Aftermarket 2.5L headers installed - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aftermarket 2.5L headers installed

Finally got these aftermarket headers installed and wow. I just wanted to share my impression after a week of driving.

Header: looks like stock design minus the cat. It is ceramic coated made of steel? Piping size measured OD 1 3/4" x 2" x 2 1/2.

Installation: The not so fun part. The oem Header is located on the backside of the engine next to the firewall. It's a pita to remove. There is physically no room to remove the stock header d/t the build in cat. I wrestled with it for quite some time, even had to partially drop the subframe and still no way. Eventually got fed up and chopped it in half with a zawsaw as I needed my car for work. the aftermarket header itself is easy to slide in. 7/10 difficulty.

Sound: loud on cold start up but mellows out once car is warm. I'm running tanabe axle back exhaust and k&n drop in filter. the primary cat still retained. While coasting it's barely noticeable. However with full throttle the car no longer sounds like a 4 banger. It has a nice deep sound with no drone at all. Not extremely loud like cars with deleted cat. Love the way it sounds now.

Impression: The difference is literally night and day. The car feels like a different animal. In its original state the car is slow af. Mazda locked up all its power. For me 2nd and 3rd gear was by far the worse. The wife's 16' cx-5 feels so much more responsive and torque-kier probably a different tune file. Note: I have an ATX tranny as well. GT model.

I did several pulls since the install both in auto and manual shift mode. I'm very impressed with the throttle response. Once I blip the throttle I can instantly feel the torque and the car doesn't struggle to take off. Before there was always a delay around 2-3k rpm then more delay towards the end of the gear. which was very annoying imo. Initially 2nd gear pull still felt a tad bit underwhelming but once the header settled, its starting to feel like real nice constant pull. 3rd gear is where I notice the most torque kick. It literally has me at the edge of my seat. Reaching 80mph feels so much faster I have to check myself sometimes to make sure I'm not speeding.The car is actually fun to drive now. At the time of testing I was running on 87 octane in California heat wave. With A proper tune I can see major gains.

CEL threw code p0421 cat malfunction. I already ordered a non-fouler for the 02 sensor. Will see if it helps. For now I have to clear the code during cold start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Hero View Post
Finally got these aftermarket headers installed and wow. I just wanted to share my impression after a week of driving.

Header: looks like stock design minus the cat. It is ceramic coated made of steel? Piping size measured OD 1 3/4" x 2" x 2 1/2.

Installation: The not so fun part. The oem Header is located on the backside of the engine next to the firewall. It's a pita to remove. There is physically no room to remove the stock header d/t the build in cat. I wrestled with it for quite some time, even had to partially drop the subframe and still no way. Eventually got fed up and chopped it in half with a zawsaw as I needed my car for work. the aftermarket header itself is easy to slide in. 7/10 difficulty.

Sound: loud on cold start up but mellows out once car is warm. I'm running tanabe axle back exhaust and k&n drop in filter. the primary cat still retained. While coasting it's barely noticeable. However with full throttle the car no longer sounds like a 4 banger. It has a nice deep sound with no drone at all. Not extremely loud like cars with deleted cat. Love the way it sounds now.

Impression: The difference is literally night and day. The car feels like a different animal. In its original state the car is slow af. Mazda locked up all its power. For me 2nd and 3rd gear was by far the worse. The wife's 16' cx-5 feels so much more responsive and torque-kier probably a different tune file. Note: I have an ATX tranny as well. GT model.

I did several pulls since the install both in auto and manual shift mode. I'm very impressed with the throttle response. Once I blip the throttle I can instantly feel the torque and the car doesn't struggle to take off. Before there was always a delay around 2-3k rpm then more delay towards the end of the gear. which was very annoying imo. Initially 2nd gear pull still felt a tad bit underwhelming but once the header settled, its starting to feel like real nice constant pull. 3rd gear is where I notice the most torque kick. It literally has me at the edge of my seat. Reaching 80mph feels so much faster I have to check myself sometimes to make sure I'm not speeding.The car is actually fun to drive now. At the time of testing I was running on 87 octane in California heat wave. With A proper tune I can see major gains.

CEL threw code p0421 cat malfunction. I already ordered a non-fouler for the 02 sensor. Will see if it helps. For now I have to clear the code during cold start.

You literally cut your OEM Header off?! That's not very assuring lol Well I guess when you get to that being the only option other than dropping the whole damn motor it seems like a good idea. what company even makes an aftermarket Header for the 3rd Gen M6 & How much did that put you back?

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza85 View Post
You literally cut your OEM Header off?! That's not very assuring lol Well I guess when you get to that being the only option other than dropping the whole damn motor it seems like a good idea. what company even makes an aftermarket Header for the 3rd Gen M6 & How much did that put you back?

Even in the service manual the instruction were to drop the subframe. With another set of hands you might be able to squeeze it out. I had no help at the time. It set me back a little over $800 due to high cost of freight shipping. However I used the money refunded from OVT for the camshaft ordered last year which never came through. I might end up paying for their ecu tune sooner or later anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Damn $800 for a set of headers! Crazy! I think with the OVT it would make decent gain especially if you have the rest of the exhaust upgraded & intake.
What company makes this Exhaust Header? Link?

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
$800 for a beautiful header like that is totally reasonable. looks good!

headers without a proper catless tune = big no-no. bad idea. I would recommend getting an OVT tune to unlock the full potential.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza85 View Post
Damn $800 for a set of headers! Crazy! I think with the OVT it would make decent gain especially if you have the rest of the exhaust upgraded & intake.
What company makes this Exhaust Header? Link?

RES exhaust is the company here's the link. They specialize in exhaust system. http://www.res-exhaust.com/

Yeah price is a bit steep. But the way I broke it down. I paid $899 for OVT camshaft that they never made, I got refunded for. Then theirs the ecu tune $599 plus components + tactrix + epifan. Oh and i currently don't own a laptop. I also did not factor in the cost of installation of the camshaft yet either.

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
RES exhaust is the company here's the link. They specialize in exhaust system. RES Exhaust High Performance Exhaust System Where to buy exhaust Exhaust shop RES Exhaust price RES exhaust factory RES distributor

Yeah price is a bit steep. But the way I broke it down. I paid $899 for OVT camshaft that they never made, I got refunded for. Then theirs the ecu tune $599 plus components + tactrix + epifan. Oh and i currently don't own a laptop. I also did not factor in the cost of installation of the camshaft yet either.

You have an ECU tune and the CEL still went on?
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
You have an ECU tune and the CEL still went on?
No tune yet. That's in the works.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
No tune yet. That's in the works.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
ah, you'll notice good power gains after an appropriate tune. Fuel economy should improve considerably as well. See if you can delete out the cold start, not needed if you are catless.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
I've seen it a few times now, should have checked on Taobao first, It's half the price, throw in another 100 bucks or so for shipping still cheaper.. Let us know how it goes, I may buy one still holding out to hear what CorkSport has to say on their Turbo kit they say is still being worked on as of yesterday.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=537974904259
kufliclicks likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MadStyle; 07-26-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page