LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOS please send help!!!!!

Doing a head gasket on a 2007 6i 5mt (same car as my own, but this is a friends) because he has to get to work. I'm about ready to reinstall the cam shafts but I've realized I've done something really awful. I took the crank pully off to remove the timing cover WITHOUT THE CAR AT TDC. I've found TDC by removing the no. 1 spark plugs and setting a large screw driver in there and watched the piston travel. The issue is that I do not know which way the cam shafts are supposed to be set rotation wise. Does someone know how to set timing with reference to TDC? Or can someone just send me a picture of their cams when at tdc so I can replicate? I really appreciate any help you guys can give. I really need to get this fixed so I can get my friend back to work

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Garage
Hello @wither48,
I don't have a direct answer but some others have dealt with similar issues.

I am assuming the the special tools you used when disassembling have accidentally been removed?

I have included some links below for you to help sort it out..

http://forum.mazda6club.com/2-3l-i-4...ml#post3799113

http://forum.mazda6club.com/2-3l-i-4...ml#post3772113

https://youtu.be/_it-83WjpIE 26min may have your answer.

https://youtu.be/vLU3nQNRaO4

https://youtu.be/LvFn5ekdv8o

https://youtu.be/qXhtwAM-Q3M

Best of luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
wither48 (06-28-2018)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Beautiful! I read over those threads but the videos you linked are exactly what I needed to see. Ordered a set of OEM TOOLS brand timing tools and I should have it good to go in no time. I really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wither48 View Post
Beautiful! I read over those threads but the videos you linked are exactly what I needed to see. Ordered a set of OEM TOOLS brand timing tools and I should have it good to go in no time. I really appreciate it!

Great News!

One step closer...

Modifications:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Great News!

One step closer...
Right on. I didn't use any of the timing tools when I removed the crank pulley. It seems like I should just reset timing using the tools as though the motor had just been rebuilt (i.e. install timing plug to set crank to TDC and allign cams for TDC with lobes facing in)

DrFeelGood likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 AM
Rally Racer

Garage
Did you ever get this sorted out?

Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page