Wrong engine oil grade used by dealer - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
I think you're correct. You can switch back and forth and even mix them if that's you're fancy.
Yes you can but I wouldn't recommend it. What is important is checking the specs of your oil and make sure it's the same specs as what your engine calls for. Check to see what certifications are required of your engine oil.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
There's no problem with switching to or from synthetic, or using make-up oil of one or the other.

The reason to use full synthetic is that it has MUCH better resistance to coking ("cooking", basically) and modern engines have the top compression ring VERY close to the fire deck in a bid to reduce emissions by reducing the "dead space" where burnable fuel:air mixture can get to but won't burn cleanly. That specific location is where the heat resistance matters when it comes to oil as that film of oil on the cylinder wall and lubrication of the rings and lands is essential; if the oil cokes there it will build up in the ring lands, cause the top compression ring to stick and eventually break. In addition turbocharged engines rely on the oil to cool the center section of the turbocharger and when shut down residual heat in the turbo remains -- and if the turbo is above the coking temperature of the oil in use it WILL coke in the bearing and that starts a progressive, destructive cycle that will eventually destroy the turbo.

Coked oil that makes its way back into the pan will sludge up the pickup screen and, in some cases, can result in the oil filter bypass opening by plugging up the filter sufficiently to force it open; if that happens then the sludge winds up everywhere in the engine and can restrict oil flow, especially at idle, leading to severe damage. If it plugs up the pickup screen then you get low oil pressure and again -- severe damage.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I talked with the service department of my dealer and they only use synthetic oil in the skyactive mazda. Turbo or not.

With my 2nd gen, they were using a synthetic blend IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page