Mazda 6 Forums banner

Continental ExtremeContact DW Being Discontinued?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Chuckie 
#1 ·
I tried ordering these at America's Tire on Black Friday for $158 less a rebate of $75 for a set of 4.

They are available on the website, but the local store said they are special order and that they couldn't get them since they weren't going to be available anymore.

Anyone have these? Are they worth trying to get elsewhere and installed before they go away (if thats even true)?

#2 ·
In all honesty, the DWS is almost a performance match with the DW, has longer life, and can get you home on the freakish day in October when it snows.

I have been through a few sets of DWSs, and could never find a reason for a DW.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I run dws on both cars and love them. The 6 is on its 2nd set. The dws were also discontinued for the dws 06....basically the same tire though.

#4 ·
Yep, presumably the same thing is happening to the DW. We await the successor DW 06 I guess. For the DWS 06 the only real improvement was wet traction, per the reviews, so I would expect the same for the DWs.

#7 ·
I live in Corona. I got a little snow on the dws' coming down the Cajon on Thursday. That's about as winter as it gets. Haha.

#9 ·
BF Goodrich are always very grippy. Contis also ride very soft although at the expense of stability and are the lightest tire available in our sizes. Goodrich's are kinda heavy, which subtly affects a lot of things negatively.

Personally, grip is the least of my concerns when I buy a UHP all season or max summer tire since all are kinda grippy, and it is fun to be able to exceed the tire limits anyways. It's getting everything else that I care about that matters more.

#10 ·
They just came out with a new model the dws06. I just slapped them on and i can say that they are quieter than the oem dunlaps. I used to have a set of extremecontact dw on my miata but after killing them i have a set of Gforce rivals for that stickiness. All in all they are very good tires all around.

#11 ·
When selecting a tire, I wanted an AA rating for traction and used Tireracks's rating scale for the other parameters.<br><br>When I was getting BFGoodrich, Continental haven't yet come out with new model, I think.<br>At any rate, BF has literally amazing grip, and are quieter and softer vs stock Dunlops, although admittedly mine were worn, and I could not remember how they were when new<br><br>Solar is correct that BFGoodrich is heavier: 4 pounds per corner. Here's Tirerack's ratings for Continetal's new model of ExtremeContact vs Comp 2 A/S. As can be seen, Comp 2  A/S beats ExtremContact in all handling characteristics, and this what was important to me.

#12 ·
It's a survey. And the mileage for comparison ratings are miles apart (pun).
But my prior set of dws handled great, made little noise, never let me feel uncomfortable on wet roads, AND lasted 73k miles. I changed both fronts just to keep them balanced and the passenger tire was at 57k miles. This is with my fairly low 2g and apparently a decent alignment. Now I can see if the 06's are any different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.