post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slowly dying engine.

So, as far as becoming a new member, with the hopes of basking in the otherwise enjoyment of a group of appreciators behind the 6, I found my old wagon has already got a bit of a problem with it, that's steadily becoming rather fatal.

A big problem I'm facing is power loss, but at an alarming rate. In may I purchased my 6, a 2.0L I4. After a month of owning it (I made sure the oil was full and clean when I purchased it), the oil light began to come on when slowing down. I asked my local garage if they had any suggestions about this, and, in a bit of a panic the day before I showed up, I dropped about 2 litres of oil in to her, out of fear she'd been running complete dry this entire time.

Classic mistake of first owning a car, I suppose, as when I showed up, they checked the oil and said it was about a litre overfilled. Good thing I only went down the road, right? They drained off the excess and said, yeah, that's kind of weird. The oil is clean, but by using those stellar math skills I have, I've somehow lost about a litre of oil in a month of driving (~1000 miles). Which, is definitely not normal.

I paid a visit to a local Mazda dealer to explain what I was experiencing, and they suggested an oil pressure test, which I agreed to do. Turns out afterwards, the engine has really low oil pressure, we're talking 20 PSI at 3000RPM, where I was told it should be 49. Suspected piston rings are worn, that, in an ideal world, would require an engine rebuild. Which I absolutely cannot afford.

But I really do not want to lose my baby. That was back in August, I had that pressure test done, and the mechanic predicted she'd be dead within a month. Well, I showed them, kind of! I've been using the dash's trip counter to make sure I check the oil every 100 miles, and top it up a bit if necessary. Right now she burns through about 1 litre of oil every 250-300 miles, and is steadily getting worse. So at this point I'm starting to get concerned I'm running out of time before she just conks out entirely.

I know it seems highly unlikely, but does anyone have any suggestions to assist with this? Or, failing that, an opinion on the idea of an engine swap? I was just considering replacing it with another 2.0L I4 of the same make, as, to my understanding, the MX-5 of the same era uses the same size of engine.

Sorry for the long post but, thank you for anyone who took the time to read this.

Elso

Last edited by Elso Valager; 10-23-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to include details of my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Welcome! That sounds frustrating. Others will have much better idea than me, but at the very least are you using a high mileage oil? For an older vehicle, that's absolutely crucial in my opinion.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
If you have the tools and time as well as knowledge you can get a used engine from the scrapyard, might be hard to do where you are, I assuming Europe/GB? Anyhow, paying to get it done is never cheap.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I am in the UK, yes, that's seemingly part of the problem I've run in to :P Most advice seems geared towards the US market.

Though no I hadn't considered using high mileage oil, with the rate my engine appears to be burning through it, it seemed like a bit of a waste to be honest with you. The review the mechanic gave of my engine suggested the oil pressure isn't allowing the oil to circulate efficiently, and keeps getting burnt off somewhere around the system.

My likely option is scrapyard diving to try and find a suitable replacement engine that matches the current size and design.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about the decline. 60K miles is pretty low miles and it may be worth it to replace the motor. At this point you have very little to loose so putting a heavier oil (maybe 10-50, 20-50? and/or a ring sealer) might pay off. I have use a product called Restore with great results in my old 1994 Corolla Estate(AE101) (GXi 1.8L). I used a can of 6-cyl treatment in the 4cyl motor and one oil weight higher of high mileage oil. It have me an extra 100,000 miles and I sold it running (albeit tired at about 300,000mi)

Maybe it will buy you a little time to find a replacement.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	775englishrestorernosiz.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	224596  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

That's actually not too expensive, I might well pick up a can of that and give it a try. I mean I can confirm that I get enough space in my oil for another fluid in there regularly enough. So thank you very much for the suggestion!

At the least this might give her a bit more of a lease of life in the short term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page