post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Old and foggy headlights.

One headlight cover is yellow and foggy. The other is foggy. (Foggy meaning the plastic is no longer perfectly clear and is clear but smudgy.)
What are my options to fix it? Worst and costly is pulling and replacing both units.
I was told that, the polishing kits to fix this really do not work.
When they first did this kind of design with headlights, they put a special coating on the plastic to keep bug guts off. But it degraded. So when you use a treatment on the plastic, it does not last. Also, micro fractures in the plastic are a problem.
So, this design, a big case with all the headlights in it, is no longer used on cars (you may notice) because, it is inherently flawed.
I am hoping, that at least someone out there, sells a new clear plastic part and, I can just swap that out but keep the perfectly fine headlights inside it. Hopefully saving a few hundred dollars.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Your best bet is a headlight restoration kit and if this doesn't work then you're up for new headlights. For best results I'd suggest removing the headlight and doing the inside. Make sure it's sealed properly before installation as to prevent fogging.
The kits aren't rubbish, it just comes down to the condition of the headlight and your technique. It's much the same as body detailing, some paintwork comes up like a mirror with a bit of correction and some is irreparable. Just be patient.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Take them off the car and use plastic polish intended for headlights. You'll be surprised.

You may not be able to restore them to COMPLETELY clear, but I bet you can make a massive improvement.

Incidentally the same polish works (BY HAND, thank you, with a microfiber cloth!) on plastic eyeglass lenses that are allegedly "impossible" to polish out scratches, haziness and "starbursts" (when looking at night lights.) The eyeglass places will tell you there's nothing you can do. They're lying; remove the lenses from the frame, place on a CLEAN and dry microfiber towel and use a second one to polish with. You'll like the results.

CAUTION: There are many plastic polishes and most of them are simply abrasives and will NOT do what you want. In particular DO NOT use Novus products unless you have EXTREMELY heavy oxidation (and NEVER use that stuff on eyeglass lenses.) Get the stuff intended for headlights -- McGuires PlastX works well and is reasonably inexpensive.

Last edited by tickerguy; 01-27-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You can find aftermarket lenses on eBay also
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:22 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Garage
Mask the bumper around the light to protect the paint.
Using 600 or 1200 wet/dry sand paper and water and go to work. you will feel the change in resistance when they are smooth.
Then use a polishing compound to buff the lens clear. If it is still foggy another round with the sandpaper then polish will be necessary.
Finish with a carnuba wax or something that has UV protection.

My first light took a little while but the second went quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I was thinking of getting a set of these headlight covers on ebay--but I have no idea what the quality is, or how difficult they are to install. Anyone have any ideas on either?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-For-Mazd...9ZewqO&vxp=mtr
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toecheese View Post
I was thinking of getting a set of these headlight covers on ebay--but I have no idea what the quality is, or how difficult they are to install. Anyone have any ideas on either?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-For-Mazd...9ZewqO&vxp=mtr
It will likely be more work than just polishing your. There are plenty of videos and how-too write ups on this.
https://youtu.be/wAedHvOW15I
http://forum.mazda6club.com/electric...eadlights.html
http://forum.mazda6club.com/interior...ml#post3471851

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I literally just did this exact job this weekend.

Car I bought had yellowed, crazed headlights, and I felt that the low beam light was degraded because of their condition.

I went to AutoZone and bought the Mothers headlight restoration kit (29 bucks with a mail in $10 rebate) It comes with a velcro pad to fit a drill, a polishing bulb with compound and three different grit sandpaper discs: 800, 1500 and 3000.

I tried the polishing bulb first but that really didn't improve the lights at all. So I started in with the sandpaper, wet sanding with the 800 first.

I mean to tell you, the lights went completely opaque on that step so I was praying that I hadn't f'ed it up.

Moved onto the 1500 grit, same appearance.

Moved onto the 3000 grit (which they said do dry) and still opaque as all get out.

Put the polishing bulb on, added some compound, and holy mackelandy, they came out looking 200% better than when I started.

I did them on the car, when I get a nice spring day I'll pull both off and redo them to get the spots that the pads couldn't hit because of the curve of the headlight.

But yeah, saved 175 bucks by doing this, and well satisfied with the results.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Groans: 3
For future reference; a good local hobby shop will often have a wide range of sandpapers perfect for this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
For longer lasting results, spray with Krylon clear UV resistant for plastic clear, otherwise they will "fog" over again in short order. Spray just a few light coats allowing to flash between coats. If you spray on too heavily it will craze on you in just a few moments. Do one headlight and wait to see how that comes out before doing the other one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page