2nd-gen Mazda 6 in the snow! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
2nd-gen Mazda 6 in the snow!

One word: Excellent!

Today was my first morning commute dealing with snow, anywhere from an inch coating on the highway, to 3-6" rutted, packed snow within my neighborhood. In all my years of driving just about any type of vehicle through any condition, I've never had as much inspired confidence behind the wheel as I did after driving my '10 6S GT. I had complete control of the car through slippery corners, without spinning or sliding. I was passing SUVs on the highway with no problem. Even changing lanes was effortless, and anyone that's driven on a snowy highway knows that the rutted, piled snow that builds up between the lanes and tire ruts can cause an instant slide. No problem here.

Granted, I had winter tires installed (Dunlop SP WinterSport M3s), but after having the same exact tire model on my '04, I still noticed a remarkable improvement. I always had to switch off the TCS on my '04 in ANY type of snowy driving, but I left the DSC on this morning, and I still had plenty of traction without ANY intervention from the DSC. I always thought my '04 (V6/MTX) was great in the snow, but it doesn't hold a candle to my '10 (V6/ATX).

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks up front | Triton V3 Turn Signals out back | Full LED Taillamps
"Then he takes out a cigar and enjoys the ride" - Byakuya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
One word: Excellent!

Today was my first morning commute dealing with snow, anywhere from an inch coating on the highway, to 3-6" rutted, packed snow within my neighborhood. In all my years of driving just about any type of vehicle through any condition, I've never had as much inspired confidence behind the wheel as I did after driving my '10 6S GT. I had complete control of the car through slippery corners, without spinning or sliding. I was passing SUVs on the highway with no problem. Even changing lanes was effortless, and anyone that's driven on a snowy highway knows that the rutted, piled snow that builds up between the lanes and tire ruts can cause an instant slide. No problem here.

Granted, I had winter tires installed (Dunlop SP WinterSport M3s), but after having the same exact tire model on my '04, I still noticed a remarkable improvement. I always had to switch off the TCS on my '04 in ANY type of snowy driving, but I left the DSC on this morning, and I still had plenty of traction without ANY intervention from the DSC. I always thought my '04 (V6/MTX) was great in the snow, but it doesn't hold a candle to my '10 (V6/ATX).
Last winter I drove my '10 sGT on plain jane Firestone winterforce tires that I had for my MS3 and it handled perfectly. The firestones are a little soft but overall it was as confidence inspiring as you say.

2010 Mazda 6s GT Ebony w/Tech
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been through one winter in my 2009s GT. I am riding on the original 18" tires.

I was very happy with the car. I had thought about getting winters, but in the city the only time they would be needed is in the alley or while driving during a storm. But in those situations with the original tires I was impressed with the car.

There was even an instant were I felt the DSC kick in. What a cool feeling that was. It's hard to explain, but it felt like the car took the rear end and put it back into place.

When these original tires wear out I may go with 3 season tires and a set of 16" winters. I will see when the times comes. I will probably be due for new tires at the end of next summer.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts
3 season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz23 View Post
I've been through one winter in my 2009s GT. I am riding on the original 18" tires.

I was very happy with the car. I had thought about getting winters, but in the city the only time they would be needed is in the alley or while driving during a storm. But in those situations with the original tires I was impressed with the car.

There was even an instant were I felt the DSC kick in. What a cool feeling that was. It's hard to explain, but it felt like the car took the rear end and put it back into place.

When these original tires wear out I may go with 3 season tires and a set of 16" winters. I will see when the times comes. I will probably be due for new tires at the end of next summer.
Do you mean summer or winter? IMO the GT alloys are very good looking IMO and fill out the wheel wells err well. Not sure how 16's would look year round.

BTW there was a point when I first purchased the car where I didn't have snows and had to drive in snow. The only thing that scared me on with the Michelins was when the car was on ice and slid. The firestone winterforces handle ice much better.

2010 Mazda 6s GT Ebony w/Tech
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to dardano
I agree that the 10 mazda6 is a great car in the snow. way better than my old 3.
I'm on General Tire Altimax Arctic 16in and I feel secure.

| 2010 Mazda 6 2.5L GT w/ Luxury package | Black Onyx |
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
you thought your 04 v6/mtx was great in the snow? my first winter with the exact same car sucked, it's junk in the snow, i came from a 95 beretta z26 with regular all performance tires and never had a single issue in the snow, my 6 had bridgestone turanza's with meat left sucked if the road had a little coating. now it's parked when it snows, and the jeep is out.

2004 6S MTX Blazing Copper
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

Let me clarify:

'04 6 with OEM rubber = suck
'04 6 with winter tires = rocks

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks up front | Triton V3 Turn Signals out back | Full LED Taillamps
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I drove many cars but Mazda is specific to the snow with winter tires give you advice but the whole electronics, TCS and other shit do not help to get out of the snow and winter this year gave hell.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Mazda is a 6 '09 Grand Touring with 235 45 18 tires. i found snow tires of size
215 65 16. will they fit. does anyone have these tire on their 6 . looking forward to hearing from you
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokat View Post
My Mazda is a 6 '09 Grand Touring with 235 45 18 tires. i found snow tires of size
215 65 16. will they fit. does anyone have these tire on their 6 . looking forward to hearing from you
I haven't tried a direct swap myself, but when I considered that size, I've been told that the tire size is too tall, and you'll hit the struts.

OEM size is 205/65-16. I went with 215/60-16s, and have had no problem with rubbing, and are still within the 2-3% error compared to the 18" size.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page