LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer sometime to be checked as the new plug seem to not have affected anything. Just gonna swap the transmission oil first so they dont say the bad mileage is because it is brownish and charge me a change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Really?!? 30mpg? I've never gotten over 27mpg in my 04 MTX V6 wagon. I'm beginning to wonder if it's my wider rx8s. I never got much better with the skinnier 17s. Are you using high octane?
I'm with you. My best is 27mpg (26.8) On flat road, 70 mph, A/C off, windows closed, cool still day at about 100ft altitude in my 20004 v6 Automatic. with 2 occupants total.
I am on a 215/50ZR17 (32psi).
Trip distance about 80 miles with cruise control on.

At 100% city I get about 12mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzorch View Post
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer sometime to be checked as the new plug seem to not have affected anything. Just gonna swap the transmission oil first so they dont say the bad mileage is because it is brownish and charge me a change.
It would be interesting to see what your throttle position is at constant cruising flat. Maybe that would tell us if you are having to put more into it to keep going (exhaust restriction, transmission etc...)
That data can be found in your OBD2 log.

Modifications:

The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
liquidzorch (10-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
It would be interesting to see what your throttle position is at constant cruising flat. Maybe that would tell us if you are having to put more into it to keep going (exhaust restriction, transmission etc...)
That data can be found in your OBD2 log.
Well on my way back from work is almost all downhill, very suddle, but enough to cruise 3 miles without having to press the gas pedal. Even less resistance than my last car that would slow down while cruising. So that rules out anything slowing down the wheels. I will try to record my throttle position with my obd2 adaptor. This throttle os the first electronical one I have owned, so I dont know if obd will record actual trottle position or my foot position.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Well on my way back from work is almost all downhill, very suddle, but enough to cruise 3 miles without having to press the gas pedal. Even less resistance than my last car that would slow down while cruising. So that rules out anything slowing down the wheels. I will try to record my throttle position with my obd2 adaptor. This throttle os the first electronical one I have owned, so I dont know if obd will record actual trottle position or my foot position.
I believe it is a percentage of max that comes from the potentiometer (throttle position sensor) and is based on foot position. It should give you temps and airflow as well.

When you pull (and post) a log generally Idle and 2500 rpm are your test points.
Some other bits that may be helpful are LTFT and O2 voltages to see if you cats are clogging.
(another way top check that would be to pull you upstream O2 sensor out for a short drive and see if there is a power change.)

did you check your air filter? probably but ut came to mind and I cant remember if you stated that.

Modifications:

liquidzorch (10-28-2017)
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
I believe it is a percentage of max that comes from the potentiometer (throttle position sensor) and is based on foot position. It should give you temps and airflow as well.

When you pull (and post) a log generally Idle and 2500 rpm are your test points.
Some other bits that may be helpful are LTFT and O2 voltages to see if you cats are clogging.
(another way top check that would be to pull you upstream O2 sensor out for a short drive and see if there is a power change.)

did you check your air filter? probably but ut came to mind and I cant remember if you stated that.
I did change the air filter. So far I have done a full service, everything except an injector cleaning, I unmounted them and they looked very clean, the spray holes did not look dirty, but I might still get them done just incase.

Here is a log from torque pro. It is my first time logging, I normally just look at live data on my phone. For some reason the O2 volts did not show, and the LTFT is high, but when I looked at live data a few days ago LTFT stayed around 0 at idle, and moved very little while driving. I will do more tests to see wich LTFT is correct, if this one is correct then Theres the extra gas. My last car (lancer 2004) would always be in negative LTFT (I guess from being at a medium high altitude, less oxygen). If it was a vaccum leak the LTFT should go down while opening throttle, which does not seem to happen in the log. What could cause this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B39...ew?usp=sharing
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I bought some MAF sensor cleaner and cleaned the MAF. The readings are still the same, high LTFT during idle, driving and reving. Between +15% and +20%, theres my missing fuel! I cant believe I did not see this earlier. The live data I was looking at the first days, had the LTFT at 0% so I thought it was good, but the live data for some reason was not correct.

I do no think it is a clogged cat, since intake vacuum does not decrease while idling at 2500, stays stable at 18, and rises a little when I let my foot off, then stablizes. From what I have researched a clogged cat would make the vacuum drop while at 2500rpm.

I think I will start with removing the injectors this week and take them for a cleaning. Any other ideas?
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 01:55 AM
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
I bought some MAF sensor cleaner and cleaned the MAF. The readings are still the same, high LTFT during idle, driving and reving. Between +15% and +20%, theres my missing fuel! I cant believe I did not see this earlier. The live data I was looking at the first days, had the LTFT at 0% so I thought it was good, but the live data for some reason was not correct.

I do no think it is a clogged cat, since intake vacuum does not decrease while idling at 2500, stays stable at 18, and rises a little when I let my foot off, then stablizes. From what I have researched a clogged cat would make the vacuum drop while at 2500rpm.

I think I will start with removing the injectors this week and take them for a cleaning. Any other ideas?
Your logs did show +17 ish on the fuel trims.
Just an FYI. When my cat was clogged I did not show the expected vacuum change and I also had a high LTFT. A notable difference was I am running a v6 and one bank was not as bad and possible carried the other to some extent.

You could pull that upstream O2 sensor and see how it drives.

Good Luck.

Modifications:

liquidzorch (10-30-2017)
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Ok I will try to find an O2 sensor socket, this car has a rim around it that wont let me get to it with my normal wrench.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I finally got around to removing the O2 sensor. I noticed no gain in performace, and I could not find a single mechanic who had a low psi pressure gauge to connect and test back pressure. Every mechanic said to diagnose a cat problem they will simply change it since it is more than 2 years old and no need to test them. I cant believe people listen to theese guys.

Any way, I was hoping on seeing a dark o2 sensor, confirming a rich mixture, but it seemed pretty clean. I still am in doubt about what it could be, if anything is wrong at all. Checking with other people here they get better mpg, and drive harder than I with more stop and go driving.

Any ways, I got the LTFT down by 4%, a injector oring was old and causing a vacuum leak, so I changed them all, and sent them to be cleaned and tested. Didnt help my fuel consuption. Now I have sprayed every vacuum line with carb cleaner and no change in idle or STFT, so I dont seem to have any vacuum leak and I am still running an average of +10% LTFT at idle and during acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page