FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE OIL CHANGES ONLY after I bought the car. Now I run nothing but full synthetic in it, period. If a 2000 VW turbo needs synthetic, now much more do today's turbo engines need it with closer tolerances, tighter engine compartments and higher intrinsic under-hood heat indexes?

Now, regarding the OP (Kodo_6GT's) comment here: "I read my owners manual it clearly states since my vehicle is a turbo application..the vehicle needs 5W30 synthetic engine oil. As a result, I immediately took the car to a different local dealer and this time they used 5W30 synthetic oil."

Keep in mind that my local Mazda dealership svc dept carries Castrol 5W-30 conventional oil. I have no idea if they also have synthetic, as this was before I had interest in a new Maz6 Siggy...

So I just downloaded the 2018 Owners manual. What I have found is this in section 6, pg 25:

Temperature Range SAE Viscosity Oils
Skyactiv 2.5T-G
(Europe)
Recommended oil:
Mazda Original Oil 5W-30 (this is a full synthetic)

Alternative Oil Quality:
API SN or ACEA A5/B5 0W-30 or 5W-30

(Except Europe)

API SN or ACEA A5/B5 10W-30, 5W-30, 0W-30

Just just where the OP found the Synthetic Specified in the manual remains in question, (unless they are in Europe and its clearly Recommended Synthetic)... having said that, though today's dino oils are better then ever (with additives for turbos, etc) today's synthetics are even BETTER. Add to that the old but still current adage:
"An ounce of Prevention prevents a pound of cure", I wouldn't skimp on motor oil on the cheap. Go all in and save yourself some massive cash outlay down the road on possible costly repairs that could have been avoided. It's not that much more $$ for the synthetic...what, the cost of one sub sandwich lunch?

Don't forget your spark plugs should be replaced every 60,000km (about 37,000 miles) on that 2.5T...
Mad Myche likes this.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; Today at 01:10 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Today, 03:36 AM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone View Post
Respectfully, I cannot disagree more. Case in point, the VW B5 era Passat 1.8 turbo history. Problems with oil sludging, cooked turbos, etc...Part of VW's solution was to mandate Synthetic Blend if not Full Synthetic, 502.00 VW spec. They would prefer you using Full Synthetic. And yes i have one of these exact cars. Did I run dino oil in it? YES FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE OIL CHANGES ONLY after I bought the car. Now I run nothing but full synthetic in it, period. If a 2000 VW turbo needs synthetic, now much more do today's turbo engines need it with closer tolerances, tighter engine compartments and higher intrinsic under-hood heat indexes?

Now, regarding the OP (Kodo_6GT's) comment here: "I read my owners manual it clearly states since my vehicle is a turbo application..the vehicle needs 5W30 synthetic engine oil. As a result, I immediately took the car to a different local dealer and this time they used 5W30 synthetic oil."

Keep in mind that my local Mazda dealership svc dept carries Castrol 5W-30 conventional oil. I have no idea if they also have synthetic, as this was before I had interest in a new Maz6 Siggy...

So I just downloaded the 2018 Owners manual. What I have found is this in section 6, pg 25:

Temperature Range SAE Viscosity Oils
Skyactiv 2.5T-G
(Europe)
Recommended oil:
Mazda Original Oil 5W-30 (this is a full synthetic)

Alternative Oil Quality:
API SN or ACEA A5/B5 0W-30 or 5W-30

(Except Europe)

API SN or ACEA A5/B5 10W-30, 5W-30, 0W-30

Just just where the OP found the Synthetic Specified in the manual remains in question, (unless they are in Europe and its clearly Recommended Synthetic)... having said that, though today's dino oils are better then ever (with additives for turbos, etc) today's synthetics are even BETTER. Add to that the old but still current adage:
"An ounce of Prevention prevents a pound of cure", I wouldn't skimp on motor oil on the cheap. Go all in and save yourself some massive cash outlay down the road on possible costly repairs that could have been avoided. It's not that much more $$ for the synthetic...what, the cost of one sub sandwich lunch?

Don't forget your spark plugs should be replaced every 60,000km (about 37,000 miles) on that 2.5T...
Gosh people get so finicky with their oil. If mazda dealers use dino oils and most shops will use dino oil, don't you think it's ok?
I used to own a modified turbo b16 civic and only used regular oil, that engine went 85k miles with the turbo, no problems. The only thing I did was change it every 1k miles and I always used the recommended viscosity.
But if you want to continue using synthetic go ahead and I will continue doing what I do. My car only has 2300 miles, but it already went through its first oil change, and guess what, the dealer used regular dino oil. It's common practice so let's not call foul when there is no foul.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Today, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Gosh people get so finicky with their oil. If mazda dealers use dino oils and most shops will use dino oil, don't you think it's ok?
I used to own a modified turbo b16 civic and only used regular oil, that engine went 85k miles with the turbo, no problems. The only thing I did was change it every 1k miles and I always used the recommended viscosity.
But if you want to continue using synthetic go ahead and I will continue doing what I do. My car only has 2300 miles, but it already went through its first oil change, and guess what, the dealer used regular dino oil. It's common practice so let's not call foul when there is no foul.
Yes let's not, because I didn't "call foul". I really could care less if you choose to put lemonade in your crankcase. I'm just stating facts re the Passat issue for starters....And yes, my local Mazda dealership also has the Synthetic...must be a reason for that....carry on. OH BTW, it is still unclear just what the Owners Manual is saying here....BTW more and more cars ARE mandating Synthetics...one reason is that say 0W-20 oil which is soup de jour for many cars today is strictly...Synthetic. Carry on...

To the OP can you guide us to what section and page in your Owners Manual it clearly states the 2.5T should have synthetic? Because IF they do, it should be adhered to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page