Corrosion of Tire Valve Stems - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 2nd Generation (2008-2013) > Wheels / Tires
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

TPMS could actually save an expensive wheel and tire when used with low profile tires like on our MS6. Wish mine had it. Not much volume of air and distance between wheel flang and the road is not much. If you pick up a nail or glass cut while driving you may not have the chance to see it first or figure out you have a problem before it is to late. So TPMS is good for certain installations.
Speed135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrojans12 View Post
I think ABS and airbags are relatively older features. I am referring to cars that park themselves, brake if you get too close to another car, lock all the doors when you put the car into drive, tell you when you need an oil change, have cameras, etc. etc. All these new features in the last 5-10 years are ridiculous in my opinion. It's becoming more and more a robot that drives you, rather than you taking control of the car. Give me a 1996-early 2000's car over a 2011 model any day.
I agree with the parking itself. Those systems are still slower than a human being can do it.

But,
- auto-locking of doors is nice and safe.
- Oil change monitors can save money, by not having you change oil that is still in good condition.
- cameras (or sonar parking aid) are nice when you need to get into a tigh parking spot.

sadly none of the above features are available on the Mazda 6.

www.tzphotos.com

tommyz23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Learners License

Groans: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz23 View Post
I agree with the parking itself. Those systems are still slower than a human being can do it.

But,
- Oil change monitors can save money, by not having you change oil that is still in good condition.
- cameras (or sonar parking aid) are nice when you need to get into a tigh parking spot.

Well auto lock is and rear camera is w/ navigation

Also you live in the city or the burbs?

2007 Black Mica Speed 3 - Traded

iguanaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaboy View Post
Well auto lock is and rear camera is w/ navigation.
...And I've seen oil life monitors that also kick on BEFORE 3K miles on a softly-driven daily driver before.

As for the auto-locks, I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mid-year change in 2010, since I've seen some '10 owners say they don't have 'em, while my '10 (a later build) has 'em, as well as other '10 owners.

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks | Full LED Taillamps
"Then he takes out a cigar and enjoys the ride" - Byakuya
Mz6GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

I've said this before... It's too bad they don't offer updates to the cars software. It would be nice to benefit from features like autolock. The car has the inputs/outputs for many of the things some of us want, it's just not in the programing.

In a pipe dream it would be open source and allow you to program the creature comfort functions. I can see them limiting the drivetrain and safety mods.

www.tzphotos.com

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
As for the auto-locks, I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mid-year change in 2010, since I've seen some '10 owners say they don't have 'em, while my '10 (a later build) has 'em, as well as other '10 owners.
I think it might have been. I have a 2010 Mazda6, purchased 10/2009, but no auto-locks. It's ok...never hurts to just do it manually. Still would be a nice feature. Also, the slightly upgraded stereo with the small screen was not available either. Or at least I didn't see it on any 6's at multiple dealerships.
DDM 5000k HIDs | LEDs | OEM LED Tails | CorkSport SRI | HD Lip
hotstreak2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Learners License

Default Mazda 6 Tire Valve Stem Problem (Should be a recall item)

I read a couple of articles people have written about problems with leaking valve stems on their Mazda 6 vehicles. Recently, I experienced the problem first hand and this is a problem that should be on a recall notice item from Mazda. Two weeks ago, I took my vehicle in to get the tires checked for a slow leak in one of the front tires. They checked for leaks but could not find anything, however, by tires did need replacment because the were down to the wear indicator marks. After replacing the tires, they informed me that the Low pressure sensor light did not reset, but it should reset automatically after a couple miles of driving. That same evening, on my way home form work, my front tire went flat again. When the serviceman came to pump up the tire, the end of the valve stem popped off as he was filling the tire with air and the tire deflated like a popped balloon! Needless to say, I was not impressed and the serviceman said it was a good thing I was not driving when that happened. I called the tire shop and they replaced my tire without question. They also put a rubber valve stem in because the specified valve stem is on back order. They told me it was a metal corrosion problem resulting from salt corroding the valve stem at the base of the removable cap. One week later, the other front tire started to leak and it was the same issue. Now I am curious how long before the other 2 go, however, I can only visually check the tires because the low pressure light is on all the time, since I am still waiting for my replacement valve stem to be installed.

In almost 30 years of driving vehicles, I have never heard of valve stems that are only designed to last 2 years, when they cost $80 to purchase. Obviously, there is a problem with them since the replacement parts are supposedly still on back order.

Lesson learned to pass on to every Mazda 6 driver:
Get your valve stems checked as soon as the low pressure light starts coming on, expecially if it is one of your front tires to avoid loss of control if the valve stem pops off while driving.
mKuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKuhlmann View Post
That same evening, on my way home form work, my front tire went flat again. When the serviceman came to pump up the tire, the end of the valve stem popped off as he was filling the tire with air and the tire deflated like a popped balloon!
What year and model is your 6?

www.tzphotos.com

Old 07-29-2011, 05:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
Learners License

Default Tyre Valves - UK

Hi All, Good Morning.

I know this is an old thread now but perhaps some good news for the tyre valves, of which may help you get a refund if you have spent money to get them fixed.

www.mazda-campaign.co.uk • View topic - As an urgent matter of safety CHECK YOUR VALVE STEMS!

My members have uploaded 2 seperate documents that state Mazda have agreed to change the material on these valves (replace them with something new), there is a soft recall also with reference: ab018a.

I know this is in the UK but it should make no difference as the material used is the same.

Do you guys believe this to be a safety issue, whereas my valves snapped and i heard a huge bang, the tyres deflated within 10 seconds.

I hope this helps you lot.

Mehdi - Admin
www.mazda-campaign.co.uk
medievil2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 AM   #30 (permalink)
Learners License

Hey all, I bought my 2010 6 a few weeks ago with 48k miles on it. both rear tpms were bad, due to the threaded part of the stem snapping off right at the base of the cap. As a side note, the car has 16" steelies with hubcaps and just by looking at the wheel with the cap off, there was a tremendous amount of dirt that has built up on the wheel. I'm positive the tpms are failing due to corrosion. I called the local mazda dealer to check if they would be covered under warranty to install, as the dealer I bought the car from was 200 miles away from where I live. The service tech at the mazda dealer informed me that even though my car is still under warranty. mazda only has a 36k mile warranty on their sensors. Here's my question though. I hate the tpm system completely. I know that in some situations it may be nice, but it's just not for me. I want to change all the tpms to plain rubber valve stems. But if I do that, will my indicator light stay on? Or will the light shutoff because it finds there are no sensors at all?

Thanks
2010silver6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.