Mazda 6 Forums banner

2018 6 Signature - Transmission Service Interval?

10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  1BlinkGone 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2018 6 Signature and read through the owner's manual and there was no mention of checking the transmission fluid or any type of service interval.

Here in Arizona, it gets hot and the transmission fluid doesn't last as long as other areas. What does everyone else do for a service interval on their transmission? I'll ask the dealership what they recommend, but wanted to get the collective thoughts here, too.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know for sure but it is possible u have no dipstick for the ATF. If the transaxle is like a late model Toyota's (or a significant number of other mfrs' transmissions) the ATF level is determined with an ATF overflow weir tube. With the car being totally level within a narrow tolerance and the ATF temp within a narrow band of temps the correct ATF level is determined by evidence of a minor dribble/drops out of the weir tube. I go thru this description 'cuz oftentimes the Techs themselves screw this up! The car mfrs actually don't want the Techs doing this regularly for fear of screwup. Many A/T's these days are very sensitive to correct level. Of course the fluid should be dropped at interval - more frequently in hot locales like yours! Let's hear more forum comments... For your hot ambient I say i) u need a stacked plate aux cooler downstream of the rad ATF cooling coil and ii) i would drop the ATF at 30,000 mi. intervals.

#3 ·
The service manual for the 2014 - 2016 makes no reference to changing/checking the ATF levels, nor does it offer a specific service interval. I don't know if this is the same for the 2017+ models, but I would imagine it is.

Consensus on the forum is that you ought to change it around every 75k miles, though since you're in Arizona you may want to make that every 50k.

#4 ·
The ATF was/is designed to be a lifetime fill. There is no service required. It now becomes up to you to do what you are comfortable with.

ATM I have no plan to do anything with mine until at least 100K miles. (If we keep the car that long) It's a different World today folks. Parts and the fluids are not like they used to be. Maintenance schedules have changed.

Remember, the dealer makes money doing service and I'd bet you my last $ that if everyone askes their dealer when they should change the ATF fluid you will get a different answer. There will be a couple (I'm doubting) that will tell you every 30K, a few that will tell you 60K and a few that will tell you 100K. Then there will be those that will tell you it was/is designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and there's no reason to change it.

In the end you probably need to do what you feel comfortable with and if you want to spend the extra money to have it done.

To the OP: My temps are similar to yours. My last concern is that the temps are going to be any issues with the AT. I'll not get in to my reasons or experiences but you simply have no worries. When you hit 100K it might be something for you to consider.

#5 ·
I can attest to the stealership remarks. I asked a few different ones near me about this exact thing to see what answers I got. 1 told me it doesn't ever have to be changed, 1 told me 100k, and a third told me between 75 and 100k.

#6 ·
I change all the liquids in my vehicles at specific intervals. Brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid...all this stuff is subject to heat, cold, moisture, contaminants, and general wear and tear.

If it were my car, I lived in AZ (heat/dust,) and I planned on keeping it more than 3 or 4 years...I'd change the ATF at at least every 50k miles.

#10 ·
All I know is there are people here that know way more than the people that designed and built your car.

I suggest --blah-blah-blah give me a break already. It's just so sad to see so much misinformation from people that have no clue what is or isn't best for your car especially when they don't even practice what they preach.

If you have a good/trustworthy dealer, follow their advice.

#12 · (Edited)
All I know is there are people here that know way more than the people that designed and built your car.

I suggest --blah-blah-blah give me a break already. It's just so sad to see so much misinformation from people that have no clue what is or isn't best for your car...
I would venture to say that any Mazda powertrain engineer who planned to keep his/her vehicle for an extended period of time or mileage would indeed be dropping their ATF at 50 or 60,000 miles... seeing as almost all OEM ATF filtration systems are (necessarily coarse-media) through-filters - not (tight-media) bypass filters.

Mazda spec's lifetime fill because i) there's competition between mfr's to show low mtce req'ts; ii) ATF cleanliness is of paramount importance and there are many ham-fisted techs out there; and iii) running the correct ATF level is often 'real important (see ii) - diligence and skill comment).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.