A/S tire choices for 2014 Mazda6 - thoughts / my research - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
A/S tire choices for 2014 Mazda6 - thoughts / my research

So, I like to stick with TR for our tire purchases, and have been very satisfied so far.

Wife's 2014 Mazda 6 has 35k miles right now, and the OE Dunlops (summers) are terrible in wet weather and wife complained several times how bad they hyrdoplane, and overall bad in rain. Dry weather performance is good. I have had horrible experiences with them in rain, so I can confirm wife's info.

Anyway, before winter starts, I am thinking of replacing them with a good A/S tire (Don't need TOP of the line, but want "good" bang for the buck).

Due to the weird size, not many available but one of the new tires that I have been very interested in / been curious about, General GMax AS03 is one them

So, I thought I'd post all A/S choices for this car on TR, and then post a direct TR survey comparo of the OE (Current) Dunlops VS the Gmax below:

FIRST, THE 7 CHOICES (A/S). (2 pics):

NOW the OE Dunlop Survey VS the GMax:
(Pay attn to wet weather performance differences)

DUNLOP:

GMAX:

The Gmax, with a smaller price, beats the Dunlops out of the water, at least according to the surveys, IMO. I am very inclined to go with them.

2 more pics of Gmax tests vs some other tires:

Should I go with the Gmax AS03 ?

2014 MAzda 6 Touring - Blue Reflex Mica - Tech Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2014 has less than 5k on the odo, but if I were buying new tires today the Gmax AS03 would probably be the one I'd go with. Doesn't look like they would be great in snow or ice but I'm covered there. (I'll be running General Altimax Arctic's on dedicated rims in the winter.) The Yokohama ADVAN Sport looks interesting but too new to have meaningful feedback yet. Hopefully a few more 19" choices will appear over the next year or so.

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groans: 0
I would look again at the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum - if hydroplaning is a concern, read and compare the reviews - this would be one to consider.

I had these same Dunlops on my previous car - and puddles were like stunt ramps...

Last edited by Firefly6; 08-19-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Groans: 11
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
I picked up a set of the Kumho's a few months ago and have put ~8-10k miles on them and they're good tires for the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Has your Mazda ever climbed a mountain?
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm still torn on this.. I've been putting it off for 5K miles because I can't make up my mind. I'm stuck between the Nitto Motivo, Pirelli CintuRato P7, A/S3 AND the michelin primacy (dealer recommending that one heavily.. but at 1K.. sheesh)

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
)
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I ran Michelin on my motorcycle (3 sets and i know apples to oranges) and we run the defender tires on my wife's car and have been fantastic. I loathe Dunlops in general and Goodyear due to past experiences.

Wife had stock Kumhos and i was not a fan in anything other than dry conditions be they seem to have good reviews. My money will be on the Michelin Pilot Sport.
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Generals are perfect if you don't care about road noise. Good grip cheap and lightweight. They are kinda loud out of the gate and only get louder from their. The current dunlops are considered loud too so if it hasn't bothered you yet, the Generals probably wont bother you either.

Continental Extremcontact DWS are good too as long as you don't mind a soft sidewall whcih has the tradeoff of less responsive stearing for better ride, but it's all relative to other ultra high performance tires. They are also cheap light and have good grip.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;

Last edited by solar365; 08-20-2014 at 09:35 PM.
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I'm going with the Yokohama Advan A/S when I need tires next year. They look to be the best bang for the buck. I really don't want a noisy cheap General.

post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

A few points:

-Yoko Advan Sport A/S looks good but no reviews or surveys on tire rack... how do I REALLY know they're good when they're so new?
On the other hand the Yoko Avid Envigor has pretty good reviews and enough data to have surveys on TR; Why would one choose Avid Sport over Advan Envigor?
--Generel is "cheap"? The Altimax HPs have been great on a different car - and isn't General owned by Continental? I am just curious as to if the General GMax is automatically BAD because their price is low compared to others...
--Conti DWS is not available in OE size.

2014 MAzda 6 Touring - Blue Reflex Mica - Tech Package

Last edited by washburn; 08-21-2014 at 12:31 PM.
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
You said you were looking for A/S tires. If you are going to run them during the winter, you really do not want a wider tire. Not that 235 is especially wide, but fat tires are more prone to riding on top of snow/water so grip is always an issue with non-optimal road conditions. Just something to consider.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring -- MT
Formula One Tint: 50% Front, 35%Rear
TRS 5000K HID Headlights
Corksport LED Package
Black Vinyl Roof
** Corksport Springs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page