No synthetic oil for 2018 2.5T?? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
No synthetic oil for 2018 2.5T??

I stopped by my dealer on Friday to pick up some touch up paint. While I was there, they did the Android Auto update and gave me a complementary oil change. I told them that I wanted them to use synthetic oil. The person in the Service Department who was helping me told me that the manufacturer stated that you should not use synthetic motor oil in the 2.5 Skyactive Turbo. I thought this was strange. She said she would follow up with the technicians as to why. I didn't have time to stick around for an answer, but she said she would call me this week with a thorough explanation.

Has anyone else heard or read this before? I have always used synthetic in my vehicles, so this sounded strange. Studies have shown that synthetic motor oil improves longevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Nonsense. All of Mazda's skyactiv engines, turbo or NA require synthetic oil.

However, just because an oil claims to be synthetic does not mean it is a good oil, just like an oil that claims to be Dino (non-synthetic) is not necessarily a bad oil.

If you want to do your own oil changes, my recommendation is to use Motul 5W30 it's a very good high performance oil perfect for turbo engines. Another great choice is Liqui-Moly. If you drive in a hot climate, don't hesitate to use 5W40.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Nonsense. All of Mazda's skyactiv engines, turbo or NA require synthetic oil.

However, just because an oil claims to be synthetic does not mean it is a good oil, just like an oil that claims to be Dino (non-synthetic) is not necessarily a bad oil.

If you want to do your own oil changes, my recommendation is to use Motul 5W30 it's a very good high performance oil perfect for turbo engines. Another great choice is Liqui-Moly. If you drive in a hot climate, don't hesitate to use 5W40.

I also thought it was non-sense. So for my first "free oil change," they stuck me with conventional oil. Thanks for the recommendations. I've typically used either Mobile 1 or AMSOIL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenesejedd View Post
I also thought it was non-sense. So for my first "free oil change," they stuck me with conventional oil. Thanks for the recommendations. I've typically used either Mobile 1 or AMSOIL
Mobil 1 is trash oil I strongly recommend against it. It runs on brand image/identity and nothing else. AMSoil is apparently good but I have heard bad things about it too. When you are choosing an oil look for one that is thick (turbo engines in particular like thicker oil as this protects and cools the turbo better) and additives specifically for DI motors is extremely important hence which is why I like those two oils I have mentioned. They are both incredibly resistant to fuel-shear/ breaking down and can be run for a long time while still protecting the engine.

As long as you use something decent and a sufficiently thick oil that is good enough. What's most important is to always ensure you change your oil on time. DI motors contaminate your engines oil supply with fuel, and this effect becomes more apparent if you drive city often. If you are primarily a highway driver you don't need to worry about frequent oil changes as much.

Cheers
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
I stopped by my dealer on Friday to pick up some touch up paint. While I was there, they did the Android Auto update and gave me a complementary oil change. I told them that I wanted them to use synthetic oil. The person in the Service Department who was helping me told me that the manufacturer stated that you should not use synthetic motor oil in the 2.5 Skyactive Turbo. I thought this was strange. She said she would follow up with the technicians as to why. I didn't have time to stick around for an answer, but she said she would call me this week with a thorough explanation.

Has anyone else heard or read this before? I have always used synthetic in my vehicles, so this sounded strange. Studies have shown that synthetic motor oil improves longevity.
Yeah, that's not true. Any engine that takes dino oil can take full synth (maybe except those old rotary engines) with no problems whatsoever. I don't think dino would hurt the SkyActive but Mazda recommends full synth so it's not worth saving a couple bucks twice a year going against their specs. Weird they would tell you that.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateweb View Post
Yeah, that's not true. Any engine that takes dino oil can take full synth (maybe except those old rotary engines) with no problems whatsoever. I don't think dino would hurt the SkyActive but Mazda recommends full synth so it's not worth saving a couple bucks twice a year going against their specs. Weird they would tell you that.

I don't have much confidence in the girl who was helping me. I mentioned that I like to change my own oil, and had purchased a filter from the parts counter. She told me that the car takes 0w20, so that when I do my own oil changes, that's what I should use. Then, after I left the dealership, I looked at the sticker they put on the window to remind me of my next oil change. The sticker said 5w20. So, I called her and asked about the discrepancy between what the sticker said and what she told me at the dealership. She checked with the service techs, and it turns out she was wrong, and the car does take 5w20.

She is supposed to call me today with clarification as to why I should NOT put synthetic. I'll report back what she tells me.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree. FWIW, rotary engines require dino because they rely on burning that oil in order to work properly. Synthetic oils are more resistant to oil consumption.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
She is supposed to call me today with clarification as to why I should NOT put synthetic. I'll report back what she tells me.
Her answer will be pretty interesting. I somehow doubt she's making extensive research and giving your call highest priority

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Her answer will be pretty interesting. I somehow doubt she's making extensive research and giving your call highest priority
It sure will be. I am very curious to hear what sort of ideas the dealership has explaining why customers should go directly against the manufacturers recommendation.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
The 2.5L Turbo calls for 5W-30. Period. The girl at the dealer is non informed. SAD

If you want to use the best oil for your 2.5L Turbo check the certifications. Getting an ACEA A3/B4 or C3 5W30 ensures you get better protection out of your 5W30 where it counts.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page