Engine swap no start no injector pulse - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engine swap no start no injector pulse

Has anyone done an engine swap successfully? I have swapped an Australian spec 2004 2.3L engine and 4 speed auto from a GG Mazda 6 (my old car) into a 11/2003 GG Mazda 6 shell (my new car). I cannot start the mutha. The starter motor turns but the engine doesn’t fire up. (Strangely, when I change to my old ecu, the starter motor doesn’t turn and I see the immobiliser check light flashing rapidly).

When spraying hydrocarbons into the throttle body the engine seems to want to fire up suggesting I’m getting spark. The spark plugs and cylinder bore is totally dry suggesting injectors aren’t firing. There’s plenty of fuel as tested by removing the fuel line and draining into a bucket while engine is cranked. All electrical connections have been checked countless times.

Is there a BCM or immobiliser module I need to swap over from my old car? I cannot find any modules except for the ecu at the footwell and Visteon remote box under the drivers dash. There appears to be no BCM in my car (ie. grey box with multiple plugs). I have looked in the engine bay near the battery/fuse box/engine bay as well under dash/glove box, under seats and found nothing. There’s only a fuse junction box with fuses (as pictured under glove box) but I have swapped this from my old car too without success.

Help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181230_134116_1546217727545.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	885.2 KB
ID:	225802  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
The keys, steering column, instrument cluster and PCM/ECU all must match for the car to run properly. Someone with a dealer level scan tool can also do the flashing. Be careful not to put it into theft mode as that requires a dealer level scan tool to flash it to run.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
The Following User Says Thank You to b1lk1 For This Useful Post:
striver (12-31-2018)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:37 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
The keys, steering column, instrument cluster and PCM/ECU all must match for the car to run properly. Someone with a dealer level scan tool can also do the flashing. Be careful not to put it into theft mode as that requires a dealer level scan tool to flash it to run.
I recently changed my standard instrument cluster for an electroluminescent specimen and had no issues. 06/2004 GY into 05/2004 GY. It would seem the US instrumentation is exempt from this security issue.

Sorry I have nothing more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

.MSP slotted brakes & rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Interesting. I was able to run my old car with a generic blank key so how does the steering column and cluster sense things don't match up? Also if the ecu is in theft mode will it stay in that state forever and useless unless dealer reset?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
Engine swap no start no injector pulse

@mazda6thsense Is it possible that an immobilizer was optional on the Australian spec models? In that theory if the donor car did not have one and the new one does it could be possible thatís your problem you could try swapping the computers and ignition from the old car and see if that makes a difference. I donít think it has anything to do with the instrument cluster because as DrFeelGood I too have swapped mine for the electroluminescent ones with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

There seems to be an active immobiliser on these models evidenced by lack of cranking with old ecu and security light flashing but it's a question of how to overcome it. I'll check other things with new ecu since i at least get cranking before resorting to changing ignition barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page