New Toyo Tires Say Left and Right, Does It Matter? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Wheels / Tires
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to HedsIc

Ok, I got a new set of rims and put on some Toyo Proxes FZ4's.

My question is.. I did not even pay attention until today, the tires say right on 2 and left on the other 2.

How important is it that I follow that suggestion? or is that just there so you remember incase you take them off so you know what wheel go'ss to what side?

I ask because I realized that the back left say RIGHT on it and the from right say LEFT.

My other concern is that I've already driven about 15-20 miles on them so if I do need to follow the left/right suggestions on the side of the tires, is it to late since i would be changing the rotation of the tires to the opposite way even with that little miles? I don't want to screw the new tires up at all.

Next question. I forogt to put the hubcentric rings the wheels came with (73.00mm/67.10mm) on out of excitement to get the wheels on the car.. Are these a must have on thing?
I get no vibratng a high speeds and they seem to be center on. But then again youcant always judge by sight.
HedsIc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to goguen89

Its just because you have a directional tire. If they're put on right, "right" will be written on the right side tires and "left" on the lefts. If you would look on the inside of the tire, you would see it says the opposite.

And you don't NEED the rings if you use a correct torquing patern and make sure the wheel is centered on the hub, the rings just make it easier
2005 Mazda6i Sport GS Manual Steel Gray - 17x8 Enkei RPF1 GOLD with 235/45ZR17 Toyo Proxes4 (saving 8lbs per corner) - K&N Filter - Airbox Mod - LED Backup Lights - LED front and rear dome lights - SS Defender shift knob - Pulstar Pulse plugs - Mobil1 synthetic - Apexcone 35W 8000K HID kit in low beam and fog light - CX7 Antenna
[url="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967696"]Not slowing down for turns improves your gas mileage
goguen89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

then there is no need to swap the tire that says right over to the right side then?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

QUOTE (goguen89 @ Jul 9 2009, 11:10 PM)
Quote:
Its just because you have a directional tire. If they're put on right, "right" will be written on the right side tires and "left" on the lefts. If you would look on the inside of the tire, you would see it says the opposite.[/b]
Directional tires usually have an arrow showing rotation direction on the sidewall. I've never seen (symmetric) directional tires state right/left, but I suppose they could.

There are tires on the market that are both directional and have asymmetric tread. Since these have a defined inside and outside and a set rotational direction, you need two "left" tires and two "right" tires when purchasing a set. Such tires are rare, and I've found nothing to suggest the Toyo Proxes FZ4 fall in this category.

The Proxes FZ4 appear to be conventional directional tires, and can be mounted on either side of the car as long as they rotate in the correct direction. The direction of the tread pattern should make it obvious if a tire is mounted rotating the wrong way.

"AWD Driving: This vehicle has not been designed for the purpose of off-road driving or rallies. Do not attempt to drive over uneven or rocky surfaces, or across rivers."
jd42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

QUOTE (jd42 @ Jul 10 2009, 08:53 AM)
Quote:
Directional tires usually have an arrow showing rotation direction on the sidewall. I've never seen (symmetric) directional tires state right/left, but I suppose they could.

There are tires on the market that are both directional and have asymmetric tread. Since these have a defined inside and outside and a set rotational direction, you need two "left" tires and two "right" tires when purchasing a set. Such tires are rare, and I've found nothing to suggest the Toyo Proxes FZ4 fall in this category.

The Proxes FZ4 appear to be conventional directional tires, and can be mounted on either side of the car as long as they rotate in the correct direction. The direction of the tread pattern should make it obvious if a tire is mounted rotating the wrong way.[/b]

Look for an arrow and make sure it is pointing towards the front of the car! If there is no arrow. Do what was mentioned and check the inside and see if there is a left labeled on it visa versa for the other side. A directional tire the wrong way will kill your traction....
05 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Fiance's)
darkcherry6s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JDM6

Toyo FZ4 are uni-directional. The water won't channel out properly if you have them on the wrong side. I just threw away a set the other day. If it helps, look at the treads. Notice how it has an arrow like "V" shape. The arrow like "V" shape should be pointing towards the front of the car.
<span style="color:#2F4F4F"><span style="font-family:Impact">Mazda6s 2003</span></span>

Injen CAI w/CP-E MAF | Grill & eyelids | Anzo clearsidemarkers | window visor | Metra kit w/Pioneer DEH-P7700MP | 18"RX-8 rims wrapped w/Dunlop SP Sport Signature l Magnaflows | R1 Concept slotted/cross-drilled rotors | Pulstar | Mazdaspeed | Cordova's Optimized TB | 35% tint |

Coming soon: Tein-H springs, Koni Yellow shocks....
JDM6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok cool. thanks for the help. I'm going to correct it tonight. I jsut got a head of myself when installing them and didn't even pay attention
Old 07-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

post pic of ur new rims..
Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

QUOTE (Spingjp Mazda 6 @ Jul 10 2009, 01:23 PM)
Quote:
post pic of ur new rims..[/b]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.