Mazda 6 Forums banner

Tires

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  pepe 
#1 ·
So, if you were looking for 225.45.19 tires, and you had a choice of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (W or Y); Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus; BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S, or Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06, which would you go for?
You're looking at about a total of a grand for the Mich, 800 for the BFG or Pirelli, or 750 for the Contis, mounted and balanced at DT.

BTW, the Pirelli doesn't come in 225.45, they're 245.45 but according to DT they fit. The diameter is 27.7", OE is 27", and the Conti DWS06 is 27.4" in OE size. Your results may vary.

#2 ·
Always the proper size first, ruling out the other tires. Even ignoring that, I would go with the A/S 3+'s over any of the others. Comp 2 A/S's don't hold a candle to the Michelins, Continentals are hit or miss, and the Pirelli's also are not up to snuff with the Michelins. This comes from someone who has owned exact sets of the above that you've listed out.

#3 ·
17,000mi and my Conti DWS06 still look factory new. Been very happy with them. The Michelins would be a good bet also, but I got a hell of a deal on the Conti as a bonus.

I'll probably give the Michelins a go when I wear through my Contis. Now that I have a second commuter car, though, it may take a while

#5 ·
I have the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S on my wife's Accord, 215/50-17. They are a great all season UHP tire! That said, you can go wrong with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ or Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06. Factor in overall price and expected wear to your equation when you make your decision, good luck with your purchase!

Reactions: Neanderthal
#7 ·
I always go on tirerack and read the customer reviews. There are some good named tires that only get 3 out of 5 stars because of a certain reason and the consumers reviews usually reveal what the issues are( such as "its a very loud tire" or "they only lasted 15K miles"). Ive always bought tires this way and always had tires I was happy with after I started using the reviews. Some of my best tires have been 2nd tier brands like Nexen or Nankang. On my last Tundra, Nexen made the best set of tires I put on it and the list included BF's, Michelin and continental. The continentals came on it when I bought it new and they rode well but were trash in less than 20K miles, the BF's were good for the first half of their life then rode like crap the second half. The Michelin's sucked from the first mile!! Nexen lasted 15K more than any other tire and were the quietest of any of them. I got 55K miles out of them!! And handled better longer than all the rest. But that was the particular tire size on that vehicle. Paying more doesnt always mean getting a better tire.

#8 ·
I have the Michelin AS3 and like them. Downside is they don't seem to last long. I'm probably going to get about 25K out of them. Then again I drive short distances ~7-20 miles a day and up to a hundred on the weekends. My understanding is that tires last longest when they get up to temp. Short distances do not allow them to achieve proper OT. FWIW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I like to try everything once.
On a previous vehicle, I have used the contis and they are good tires. They did wear a faster than others and maybe a bit squirmier in corners at high speeds
But solid tire, no doubt

Another tire that comes in that size is the Goodyear F1 asymmetric, I had a really good experience with them.
Handles well, and fantastic wear for some reason. With me they lasted forever

Im about to mount the bf goodrich gforce comp 2 a/s on my 6gt.
I have heard good things and the come out a bit easier on the wallet relative to the others

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.