Mazda 6 Forums banner

OrangeVirus Tuning E85 Skyactiv Tuning thread

23K views 53 replies 13 participants last post by  chutoyy 
#1 ·
As requested, A thread dedicated to E85 mixture tuning for the Mazda 6 Sky-G

I will be updating this post soon with more relevant information.

#5 · (Edited)
@OrangeVirus Tuning, question re: Mixing guidelines:
"Fill up once you have reached the "gas light icon" on the dash."
How imperitive is this? I have a station near one work location but they are not extremely close in Raleigh. So could I technically fill up once getting low (like 1/4 tank left?) knowing I won't be back in area?

"Fill up at the same station every time"
Is this for tuning process only? Or recommended the entire time? It sounds extremely limiting to have to fill up at only 1 station, in addition to filling up only when gas light comes on...what do people do if traveling or simply in another area of town when time to find an E85 station to fill up at (which sounds like it could be difficult enough depending on availability)?

#6 ·
I never saw him saying you have to fill up at the same station every time. He just said fill up E85 and 91+ at the same gas station, just so you understand that filling up 4 gallons of E85 at one station and then driving half a mile down the road to fill up 91 at your favorite gas station cannot be done! You have to fill both at same station so the mix is proper right away.

#10 ·
Do I just email you to take advantage of the 'free tune?'

Also, are there any benefits running mixed e85 (more power, less MPG?)? There's only a single station (not very close) in my area and some other guys state that the blend varies from e70-e85 at that station... However, I fill my WRX up there and now carry gas cans of e85 around. :[

Also, does that mean there's potential for running E85 full time on the 6?

#11 · (Edited)
I've already got several folks (more than initially thought) so I guess you can say "we're booked". but we will let everyone know when it will be available for everyone else. I know we only had the offer open for a few days, but we had several folks jump on the opportunity.

There may be a possibility of full time E85. That's something we plan on doing testing for soon.

E85 mixtures allow for a very large increase in octane rating of the fuel, along with a very large decrease / protection from knock / detonation from ignition timing. Which means more power.

Right now nobody has been tuned to MBT. Every tune is "knock limited" due to the very high compression ratio. The more octane we get, the closer we can get to MBT, and make more power.
Along with all the other benefits of E85, we're expecting to see very large jumps in performance compared to the standard 93 octane tune.
Compared to stock, We are expecting around 50HP/70lbs TQ increase at the wheels with a 4 gallon mixture. I know that sounds very aggressive, but stock is so severely detuned and these engines have "everything" you need for a 220+WHP N/A engine (minus an aggressive cam)

#23 ·
I can't wait to see some videos with this tune, as well as some dyno logs

#24 ·
I've contacted COBB in Socal to use their dyno for a few pulls after this tune is done to see the net results. With just the base file from OVT I notice it's a lot more resistant to higher temps and its runs smoother. Putting some miles on it and the I will log the 1st log and send it in.

#26 ·
So far this tune is far better than the 91 octane tune. Hotter weather doesn't really affect the car much, there is a lot more usable torque, and mileage isn't down more than 2mpg or so. I will be doing a dyno session when the tune is completed and I've put some miles on it to fully adjust.

#28 ·
I'm slacking off with the car, I haven't put 100 miles yet with the E85 tune so too early to data-log. Been extremely busy with house renovation and working from home office. By my initial thought is same as what Matt said, these engines love E85. I don't feel too much power difference per se but overall car seem to breath easier and is much more rev happy.

#29 ·
I see E85 being a big ass torque boost from 3-5K rpm, and additionally making the engine somewhat indifferent to temps depending on the % of E85.

Shouldn't have too much impact on high rpm HP, which is more flow dependent than spark dependent.

#32 ·
our E85 Sky-G tuning is now live! just from the data we are seeing, these engines love ethanol. Even more power and torque, and no heat soak power loss.

What's even better? These ECU's adaptive timing and fuel logic makes tuning and fueling for it simple.

We will offer tuning for mixes from 1 gallon to half a tank mixture.
So far recorded MPG loss is only down 2-3 MPG on 4 gallons of mixture.
throttle response, fuel trims, AFR, ignition is all perfect.
Fuel pump duty and Fueling pulse is still well within the safety margins.

Here is the link for the E85 mix Remap:

For all folks who participated with us through this big group buy, we want to give you a code for a discount on the map. Use the code : MZ6ClubE85 for $25.00 off. Please understand this is a new Remap, and not a simple update, as many maps have to b adjusted and recalibrated to suit the Ethanol content.

Mazda Skyactiv Ethanol Performance Calibration Upgrade (2.0L-2.5L All ? OrangeVirus Tuning

#34 ·
For anyone who has a E85 mix tune, you can change your mixture amount and just let us know, we will recalibrate accordingly.

however we won't make you every mixture map (like 1 gal, 2 gal, 3 gal) that would require ordering.

We will provide 2 differnt mixture maps with our E85 Calibration. (for anyone)

#39 ·
Hmm.. ok. I'll figure something out since I have to drive 60mi for e85 on my WRX anyway :p

How long is the coupon code good for?
I was thinking about buying el cheapo windows 8 tablet and keep it in the car just for the purpose of reflashing to 93 if I ever take a trip somewhere and can't find E85. But it's such a headache with having to re-register epifan + only being able to use it on single device means I would have to do all future logging on that device. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.