Pros and cons of the 2.5L engine vs. 3.7 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pros and cons of the 2.5L engine vs. 3.7

Hi all, newbie here and looking to buy a 2nd gen Mazda6. How are the 2.5L engines as far as reliability. Any common problems with these? How about the intake gaskets and any certain mileage that these are likely to go to pot? Trying to decide which engine to go with and unsure at this point. I drive mostly highway miles about 30 miles one way to work. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Groans: 45
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
3.7 has great torque. 6 speed auto keeps the mpg reasonable for highway driving. The only real maintenance item aside from basic oil changes and fluid checks are the spark plugs at 100k. This engine can go x00,000 miles reliably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Mazda 6s GT - Rotora BBK, KSport coilovers, 19" TSW, Injen CAI, Addco RSB, AWR rmm |
2012 Genesis Coupe Turbo
- 2012 Hyundai Coupe 2.0T - ARK, DEPO, HKS, RMR, Prodigy, Sequence, SFR, Stillen, TXS, Varrstoen |

Plasti dip is for tool handles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi 2.5L are very efficient and trouble free engines you can easily get 300000 miles on it with a proper maintenance. The engine is noisy and sometimes you fill like at low RPM there is not enough tork to move the weight of thw car so you have to push the gas . But all in all it's good engine. And it has timing chain which is maintenance free i guess. If you are getting an auto tranny then it has 5 speeds with automatic overdrive doing a descent job , the manual one comes with 6 speed and is very fun to drive

Guys feel free to correct me or add anything i might forget
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the 2.5 in my '09. I feel it does a decent enough job, especially around town, and gets good gas mileage. I recently took mine on a 1000 mile round trip journey on the interstate and the engine has 117k miles on the clock. Reliability has not been a problem and it doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil. My only gripe is the 3,000 rpm's it runs at highway speeds (80ish), seems a bit high for an overdrive transmission. It really could use another gear in the tranny.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinaLynn View Post
Hi all, newbie here and looking to buy a 2nd gen Mazda6. How are the 2.5L engines as far as reliability. Any common problems with these? How about the intake gaskets and any certain mileage that these are likely to go to pot? Trying to decide which engine to go with and unsure at this point. I drive mostly highway miles about 30 miles one way to work. Thanks in advance!
Its the usual things that are different , both basically Ford engines in Mazda tune. 3.7 effortlessly moves the car, but in the real world uses more gas. The 2.5 takes a little more time to get going , but when maintained gets really good gas mileage. Its a personal thing. Test drive both , get the one you like. And maybe you mean head gaskets , intake gaskets are not an issue. These cars are not known as head gasket eaters. Thanks Oldvet
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
25K mostly city miles on our 2011 bought new. Extremely reliable. We change the oil with Mobil 1 Synthetic every 5000 miles with OEM filter and crush ring. My only gripe with the 5 speed manumatic, which I shift manually a lot, is that between about 25 and 30 mph it will not shift down to 1st on it's own. If you stomp the gas at 18 mph, it shifts down and takes off impressively. Same thing at 30+ mph. But if your are between low 20's and 30 mph it's kind of dead because it won't shift down. I finally found the trick. If you are going 25 mph and you want to take off you have to 1. Shift it into manual mode, 2. Shift it into 1st while flooring it, 3. shift it back to Auto very quickly before you hit redline as the upshifts are best handled by the computer. I'm 54 years old btw, not a kid racer. I just couldn't figure out why it won't get out of it's own way between mid 20's and 30 mph.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Learners License

The four has great fuel mileage; this summer I was getting 37.5 MPG, 2.5 with the stick. And I agree that the engine is running too many revs on the highway. Mazda along with other car makers wanted their auto trans equipped cars to have better fuel economy than the manual equipped cars, so they install a higher numeric final drive ratio in the manual trans equipped cars than they have in the cars with automatics.

My man. trans 2.5 runs 3000 RPM at 75MPH, an automatic I drove on the same route was running at 2700 RPM at 75MPH. They are in essence cheating those of us who prefer to shift for ourselves.

The other thing I noticed about this four as compared to the four in Honda’s; the Mazda four sounds like a four, meaning it is course and rough especially at low RPM’s, where Honda’s are always smooth as silk at all times. The Mazda never lets one forget they chose a four cyl. over the six cyl.

Thank You
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Learners License

Garage
I have a 2009 with a Mexican 2.5 that has over 200K on it and it runs great. When I was younger I drove many under-engine cars, so I know I'm dating myself when I say this: Minimize the low-torque issue by driving the car like an old Fiat. Like old Fiats, this engine makes most of its power high in the rev range. If you're looking for more performance out of the engine you have to keep it in each gear longer. For everyday driving the four has an impressive amount of torque; I often find myself in the next higher gear than I would select in most other cars. I was interested in the comment about the final drive being higher on the manuals v slushboxes; I think you're on to something there. Granny-driving my car, I struggle to get 28 mpg. Driving typically, I usually only get 26 or 27. Mileage is still better than the V6 and I get the increased range due to the big fuel tank. On long trips I often go over 500 miles per tank. Now if I could only find a diesel...

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
Friedrich Nietzsche
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireProof View Post
I have a 2009 with a Mexican 2.5 that has over 200K on it and it runs great. When I was younger I drove many under-engine cars, so I know I'm dating myself when I say this: Minimize the low-torque issue by driving the car like an old Fiat. Like old Fiats, this engine makes most of its power high in the rev range. If you're looking for more performance out of the engine you have to keep it in each gear longer. For everyday driving the four has an impressive amount of torque; I often find myself in the next higher gear than I would select in most other cars. I was interested in the comment about the final drive being higher on the manuals v slushboxes; I think you're on to something there. Granny-driving my car, I struggle to get 28 mpg. Driving typically, I usually only get 26 or 27. Mileage is still better than the V6 and I get the increased range due to the big fuel tank. On long trips I often go over 500 miles per tank. Now if I could only find a diesel...
Is that city or highway? I have no problems getting 29 highway. I could do better by taking it easy on the gas and slowing down a little bit. I averaged 34 MPG between fill ups one time. When I have the money, I'd like to get one of the newer transmissions or have some custom gears made.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the four banger and I think it's a real nice compromise, just enough engine, if you will. I think the 2.5L size is just perfect for the right amount of torque on take-off as you can get going and even chirp the wheels in the dry. The only disappointing range is when you are city cruising at 30mph and would really like to accelerate. 30mph is too high to downshift to 1st and you're kind of stuck in inertiaville waiting for 2nd to get up into the better torque rpms. Acceleration from all other speeds is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page