Mazda 6 Forums banner

eBay Non-Sport Lower Fogs

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  MZBuckeye 
#1 ·
Has anyone purchased and installed these? I know most of you guys have the sport bumper, but there's gotta be a few non-sports out there. They look good, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I want to upgrade the lighting, but I don't want to waste $120 that I could just put towards HID's if they won't make much of a difference. Are these worth it? Will they make a considerable difference or should I just wait on HID's? I like my Osrams and if these accept H1's I'll throw another pair in these. I like the fact that they're street legal. Any opinions?

eBay non-sport lower fogs...

#2 ·
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Oct 30 2004, 03:00 PM
Has anyone purchased and installed these?  I know most of you guys have the sport bumper, but there's gotta be a few non-sports out there.  They look good, but I'm still a bit skeptical.  I want to upgrade the lighting, but I don't want to waste $120 that I could just put towards HID's if they won't make much of a difference.  Are these worth it?  Will they make a considerable difference or should I just wait on HID's?  I like my Osrams and if these accept H1's I'll throw another pair in these.  I like the fact that they're street legal.  Any opinions?

eBay non-sport lower fogs...
[snapback]320413[/snapback]​
I suppose it depends on what kind of difference you're looking for. I imagine most people who go for lower fogs get them because they like the way they look. In that case, they make a big difference (I like them).

As far as seeing on the road goes, they may help a bit, but the low-beams will project farther outward. I've got the integrated fogs, and they do make the surroundings brighter, but only near the car...it won't help you see farther down the road.

Drew

#3 ·
Good point. I don't like the looks of those mesh inserts, so maybe they would be a good investment. If I do decide to grab a pair I'll be sure to write up a How-to since I don't think there's one on here yet for these. I'll probably wait for other opinions too; thanks Drew.

#6 ·
The painting part is the easy part (I dunno anything about paint jobs, but I repainted my chrome moustache on my stock grille to black. Looks decent). THe part I'm concerned about is that the primed pieces don't seem to just SNAP ON to the bumper holes, while the first ebay item has supposedly OEM plastic pieces.

I read a feedback from one of the previous buyers, and he said that the pieces actually didn't fit the bumper! So money was refunded. But the auction says OEM! I contacted the bidder to see if maybe he got it for a sports bumper instead, hence the non-fitment.

#7 ·
Originally posted by GoofyG28@Oct 31 2004, 04:31 PM
The painting part is the easy part (I dunno anything about paint jobs, but I repainted my chrome moustache on my stock grille to black. Looks decent).  THe part I'm concerned about is that the primed pieces don't seem to just SNAP ON to the bumper holes, while the first ebay item has supposedly OEM plastic pieces.

I read a feedback from one of the previous buyers, and he said that the pieces actually didn't fit the bumper!  So money was refunded. But the auction says OEM!  I contacted the bidder to see if maybe he got it for a sports bumper instead, hence the non-fitment.
[snapback]320696[/snapback]​
Careful, goofy...it says OEM-style fog lights. It's not an OEM part, but it's designed to mimic the OEM part. I'd still expect it to fit the bumper, but I suppose there's no gaurantee. It's not designed for the sports bumper.

Drew

#8 ·
The biddder wrote back just now:

The plastic housing is not just off, it doesn't fit at all.The fog lights are good though.Still, you better pay $190 for the original mazda fog lights, that way you won't sorry like me.

I replied, asking him whether he has the sports or non-sports.

The auction is VERY misleading, because not once did the seller say "OEM-style". In the title, it reads: "03-04 Mazda 6/M6 OEM Fog Lights Kit". In the bullets, it reads: "Package comes as a pair (2 pc) with OEM Harness and On/Off Switch, Original Design".

The other auction (the primed one from HK) looks like it has projection-style fogs, as opposed to the black plastic auction which looks more stock (I think).

#9 ·
I bought the exact same plastic ones. For the non-sport bumper.

They don't quite fit. Even with hand crafting and talent, they don't look OEM.

The size is almost correct but the shape is not.

The lights, the wire harnests and the swicth are ok.

Guys, don't pay too much for these.

#11 ·
Okay guys, I found another seller on eBay. This looks even better than the other fogs previously mentioned. I contacted one winning bidder to ask if the brackets fit into our non-sports bumpers well and without modification. I'll update you if I hear from that person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33709

#12 ·
I saw those too, they are the same ones for sale on mazda6stuff.com, and in the description it says they don't have any mounting clips or anything, but they're working on fab'ing clips for them. Plus I'm not crazy about the switch, looks very aftermarket. I may just have to pony up the $200 and get the OEM ones from mazdastuff.

#13 ·
The bidder wrote back, and said it did not fit at all, but then again, he says he has a 5-door, which means he has the sports bumper.

#14 ·
Speaking only as a user of the non-sport fogs, they do a decent job of adding side illumination over the low beams. However, the true test is using the fogs alone without the low beams operating. And this of course requires some slight electrical modifications which are outlined elsewhere in this forum. As a general rule, for fog lights, the lower, the better. If you have a non-sport car/front cover, I'd say go with the "OEM" Cibie's. That way a) you know what you're getting and b) if there are any problems with them you'll have the recourse of going back to the dealer.

Originally posted by drew@Oct 30 2004, 08:13 PM
I suppose it depends on what kind of difference you're looking for.  I imagine most people who go for lower fogs get them because they like the way they look.  In that case, they make a big difference (I like them).

As far as seeing on the road goes, they may help a bit, but the low-beams will project farther outward.  I've got the integrated fogs, and they do make the surroundings brighter, but only near the car...it won't help you see farther down the road.

Drew
[snapback]320430[/snapback]​

#15 ·
Good news! I contacted a different bidder for the same set of aftermarket (OEM-like) fogs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33716

Here's what the bidder had to say:

The answer to your question do they fit is YES, but the fitting is another story. The problems that i have had were the locking tabs are not the same and do require modification to be done (4 small screws in each fixed that problem and made them alot more secure in the bumper). As for the wiring harness , switch and relay i put them in the bin and made my own.But now that thay are fitted they do look good and sit well in the bumper. I hope that this helps you.

#16 ·
Another bidder also gave me positive feedback on the non-OEM fogs:

The lights fit at look great. You can check mine out on my Web page at http://www.cardomain.com/id/hitmakaz The key to installation, is to be SURE TO REMOVE the current fog light housing PROPERLY!!! If you do not, you can slightly throw of your fitmet for the fog light. But it's not difficult at all! The most difficult part of the install was trying to tap into the parking light wires! WOW! That took a lot of brainwork to do, but nevertheless, determination prevailed! The only thing I did not really like about these lights was the activation "SWITCH", which I have a picture of on my Web page. Its not the factory fit, but it's ok. Overall, I would recommend them. The seller was reliable, I had excellent communication with him throughout the transaction, and shipping was actually very fast to come from overseas! Good luck! If you get them and have any install questions, dont hesitate to contact me again. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, bus most of all HAPPY eBAYING!

Here are some pics from his cardomain page:

#17 ·
Originally posted by GoofyG28@Nov 22 2004, 08:34 PM
Another bidder also gave me positive feedback on the non-OEM fogs:

The lights fit at look great. You can check mine out on my Web page at http://www.cardomain.com/id/hitmakaz The key to installation, is to be SURE TO REMOVE the current fog light housing PROPERLY!!! If you do not, you can slightly throw of your fitmet for the fog light. But it's not difficult at all! The most difficult part of the install was trying to tap into the parking light wires! WOW! That took a lot of brainwork to do, but nevertheless, determination prevailed! The only thing I did not really like about these lights was the activation "SWITCH", which I have a picture of on my Web page. Its not the factory fit, but it's ok. Overall, I would recommend them. The seller was reliable, I had excellent communication with him throughout the transaction, and shipping was actually very fast to come from overseas! Good luck! If you get them and have any install questions, dont hesitate to contact me again. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, bus most of all HAPPY eBAYING!

Here are some pics from his cardomain page:

[snapback]327320[/snapback]​
If he had the OEM light, why the heck would he replace it with an aftermarket light? :huh:

#18 ·
I think he only meant that instead of buying the OEM fog light kit, he got the aftermarket one from eBay... I think.

#19 ·
Hmmm, those do look pretty cool, and the price is right. 1/2 the price of the factory's. They come in Ion Yellow too, that'd probably look pretty sweet. I wonder if they'd be not as bright tho... I think I may give these a try. Plus I like the fact that you tap 'em into the parking lights so they'll come on without the lowbeams but hopefully will turn off with the parking lights. I had aftermarket fogs on my Dodge Ram that could be turned on even with the truck off, and I always left 'em on by accident.

#20 ·
Exactly! You're saving so much money because you're not paying for the new STALK that you get with the OEM kit. Like you said, I'd rather have the switch be SEPARATE from the parking lights.

I caved in and made the purchase tonight. I'll let everyone know how the install goes once I get it (maybe if I have time, I'll actually take step-by-step photos!). I got the yellow, because the winning bidder told me his Xenon Blue looked almost white. There's plenty of fog where I live, so yellow would be ideal. I also plan to make my own switch and locate it between the TCS and the dash lighting switch.

#21 ·
Hey goofy, sweet! I think I'll pull the trigger too when I get paid if your install goes well. I was also thinking about the switch situation, no way am I putting that wack ass switch on my dash that they come with. You think the yellow will still be as bright? How do you plan on doing the switch? I was thinking about trying to purchase the TCS switch from Mazda and wiring the fogs to it, but I dont' know what that would entail and I have a feeling Mazda will charge something outrageous. Keep me posted cuz your experience will have a great impact on what I decide to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.