Is the Orange Virus Tune worth it? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Tickerguy, are you modified or stock/did you specifically ask for the low-mid range torque? If you are stock, then that's where I start to think my tune is a bit of a dud compared to others. The 2000-4000 is where I feel like I actually lose thrust versus the stock tune. The torque bump at 3000 is absent with my tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
You feel a difference, never tried 91/94 octane because the 3-5 HP gain isn't worth the extra cost?
To me, absolutely. The engine response just feels a little peakier up top, and the engine doesn't protest or bog when it gets hot and humid. The torque shove around 3000-4000 is lost on 87 in humid air, but remains when i am on 93. Also gets marginally better gas mileage in my opinion, presumably due to running a bit leaner/needing less throttle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Mazda6 Sport with 6-speed
- Koni Sport Dampers with H&R Springs
- Morimoto 4500k HIDs
2001 Miata Project (blown engine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thats weird 2k-4k rpm mine moves way better than stock as it tries to torque steer abit. Hell it will do a burnout in all of first gear now where before it would just laugh and "groan" along. All stock btw and this was only on the 2nd tune. Texas heat isnt good to high performance here either but this car does seem to feel more consistent.

2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Touring 6mt tuned for 93 and all I can say is that 2nd gear pulls are fun. The tune has really waken up 2nd and 3rd gear for me but I feel as if the car wouldn't go up to 100mph as quickly as used to. I had a problem with the last couple flashes OVT sent me, the electric throttle wouldn't detect 100% Gclub goldenslot
goldenslot ผ่านเว็บ
goldenslot บนมือถือ

Last edited by theking01; 02-15-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbru View Post
Tickerguy, are you modified or stock/did you specifically ask for the low-mid range torque? If you are stock, then that's where I start to think my tune is a bit of a dud compared to others. The 2000-4000 is where I feel like I actually lose thrust versus the stock tune. The torque bump at 3000 is absent with my tune.
I am stock, both airbox and exhaust, and have multiple pulls that show a very pronounced lift in torque in the 2-4.5k RPM range. It's not subtle at all.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, from all of the replies thus far, is it possible to get good pulls from 1st and 2nd gear while still getting an overall "faster" pull from the rest of the gears? I don't want to be fast from 0-50mph and then have it dramatically drop off after that.

It seems the consensus is that the Orange Virus tune is good for low gears but once you hit 3rd or 4th gear, it's completely empty. Does this sound accurate or are there people who just overall have an increase of power in all gears?
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by btp589 View Post
So, from all of the replies thus far, is it possible to get good pulls from 1st and 2nd gear while still getting an overall "faster" pull from the rest of the gears? I don't want to be fast from 0-50mph and then have it dramatically drop off after that.

It seems the consensus is that the Orange Virus tune is good for low gears but once you hit 3rd or 4th gear, it's completely empty. Does this sound accurate or are there people who just overall have an increase of power in all gears?
In my experience, the tune was good for in increase in all gears. Like tickerguy mentioned, the most noticeable increase was from 2k - 4k RPMs. I haven't noticed any drop off in horsepower/torque.

The tune isn't going to give you a monstrous increase in power, but it's definitely noticeable. My tires will spin in first gear now if I launch it from a stop.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Plus, it also depends on what you tell OVT you want out of the tune. I asked for mine to focus on low end torque and improve all-around driveability. (I have a 2015 automatic and am stock except for an AEM panel filter, running (and happy with) an 87 tune right now). But you can give him different criteria that you are looking for from a tune.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkrz View Post
Plus, it also depends on what you tell OVT you want out of the tune. I asked for mine to focus on low end torque and improve all-around driveability. (I have a 2015 automatic and am stock except for an AEM panel filter, running (and happy with) an 87 tune right now). But you can give him different criteria that you are looking for from a tune.
@richkrz, nice! Good to know. Also, I wanted to do an AEM drop in filter as well. Do you notice any more sound or any performance improvements at all? I'm sure it's so little that it cannot be perceived, but just thought I'd ask.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
The engine revs more freely with the AEM panel filter. Very small sound increase, but I wasn't looking for that. It's definitely worth the cost of the filter.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Great, thanks for all of your feedback. I really want this tune just to get a little more out of the 2.5L engine, but I may wait a little bit now.
mcbru likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page