Mazda 6 Forums banner

2012 fusion 2.5 in my 07 6 5speed

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  William m6 
#1 ·
About to pull the trigger on this low mileage 2.5 out of 2012 fusion. Just wanted confirmation it will work. I've read about 09 10 fusion 2.5 swaps but nothing on a 2012. Any help appreciated.

#3 ·
So I'm in the middle of this swap. The 2.5 vvt solenoid is smaller than my 2.3 and I had to swap valve covers so the coils bolted properly. I've moved most every thing over. Is it necessary to do the timing cover ant the oil pan and oil pickup??
and why?? my old crank pulley bolted right up no problem and the ac compressor did too. I'm wondering why I need to swap pan pickup and timing cover. I also noticed that the intake is smaller and I've heard of an adapter but don't know where to find it. Any help would be appreciated.
p.s. It's a 2007 Mazda 6 5speed not speed6 and the motor is from 2012 fusion.

Marc

#4 ·
I swapped the full timing cover/oil pan/pickup. I actually bought a new pick up since the engine I had, had a spun bearing and the pickup was full of bearing material. Looking back on it, I don't know if there was a need to change it all over, I feel like after I was done I deemed it not really necessary. I did add the friction washers behind the cam gears and replaced the friction washers at the crankshaft when changing the balancer. Hopefully you have the timing tools? Getting the crank bolt torqued is a bit of a task. The earlier 2.5 VVT solenoids are the same diameter. I knew there was a change there but didn't know what it was as the engine I had didn't require anything different.

There are a few ways to handle the intake. Some use the 2.5 intake with a different throttle body, or buy a 2.5 to 2.3 throttle body adapter, or someone makes a plate that essentially adapts the 2.3 intake to the 2.5. The plate is the easiest route as everything plugs in like stock, but it is the worst performing because it uses the smaller 2.3 intake and blocks off part of the ports on the head since the 2.5 ports are larger. I emailed ftodaro716@aol.com to get the plate.

#5 ·
Wow thnx!! you've eased my mind a bit. I've got timing all set just a bit concerned about the whole different vvt solenoid. the connector looks the same and I was able to swap grommets so the valve cover fits just fine now. fingers crossed she's going in on Monday.

#6 ·
Wow thnx!! you've eased my mind a bit. I've got timing all set just a bit concerned about the whole different vvt solenoid. the connector looks the same and I was able to swap grommets so the valve cover fits just fine now. fingers crossed she's going in as soon as I get that adapter plate

#7 ·
OK engine went in last night. Everything went smooth but I have 5 extra harnesses. 1st one is a single wire harness on the valve cover. Looks like a heat sink. 2nd one is mounted to the radiator shroud. 3+4 are same length and come up to throttle body area or reach to about where the ac compressor. The 5th one is right next to the large connector that feeds the fuel rail and is on a short leash. Maybe I should've labeled a bit better.......

#8 ·
Not sure this will be much help but one of the connections near the A/C compressor is for the knock sensor. There is a coolant related sensor to the rear of the coolant connections at the transmission end of the engine. There is a connection on the PS pump and one on the oil filter base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.