LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Oil check

So I feel dumb for asking this but do you guys get different reading on the your oil dip stick? One side shows oil is low but between the two holes, the other side will show oil much higher. 0_o

Zoom Zoom: 2014 MT blue/sand touring

Whats my stress reliever? PAINTBALL-duh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One can never out pace crazy and one can never beat stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 774 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2833 Post(s)
Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,837 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
There was a thread about this a few years ago - the dip sticks aren't the best in the world and I'll agree that mine doesn't always show the level appropriately. Regardless, however, I've mad it a habit for all cars to check it twice to be certain.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best is to check it hot, after the engine has been allowed to sit for five minutes, so all the oil has a chance to drain down into the sump. Also, make sure it’s on level ground. It helps to check it in the same location (ie in your garage) for consistency.

Pull the stick, wipe it clean, re-insert it, and then check.

I know what you mean about one side seeming to have more oil on it than the other. A lot of cars are like this. I’m not sure why. But, it should be pretty evident which side is showing you the actual depth of oil in the sump. If you check the level fairly frequently - every few weeks or 1000 miles, and you’re not seeing clouds of blue smoke or a puddle of oil on the ground - it shouldn’t vary too much from one time to another.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring...gone but not forgotten.
Hopefully, some new owner is driving the wheels off her right now! They got a good one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Groans: 2
I find that i can only check the oil accurately (i.e. see a distinct oil level line) when the car is cold. Never had a car with such a hard to read dipstick. NP though... just compensate a 'wee bit... allowing for thermal expansion when at op temp vs. cold. Having said all of this... I am thankful the car actually HAS a dipstick lol. Thinking here of BMW's.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I just thought it was odd the dip stick is so tricky. I know these cars go through some oil but thought it would last a bit longer. Do most add oil or just change when low?

Zoom Zoom: 2014 MT blue/sand touring

Whats my stress reliever? PAINTBALL-duh

One can never out pace crazy and one can never beat stupid.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobouncecap View Post
Yeah, I just thought it was odd the dip stick is so tricky. I know these cars go through some oil but thought it would last a bit longer. Do most add oil or just change when low?
I thought most folks were not using any oil?

I go through about a quart every 5000 miles - which is within specs. I add oil to keep it between 3/4 and full. I also run a 5000 mile OCI.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring...gone but not forgotten.
Hopefully, some new owner is driving the wheels off her right now! They got a good one.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
[QUOTE=jcme0557;4938865]I thought most folks were not using any oil?

I go through about a quart every 5000 miles - which is within specs. I add oil to keep it between 3/4 and full. I also run a 5000 mile OCI.[/QUOTE

My 2016 Sport MT, uses very little (0-20W Mazda oil). The oil change interval is around 7500 miles (+1000 miles sometimes) and it is about the 1/2--2/3 mark on the dipstisck. I always measure it after the car is parked in the garage.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
I run 7500 miles and have yet to need to add any during an OCI; the "fill" puts me in the upper half of the stick's "ok" range, and while it drops a bit during the 7,500 miles it's typically still around halfway between the marks or a bit below that by the time I change it.

I have also run multiple UOAs since buying the car and have yet to have any measurable amount of fuel dilution show up.
The Following User Says Thank You to tickerguy For This Useful Post:
nobouncecap (01-07-2018)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My issue is the handbook says to replace old oil with 4.5 l of new oil when filter is also fitted (on a 2013 2.5 l. skyactive petrol). However the mechanics keep overfilling it with up to 5.5 litres. They argue the recommended filling is not enough. Who is right?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
If, on an engine that hasn't been run for 20 minutes or more (it has all drained back) the car is level, and the oil is between "add" and "full" marks on the stick then it's fine.

Many engines consume meaningfully more oil (due to windage, mostly) if near (or especially over) the full mark; as such aiming for "full" often is actually counter-productive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page