OVTune Mazda 6 2.5L SS 4-2-1 Header GB - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
@OrangeVirus Tuning - What about cars with CARB engines? We know that there were tuning issues with them earlier, have those been addressed and will that impact the tuning for headers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
I'm confused as to how it could actually flow that much better than the OE manifold. I remember watching videos on the Skyactiv and there was a lot of thought put into the tube lengths and such.
Most of the gains from the header alone are probably the removal of the cat, which restricts flow and the tight bends to accommodate it. Also manufacturing methods to make an affordable header will have some small affect on flow over a nice mandrel bent unit.

I would want to know performance gains of a catted version before buying one for those that are interested in one, of course I'm not expecting OVT to go through the hassle of CARB cert so I'll never get it anyways. :-(

I'm counting the years to 7 to swap the factory main cat for a lighter high flow unit.

Oh well, I can still spin my tires anywhere in first gear so it isn't like it's gutless as is. I finally got my tune update, hopefully there is a little extra pep there too. And maybe a lightweight flywheel, some lighter wheels, carbon fiber hood...my electric guitar hobby is coming back with a vengeance and giving me some serious GAS, so I don't know how far I'll every get with my car wishes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aachoo View Post
@OrangeVirus Tuning - What about cars with CARB engines? We know that there were tuning issues with them earlier, have those been addressed and will that impact the tuning for headers?
The only issue earlier was AFR Ratio's weren't editable. OVT has figured that out.

The real problem is do you feel like swapping headers every time you get an emissions test/inspection, when those days come? Headers are bolt on bolt off, but that sounds like too much work to me. I'm already going to have to swap intakes when that time comes.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar365 View Post
The only issue earlier was AFR Ratio's weren't editable. OVT has figured that out.

The real problem is do you feel like swapping headers every time you get an emissions test/inspection, when those days come? Headers are bolt on bolt off, but that sounds like too much work to me. I'm already going to have to swap intakes when that time comes.

Is it true that CA is now a visual inspection state? I didnt think it was but my mechanic told me it just became one.... If so, when i take mine in for a smog in 2020, if i "knew someone" could they pass it even with the headers on there?
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
I believe OBDII cars need to pass a 'readiness' test (OBDII plugged in to verify no CEL or disabled sensors) and a visual. OBDI and older (except the 25 year? law) have to do the sniffer.

Your car should be good for 5 years before mandatory smog check (see, ~$200 smog abatement fee on reg.) when purchased new... unless you're in Elk Grove (norcal) or Garden Grove/Fullerton/Anaheim (SoCal), they usually don't have the rolling dyno traps.

But.. it's been about a year since I've lived in CA.
Mason1019 likes this.
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
In california, cars made 2000 and later are required to pass visual and the readiness test (sans CEL's). Cars made 1999 and earlier need to pass the aforementioned tests PLUS the sniffer test. This law passed early 2015, IIRC.

I'm almost positive that this header will not cause you to fail SMOG. Passing visual is a breeze and a missing pre-cat will most likely go unnoticed. Reason why I say that is because my 2000 Miata has a deleted pre-cat (I swapped in a 2003 Miata exhaust manifold to get rid of the ticking time-bomb of a pre-cat that was installed on 1999-2000 Miatas). My 2000 Miata is also missing a heat shield, so the inspector looked straight down the manifold and downpipe and checked off the "pass" box.

If it weren't for the $700 price tag and the fact that I already have OVT's tune, I think I'd jump on this.

Maybe offer additional discounts for members that have already received the tune? Then again, what reason does OVT have to lower prices? They have our niche market in a corner. We're essentially helpless...
post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousbob View Post
In california, cars made 2000 and later are required to pass visual and the readiness test (sans CEL's). Cars made 1999 and earlier need to pass the aforementioned tests PLUS the sniffer test. This law passed early 2015, IIRC.

I'm almost positive that this header will not cause you to fail SMOG. Passing visual is a breeze and a missing pre-cat will most likely go unnoticed. Reason why I say that is because my 2000 Miata has a deleted pre-cat (I swapped in a 2003 Miata exhaust manifold to get rid of the ticking time-bomb of a pre-cat that was installed on 1999-2000 Miatas). My 2000 Miata is also missing a heat shield, so the inspector looked straight down the manifold and downpipe and checked off the "pass" box.

If it weren't for the $700 price tag and the fact that I already have OVT's tune, I think I'd jump on this.

Maybe offer additional discounts for members that have already received the tune? Then again, what reason does OVT have to lower prices? They have our niche market in a corner. We're essentially helpless...
No matter what the price, I won't even consider it until I see a tune only dyno vs tune+header dyno. Might consider if there is roughly 20HP gain.
furiousbob likes this.
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar365 View Post
Most of the gains from the header alone are probably the removal of the cat, which restricts flow and the tight bends to accommodate it.
That was my first assumption as well.

14 Mazda6 White Touring MTX
17 Dodge Durango
98 Ford Expedition
84 Porsche 944 Chumpcar Endurance Race Car

post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Matt, any updates on this? Looking to do this soon and want to see if there are any updates
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I am interested in this GB also, but I would definitely need to know more about sound levels and whether I have to pay the full $699 if I already bought the tune. At $699 on top of the tune, it's making me think really hard about whether I *need* additional power.

Current: 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 6 Touring, 2012 Mazda 3 Touring Sold: 2004 Mazda 6s V6 5-door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page