Annoying front end vibration and noise - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Annoying front end vibration and noise

Hi owners of 1st-gen Mazda 6,

I have a 2007 Mazda 6 i Sport 4i 2.3L, it had 158,400 miles today.

Starting from several months ago, the car has had a strange front end vibration and noise. In order to better show the problem, I've recorded a 2-minutes video and uploaded it to Youtube, here is the video (youtube.com/watch?v=wByvgskPDh8).

As you can hear form the video, the clicking noise is very loud and regular. I can feel the vibration from steering wheel, floor, seat, windshield, basically everything vibrates... :-(

It's proportional to speed, not engine speed.

I have replaced the following items but did not solve the problem:
1. new tires
2. new rims
3. new aftermarket CV axle (driver side only)
4. new rotors
5. new brakes

I am sure the engine is bullet proof, I've use full synthetic oil and recently replaced the OEM engine mounts.

Have you experienced same or similar front end vibration and noise? What might be the root cause problem? Does it look wheel bearing?

************** Further thought ******************
Based on the wheel and tire size, I calculated the relationship between the frequency of the wheel (F, in Hz) and the velocity of the car with respect to ground (V, in mph) is:

F = 0.218*V

Using a software called "Audacity", I extracted the audio from the video and measured the frequency of the vibration that caused the noise. It is 14~15 Hz when driving with 70 mph. So it basically proved that the vibration is caused by something, in drivetrain, most possibly between transmission and the wheel. Is is wheel bearing or CV axle?

Thank you all!

My daily car: 2007 Mazda 6
Wife's daily car: 2005 ES330
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
So I need to ask, how are the mounts on the car? The reason I ask is because I had something similar to what you have going on the last time I went to NC on vacation. The oil filled mount was so shot that a CV joint was hitting something (I can't remember where exactly) I drove it 500 miles home like that and once back home I was able to switch it out. Nowhere in NC that I was around had a mount and would have had to order 1 and we didn't have the time to wait for it.

It was a bitch to track down and I was lucky enough that my brother in law helped me find it.

With the help from someone, either have them slowly back up and drive forward while you look for anything that is hitting while it's moving or you drive while they look. My noise only showed up under load while the car was on the ground. Sure enough, he was able to see exactly where the axle was hitting due to the mount being blown out.

It may not be exactly what your issue is but it's worth a shot.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights and lots more to come!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Raydiate For This Useful Post:
autoGTD (05-17-2019)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Raydiate View Post
My noise only showed up under load while the car was on the ground. Sure enough, he was able to see exactly where the axle was hitting due to the mount being blown out.
I absolutely love reading all these posts. It is like gaining the experience of being a mechanic on ONE type of car for 30 years. There are so many great posts about obscure failures and their associated solutions.
DJ Raydiate likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
Yeah it was odd. The car drove fine all the way up there from FL and on the 4th day of 7, that noise showed up and freaked me out. I thought it was a rod knock while I was driving but when parked, no knock. When it was jacked up and on stands, the noise wasn't there at all. It wasn't until the suspension was under load and backing up and down the drive way that it showed back up.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights and lots more to come!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
did you check the control arms? i had similar issues last year but let it go for a while. went to get my car inspected and the mechanic noticed the inside of my front tires were worn way down. replacing the control arms fixed it for me
The Following User Says Thank You to nooch For This Useful Post:
autoGTD (05-17-2019)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
So I need to ask, how are the mounts on the car? The reason I ask is because I had something similar to what you have going on the last time I went to NC on vacation. The oil filled mount was so shot that a CV joint was hitting something (I can't remember where exactly) I drove it 500 miles home like that and once back home I was able to switch it out. Nowhere in NC that I was around had a mount and would have had to order 1 and we didn't have the time to wait for it.

It was a bitch to track down and I was lucky enough that my brother in law helped me find it.

With the help from someone, either have them slowly back up and drive forward while you look for anything that is hitting while it's moving or you drive while they look. My noise only showed up under load while the car was on the ground. Sure enough, he was able to see exactly where the axle was hitting due to the mount being blown out.

It may not be exactly what your issue is but it's worth a shot.
Thanks DJ for your sharing. I was too busy yesterday.

By "mounts", do you mean engine mount (engine mount) or front struts (shock absorber)?

1. I have replaced all three engine mounts and transmission mounts with the OEM one last year. They are expensive, the total price of parts is $400.

2. I also replaced all six control arms last year with aftermarket parts, total price is $160 on Amazon.

The car had been great, I enjoyed every minute when driving it.

But since last year, as a 11-years-old car, it began showing many problems, such as
1. control arm balljoint noise
2. thermostat stuck open and leak
3. radiator leak
4. rough idle.
5. transmission shift problem
6. driver speaker no sound
7. center dash lid broke
8. many electrical circuits problem, such as headlight flicker

I did most DIY repair myself to save money. But my wife complains that I spent much more time on a old car than on her and the kid...

I just don't know if should continue to invest a little more money on the repair or drive as is to engine failure.

Test drove the new 2019 Mazda 6, I don't like the handling of it. It drives like a Camry but with louder windnoise. It was not double wishbone any more. I still like the handling of 1st-gen.

Thanks~

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooch View Post
did you check the control arms? i had similar issues last year but let it go for a while. went to get my car inspected and the mechanic noticed the inside of my front tires were worn way down. replacing the control arms fixed it for me
I also replaced all six control arms last year with aftermarket parts, total price is $160 on Amazon. Considering it low price, it drives okay, not as good as OEM.
The OEM control arms are ridiculously expensive. A whole set of 6 might cost $800. One limitation of Mazda is that its OEM parts are too expensive, comparing with Toyota and Honda.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Yeah it was odd. The car drove fine all the way up there from FL and on the 4th day of 7, that noise showed up and freaked me out. I thought it was a rod knock while I was driving but when parked, no knock. When it was jacked up and on stands, the noise wasn't there at all. It wasn't until the suspension was under load and backing up and down the drive way that it showed back up.
Mine showed the vibration without too much load. The only payload is my weight, 185 lbs

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoGTD View Post
Mine showed the vibration without too much load. The only payload is my weight, 185 lbs
Lmfao, if the car is on the ground with nothing but the wheels supporting it, the suspension is under load lol.

I was watching the video again just trying to think. To me that doesn't sound like a wheel bearing. Most of the time that's more of a "wom,wom,wom" sound vs a "clacking" sound. If they are extremely worn and dry, maybe. I'm not familiar with the 2.3 but does it have an intermediate shaft and carrier bearing? These can make all sorts of noises on any vehicle they are on.

I'd jack the car up and take a pry bar and touch everything possible with it. Try to get pieces to move. Check the shafts of any kind of play. Look at the carrier bearing if you have one and see if it looks odd. Does the axle have play where the 2 meet? Take your hands and place them on the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggle in and out. Hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle. Is there any play there? If there is play when wiggling the tires but not moving the suspension, that would be the wheel bearing.

This one is definitely an odd one and I'm more than happy to try and brainstorm and post thoughts and possibilities but can't say for sure that's what the problem is going to be lol.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Raydiate For This Useful Post:
autoGTD (05-18-2019)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Lmfao, if the car is on the ground with nothing but the wheels supporting it, the suspension is under load lol.

I was watching the video again just trying to think. To me that doesn't sound like a wheel bearing. Most of the time that's more of a "wom,wom,wom" sound vs a "clacking" sound. If they are extremely worn and dry, maybe. I'm not familiar with the 2.3 but does it have an intermediate shaft and carrier bearing? These can make all sorts of noises on any vehicle they are on.

I'd jack the car up and take a pry bar and touch everything possible with it. Try to get pieces to move. Check the shafts of any kind of play. Look at the carrier bearing if you have one and see if it looks odd. Does the axle have play where the 2 meet? Take your hands and place them on the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggle in and out. Hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle. Is there any play there? If there is play when wiggling the tires but not moving the suspension, that would be the wheel bearing.

This one is definitely an odd one and I'm more than happy to try and brainstorm and post thoughts and possibilities but can't say for sure that's what the problem is going to be lol.
I will check tomorrow. Thank you! Will keep update!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in