Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question LEDs headlights for 2007

Hello all!

A while back I installed HID bulbs with a conversion kit for the low beams on my 2007 Mazda 6i. But honestly they're pretty terrible in terms of brightness. They're 6,500k, but they're more blue than white. And they seem to possibly require much more amperage than what the stock bulbs require, and that has worried me.

I was curious after seeing a lot of cheap LED bulbs that appear to be so much brighter than halogen or even HID. It never bothered me much until recently as I've been having to do a lot more driving at night. Does anyone have any recommendations on LED bulbs that fit this model for low beams and high beams?

I found these on Amazon, and they have great reviews, but I'm not sure if they'll work since they appear to be high/low combined.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 2
My recommendation would be to go back to the Halogen lamps that the car came with, and make sure the lenses on your headlamp assemblies are clean/polished.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
I run 5500k hids in my 03. Anything above 4500k (4300 really) you start to lose the intensity of light. At 6500k i bet that they do look blue vs useable light. I'm also only running 35w ballasts and I've had 0 issues.

With that said, I do plan on retrofitting the headlights with true HID projectors. This imo is the best way to go about getting better lighting. Pnp is great when done right and our cars take hids very well when aimed properly.

IF you still want something other than halogen, I'd stay with hid but come down on the range a bit. 5500k is a great color. A slight blue with a lot of white.

IF wanting to run LEDs properly, look to spend more than $22 on them. There was some that I had seen (Morimoto 2strokes maybe?) that the dies in the LEDs are very close to stock halogen filament placement. Yet again, not $22 for the bulbs.

(Taken from diode dynamics)

HID Bulb Color
The color of the bulb is important in determining the total output. An HID bulb produces many different colors of light, which are combined by your eye to create the white light you see. In addition to the visible light spectrum, HIDs also generate some ultraviolet light, which is not visible.

The brightest bulb color is 4300K, as it produces the least amount of UV light. You can see almost all of the light that is generated.

To achieve a "cooler" or bluer color with HIDs, the bulb is designed to output more blue light. However, as the color output shifts more to blue, more UV light is also produced, which is not visible! This is not a major issue with cool-white colors, but deep-blue HID bulbs will waste a lot of light output, because they will be generating so much invisible UV light.
DrFeelGood likes this.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I had installed the 55watt HID kit with 6000k bulbs about a year and half ago they are nice and white. I never need to turn my brights on which I still need to change those. But the important part about installing these units in our car is to use the extra wire harness with the relay then there will be now problems with the electrical. The HID do draw more on ignition but after that draw less power then the halogen bulbs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalint6 View Post
I had installed the 55watt HID kit with 6000k bulbs about a year and half ago they are nice and white. I never need to turn my brights on which I still need to change those. But the important part about installing these units in our car is to use the extra wire harness with the relay then there will be now problems with the electrical. The HID do draw more on ignition but after that draw less power then the halogen bulbs.
With running a 55w ballast, the bulb color is -1000k. So with a 6000k color bulb on a 55w system, the output of the light is now 5000k which is white vs the blue. The light output from a 55w ballast can also be anywhere from 25 - 50% more intense than the same bulb in a 35w system depending on components used. Something to always account for when picking ballast and bulbs.

I also would like to add that running a 55w ballasts decreases the lifespan of the bulb compared to running it in a 35w system. Some projectors also can't handle the extra watts of a 55w ballast and will burn them up a lot quicker.

I agree 100% on running a wiring harness!!! If you have ever taken the headlights apart the 1st gen, you will find all sorts of wires inside that the insulation is cracked and falling apart (At least on my 03). Running a harness will help take the load off of these old ass wires as well as the rest of the electrical system during start-up.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Raydiate View Post
With running a 55w ballast, the bulb color is -1000k. So with a 6000k color bulb on a 55w system, the output of the light is now 5000k which is white vs the blue. The light output from a 55w ballast can also be anywhere from 25 - 50% more intense than the same bulb in a 35w system depending on components used. Something to always account for when picking ballast and bulbs.

I also would like to add that running a 55w ballasts decreases the lifespan of the bulb compared to running it in a 35w system. Some projectors also can't handle the extra watts of a 55w ballast and will burn them up a lot quicker.

I agree 100% on running a wiring harness!!! If you have ever taken the headlights apart the 1st gen, you will find all sorts of wires inside that the insulation is cracked and falling apart (At least on my 03). Running a harness will help take the load off of these old ass wires as well as the rest of the electrical system during start-up.

The brightness of the bulb to me out weights the lifespan also knew by going with the 6000k would give me 5000k on a 55w ballast. These bulb are cheaper to replace then halogen.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
These bulb are cheaper to replace then halogen.
Rock Auto has H1s for 1.28- how much quality is in an HID for less?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
The brightness of the bulb to me out weights the lifespan also knew by going with the 6000k would give me 5000k on a 55w ballast.
Some people don't know that you loose color when running a 55w system. I was just trying to help add info into the thread and to the OP that the watts of the system (35w/55w) have an effect of the output color/intensity. Say someone gets a 4500k bulb and then runs a 55w ballast. They then come to ask why their hids suck. Same with the Ops issue. I didn't see what wattage their ballast are so I'm assuming a 35w system due to the complaint about the blue color.

Ray.
2003 6s
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Myche View Post
Rock Auto has H1s for 1.28- how much quality is in an HID for less?
I got brand new Morimoto H3C HID bulbs for $10 a pair for my integrated headlight fogs. Maybe not cheaper but still a fair price.

Ray.
2003 6s
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I have been running a 4300K slimline bulb with a 55w ballast for 2 years. The arrangement is brighter and whiter than the halogens and still has a very good cutoff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page