2.5G power potential - Page 8 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
this sounds like a zoom zoom boom moment eminent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'd rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built if for me. Your car is your story so don't let someone else write the book." Moog from Mighty Car MOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
solar, solar, solar!!!... LOL.

100% interested in a tune now... and effects like MPG (just because LOL)
230HP is MUCH better
Looks to be right on par with what he had speculated before about 200WHP being the gain level.

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #73 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, the graph posted will not relate what so ever to our cars. The Mazda3 Skyactive 2.5 has a totally different exhaust manifold than ours.
I believe the one tested was an early model with a replacement manifold.
Our setup looks totally different and while it looks great and the design was made specifically for evacuation/heat removal, it also has an ugly, power robbing cat plumbed into it.
The majority of 6 owners here wont touch that manifold and will only be at most replacing the rear muffler. It would be nice if someone would make a system that gets rid of at least the second cat (high flow replacement) and a straighter flowing street-able (not overly loud) system with zero drone.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be happy to be second in line for this tune but I fully understand that without a full engine back exhaust the numbers he posted are something we as "6" owners will never achieve.

I'd be super happy if I'm made to eat my words though!!!

Solar: is that graph shown wheel or crank HP?

'16 CX-5 GT
'14 6 GT
'13 Golf R (APR Stage 2+)
'10 GTI (APR K04, 313 WHP)
'07 Mazdaspeed 6 (Cobb, CP-e)

Last edited by davesxx01; 12-08-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Dave,
The graph is at the wheels.

The quote I included from OVT is that the entire exhaust was redone, including headers, so the essence of your statement could be valid, but I don't think there is any difference in the factory 2.5 skyactive headers between the 3 and the 6. They both have the same emissions requirements and should have the same supercomputer designed 4-2-1 headers with a precat shoved in there at the end of them. The factory specs for hp and torque are the same.

It really depends on the car to see what difference aftermarket headers make (5-15hp), and that was always vs a stock cast iron manifold, LoL. I know the guys at dynotronics said the factory headers are hurting top end performance which isn't too suprising since the headers are for minimizing knock for two of the cylinders and would be tuned for fuel economy/torque not top end power, but still, maybe only 5hp?

Look at the rpm of peak power from the plot illustration its basically at the factory redline. A bunch of that could be attributed to the shorter aftermarket intake and the tune, but likely some of it is a top end tuned custom header.

So real world I would think with the factory headers the 2.5G would make about 215-220hp max instead of 225-230 and about the same peak torque as the plot.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;

Last edited by solar365; 12-08-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #75 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Garage
If you want to know whats really cool about this engines potential is that 230+ lb-ft of torque from a naturally aspirated 2.5L gasoline engine. That's a specific torque of 94lb-ft/liter. That is off the charts! And it's just a 4cylinder! not a V8 or V12 or Inline 6 that are known for their torque.

Per wikipedia the highest specific torque for a natural aspirated gasoline production car engine in the world (including truck engines) was the last BMW M3 that came with a naturally aspirated inline 6 at 86 lb-ft/liter. And I don't recall BMW M3s getting 26/37 mpg.

I realize it isn't fair to compare a modded engine (although the core engine is untouched) to factory engines, but that still very impressive any way you slice it.

So when somebody asks you what's so special about Skyactiv. That's what you can tell them. Power of a gas engine, torque and fuel efficiency almost like a diesel, and no turbo funny business. Just the way I like it. All motor baby!

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;

Last edited by solar365; 12-08-2014 at 05:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solar365 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (12-14-2014), Tangsoo (12-08-2014)
post #76 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMainah View Post
this sounds like a zoom zoom boom moment eminent.
There was an automotive journalist that once said "I had an epiphany that engines invariably run their sweetest right before they explode".

That's because combustion efficiency is great for power, and the engine will sound awesome, but it's stressing the components until that tiny crack/flaw in the piston, connecting rod or pin, or crankshaft that's been there since day one starts growing at a rapid clip until it fails in a dramatic display of fracture mechanics and metal fatigue in action.

So you have to ask yourself, "How big are the initial microscopic cracks in your engine's components?" Are you feeling lucky? LoL

;
post #77 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Any updates?
post #78 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I am so friggin confused...did the original OVtune thread get deleted from when we voted @solar365? I can't find it! I would be very happy with 220HP! I Would definitely add an SRI vs CAI if tuning though.
post #79 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Easily worth the money for the tune if it gets those gains and is safe. I want to see and hear that Supercharged Skyactiv-G that they have. Would love to the see the dyno of that.
post #80 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:23 PM

Garage
All,
-I have no updates. I provided my contact info via PM on the 5th of December and haven't heard back. OVTunings last log in to the site was this morning for the first time since the 5th, so hopefully they have my info and will be shipping the kit soon.
-The thread for that is here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda6-a...w-request.html
Go to www.ovtuned.com to see the dyno plots they do have, one of which is the MZR 2.5 with the esupercharger. The skyactiv would only be stronger especially in the lower rpms.

;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page