The 2018 Mazda 6 Is Getting A Turbo! - Page 18 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

247Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that Toyota will have a stake in Mazda, I wonder if we will see the Toyota V6 in a future Mazda6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
Now that Toyota will have a stake in Mazda, I wonder if we will see the Toyota V6 in a future Mazda6.
Wow. I thought you were referring to their joint-venture that allowed Toyota to sell the Mazda 2 stateside, but then I saw this. Interesting that Toyota now has a 5% stake. Looks like they will be building a joint-use plant in the US to collaborate on a shared electric vehicle platform.
post #173 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
[QUOTE=Sydtron;4886033]Do they make a block heater for the 2.5L? Otherwise you can use the old diesel truck technique, piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. At least you FWD guys have your engine, transmission and differential all in the same spot - it's almost 10 miles of highway driving before my trans and rear diff fluids gets warmed up, you can see the FE climb once that happens.

Yes they make a block heater for the 2.5 and it gets used a lot, additionally below -15c the cardboard is installed in front of the rad also. The thermostat does work but reducing the cold air flowing through the engine compartment allows the heater to produce more. This year I will make a snorkel to draw air from the header area to the air box intake so it gets warmer air to improve mileage. Just not the same problems that southerners have.

North to South and back again.
You can never have too much light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to northzone For This Useful Post:
Sydtron (08-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
That's awesome, glad to see Mazda with plans for growth. And Mazda was supplying it's Mazda2 to Toyota as the Yaris iA even before this, so maybe there will be more sharing.

Though it seems to me a V6 will be even less likely than a 2.5t since fitting the V6 would likely cost even more in development and would not follow the trend of most auto makers.

2017 Mazda6 Deep Crystal Blue Touring w/ Bose/Moonroof and Premium Packages
post #175 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Once again, I hate to be a bubble burster, but no. Mazda has no plans whatsoever to release a 6 cylinder ever again.

Toyota will provide electrification and hybrid tech, a joint venture for manufacturing, and strategic partnerships with self driving and autonomous tech companies.

No V6. No 300hp turbos or rotary halo cars. No carbon fiber bodies, permanent AWD, dual clutch, etc etc. Sorry folks.
The Following User Says Thank You to oc cc For This Useful Post:
UNLTD1487 (08-04-2017)
post #176 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 46 Times in 39 Posts
The cars that I actually wanted were the Q50 or Lexus IS250 F sport, but those are way more expensive than a Mazda 6, so yeah, such is life, the mazda 6 is still good looking and if modded properly can look just as good as these cars.
post #177 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
The Mazda 6 looks way better to me in stock form than the Q50 or IS250F - no mods required.

Looks like we'll get a glimpse of Mazda's new design direction and HCCI engine later this year: Mazda3 Concept Reportedly Headed To Tokyo With An HCCI Engine. That should give us some good insight into what the next gen 6 has in store too.
post #178 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
So it sounds like michael95350 was correct. My dealer mentioned to me that he put in an order for 2017.5 6s. So looks like Mazda is running the same play as they did with the CX5. Probably should have seen this coming but was just too optimistic that Mazda may give us the Turbo. Oh well as Deepcrystal stated these are already great cars with great engineering. I love my 2016, so not really overly broken hearted. Will probably try to scare up a left-over 2017 Premium once the lease is up and keep it until the kids get out of college. Yes ladies and gents, these are third world problems.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
aneville11 and DeepCrystal17 like this.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #179 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ocramida, I'm surprised nobody's responded to your post. You've answered the key question we've been asking for months on this thread. My dealer also confirmed that there will be a 2017.5 model year. I've known about it for about a month now, and have seen a draft version of the order guide, but promised not to share it. Since dealers can't order the 2017 models anymore, it's a clear indication that the 2017.5s will be coming out shortly. They could arrive any day, but from what I've been told, Mazda Corporate is holding off on announcing/launching the 2017.5s until dealer inventories of the 2017 Mazda 6 are down to manageable levels. I'd expect the official announcement to come out sometime in late August to end of September.

Knowing that there will actually be a 2017.5 model year, and triangulating that against what's been happening in Mazda's product portfolio, allows us to infer a lot of useful insights:

1. Launching a 2017.5 this late in CY2017 says it's going to be a shortened model year (i.e., the 2018 model will likely come out (or at least be announced) in the first half of calendar 2018. Otherwise they would have just called this one a 2018 model. I suppose one could argue that they'll skip MY18 and go directly to announcing the 2019, but if that was going to be the case, again they could have called this one a 2018 model)

2. This is the last year of the current gen Mazda 6 body (i.e., if you want the gen 3 design, get one soon).

3. From the order guide I've seen, only minor changes are in store for 2017.5. It's essentially a carry over year with only a handful of feature updates at each trim level. I'm excited about the two key enhancements for the Touring spec, because they'll address the only two features I'd be giving up from my current daily driver. If you're not excited about the 2017.5 updates, you can get a great deal on a left-over 2017.

4. The next substantial upgrade to the 6 platform is likely coming in late spring or early next summer. Watch for heavy incentive discounts on 2017 and 2017.5 models for a telling clue that they're clearing the decks to launch the 2018s. I noticed Mazda increased the incentives on the 2017 6 about a month ago, and in retrospect, that was a telling clue that the 2017.5 was waiting in the wings.

Based on the news coming out of Japan, I'd speculate the next gen Mazda 3 to be launched next Spring, followed by the next gen 6 three to six months later. The 3 is a more important model for Mazda than the 6, so it would make sense for that to be the first model to get the new styling and drivetrain updates. The HCCI engine and design concept for the next 3 is rumored to be launched at the Tokyo Auto Show later this fall. That will give us even more clues about what to anticipate in the next gen 6.

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 08-07-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #180 of 1129 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
So it sounds like michael95350 was correct. My dealer mentioned to me that he put in an order for 2017.5 6s. So looks like Mazda is running the same play as they did with the CX5. Probably should have seen this coming but was just too optimistic that Mazda may give us the Turbo. Oh well as Deepcrystal stated these are already great cars with great engineering. I love my 2016, so not really overly broken hearted. Will probably try to scare up a left-over 2017 Premium once the lease is up and keep it until the kids get out of college. Yes ladies and gents, these are third world problems.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
This doesn't make sense. The 2016.5 CX-5 was announced in December 2015. Why release a 2017.5 model year 2/3rds of the way through 2017? Why not call it a short 2018 MY and release the next gen as a 2019 MY in April/May 2018? IIRC Ford released the 3rd gen Focus as a 2012 model in March 2011. It was a very long 2012 model year.

This is further shooting the 6 in the foot. Buyers are going to see the "7" in 2017.5 and think "Oh I don't want a leftover model, I want a brand new 2018" regardless of the car's production date.

2017 Mazda6 Deep Crystal Blue Touring w/ Bose/Moonroof and Premium Packages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page