Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Question DPF Oddity

Hello Guys,

Could somebody tell me if this garage is sprouting garbage?

Background: -
After driving from my house unhindered (65-70mph) on the M62, M1, A1(M) and then A66 (i think) on my way to Centre Parks Whinfell (CPW) in December the DPF light came on about 1 mile from CPW along with the limp mode light. 4 days later i drive home using the same route again doing a constant 65 -> 70 the whole way home neither the limp mode or DPF light went out.

I took it to one garage who said it would not force regen and would need a new DPF filter. (I always take my cars here and trust them)

The garbage?
I took it back where I purchased it from (less than 6 months ago - 2nd hand) and said it needed a new DPF filter - after many letters they took it to another garage who they claimed the forced regen worked, when i spoke with the garage themselves they said they had to use some foam but it's now spotless. Because of the legal ramifications I asked how could the light have come on at the end of the journey when it should have been in regen mode for nearly all of it.

He said - "The car can pass the point it can regen itself before the dpf warning light has even come on"

I just can't see how that would be true, surely the whole point of the light is to warn you to do 2-3 junctions on the motorway to clear it and not a "too late, you're screwed now"

I'm also concerned as to why it immediately went into limp mode.

The only point of reference I have is my wife's diesel (56 Renault Megane) that (until december) only does short 5-6 mile trips. When the light comes on, there is no limp mode and 2-3 junctions later the DPF is cleared again.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
After further discussions with the place where i bought the car and they've told me this......

The DPF will only regen when the car want to, it won't always happen when your travelling at 70mph even for long distances, the issue was caused because the when the light came on you stopped the car and didn't allow it to regen. Then the trip back was too late for it, as it now had a failed regen.

My BS detector is going through the roof.

With that logic, you could have a cleanish DPF, drive 3-4 hours from Leeds to the middle of London, if the light comes on you'll then need to fight your way back out of London onto a motorway for it to clear to then fight your way back in again. If you park up in London instead you're screwed.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Just ask all the long haul truckers in North America how much they love that poor stop gap called DPF. Transport trucks go down like that, imagine that nightmare.

I don't have anything useful other than we have seen the peak if diesel in cars and I give it 10 years before no new diesel cars are even available.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkieDropout View Post
After further discussions with the place where i bought the car and they've told me this......

The DPF will only regen when the car want to, it won't always happen when your travelling at 70mph even for long distances, the issue was caused because the when the light came on you stopped the car and didn't allow it to regen. Then the trip back was too late for it, as it now had a failed regen.

This is somehow alarming for me as I have the diesel variant. I've read some complaints from an Australian article regarding DPF. The solution is to drive it the way you described it.

I just hope that the current design of DPF is better.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
It just seems to illogical to design a system that has the potential to force the driver to drive even further.

UK Example.
The drive from Leeds to Newquay is around 6 hours not allowing for your breaks every 2 hours and traffic delays on the "A" roads. The last 2 hours of the trip is on "A" roads as there are no motorways anywhere near Newquay and the "A" roads there swap between 1 and 2 lanes and can be quite congested, especially in the summer months.

So worse case scenario is, you drive for 6 hours (not allowing for stops/traffic) the light comes on, you then need to drive 2 hours back to the motorway (traffic allowing) - go up the motorway, turn round and come back again. Your 6 hour trip is now over 10 - 11 hours with light traffic. It doesn't make sense to me........

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM

What I've read is that if you frequently drive for long hours, you won't have a problem with DPF. I think that is for newer version so you don't have to worry about regen. My friend told me about this however, I haven't read any article about it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
I'll try staying away from Supermarket Diesel - I've just filled up with Shell V-Power Diesel to see if that helps keep the DPF horrors away. There is also DPF cleaner additives you can get, but i think this is part of Premium Diesel fuel anyways.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:39 AM

I found this article and describing what is DPF and what we should do about it. I know you already described it but for the sake of those who are new to this technology like me, I'm putting it here.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/e...ulate-filters/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
I contacted Mazda UK (as suggested by the garage) about what happened on the trip too and from Whinfell and this is the response - uneditted.

Thank you for getting in touch using our Contact us Page.

After consulting with the Technical Support Team here at Head Office they have confirmed based on your enquiry it sounds like there is an issue with the vehicle, as it should regenerate easily at motorway speeds, so we would recommend the vehicle is taken to a Mazda dealer for diagnosis.

If there is anything else I can do please do get back in touch.

As I see it, the car should as I have suspected regenned itself and not as the garage is telling me.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:19 AM

Good to know and if I may suggest, stay away from that garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page